Australian Tree Ferns - Indoors?

Danville, IN

Has anyone had experience with growing the Australian tree fern indoors in a sunroom year-round. I just love the look of them, but am unsure if they will do well indoors. The room is sunny, but has shady areas. It's really a plant room as it is full of plants! Thanks.

(Zone 1)

Here's the link to Plant Files for Australian Tree Fern: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55695/

Scroll down to the bottom and read some of the comments. Looks like a couple of people grow them in containers. I would think if you can provide the right amount of light and humidity it would survive.

Danville, IN

Yeah. I did check the link to Plant Files and read the info. Seems the only people growing them, in the ground or pots, are in Florida or California. I have always loved them, and hope to try one in the sunroom. Worth a gamble?

Danville, IN

plantladylin: I did go to your link just now, which was a different Plant Files entry than I had found (?). The info on "your's" was most helpful and encouraging. I'm going to try one now, with more confidence. Thanks.

(Zone 1)

I'd say go for it! Can't hurt to try! I have tried many plants over the years .. if they like it in my house and survive, that is great If not ... well, I'll just give their space to something else! ^_^

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've tried (more than once, as I LOVE these!) and NOT succeeded, BUT...I don't have a sunroom.
I know it's been done by others in the 'north' and they usually do have greenhouses or sunrooms.

I'd go for it, too, if I were in your shoes....maybe start with a smaller one so that you don't have to invest too much money in it, initially?

I purchased a couple of small ones on ebay, and I'm sure they're still for sale there regularly. Cowboyflowerman and lkjfern (I think that's the ID..not certain) usually have very nice ferns.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.