Large bearded iris, lets show them

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

JanetS, this is the iris I told you about, and as men who measure fish, I was a little off, They are 39" tall, but to me thats big, and beautiful. Mike

Thumbnail by mqiq77

I wish I could put four pics together, but here is the best pic of rhizone I could get.Mike

This message was edited Apr 26, 2008 8:52 PM

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Mike, does it smell? I have some tall ones that smell like grape koolaid.

You know, I think that is the smell.I stuck my nose in it yesterday.Mike

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

So pretty Mike. Here's my contribution from Maypop cottage.

Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

and...

last one and I'm back to day three of a three and one half day planting marathon. Then back to Atlanta.

L

Love the yellow, I don't have any.I bought some from wally world, and they had completly died, from neglect.Mika

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Irises seem to be having a great season this year. I'm not sure what distinguishes a bearded iris from the cleanshaven ones so I don't know if these qualify or not. (I'll be glad for someone to enlighten me)

Thumbnail by Artgal

Ummm, I'm not very knowledgeable here, but there are a bunch of different types. The bearded ones are the ones withe the "fur" on what I think is called the "falls" (that's opposed to the petals that are more closed) They generally have that fan type foliage. Then there are Siberians which are usually smaller. There are ones that live in or close to water. Flag iris would be an example of these, but I think there are a bunch of marsh types. Many more, some having tiny flowers and grassy leaves, some small and some tall. The "beardies" are usually very popular because they are big and showy.

Mike, I'm so new to online communication that I had to ask DH why other states had a retailer called Wally World and Georgia did not. I told him it seemed like a great place and and people were finding all kinds of bargains there! Lots of eye rolling on his part (LOL).

Laurel

Love it !!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Batik

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Edith Wolford

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay here goes...lol
Blatant

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Magic Pallette

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Indian Giver

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Muse

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Unknown Purple

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Painted Cloud

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Red Canyon Glow

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Unknown Lavendar/White

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Cherub's Choir

Thumbnail by JanetS
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

What a beautiful array Janet. The magic palette is indeed magic!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Invitation

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Fashion Fandangle

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

unknown white

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Crimson King

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank AG..everytime one opens up, my DH says "Oh, that one is my favorite!" LOL
Another picture different time of day...
Magic Pallette

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Art Deco

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Conspiracy

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

this is the one I think looks like yours Mike...I don't have an ID though...older one....

Thumbnail by JanetS
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

Magic Pallette has unusual color pairing. Conspiracy ain't too shy either! How many (roughly) different varieties do you have, Janet? Are bearded irises a main collection for you?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Blue...may be Silverado...not sure though.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have no idea how many different ones....I would guess well over a hundred...but I haven't got my lists on this computer so I really don't have a clue....I love the Bearded and the dutch, siberian, japanese, louisiana ...all of the Iris, I have a few of them all....I have lots of Day lilies, Asiatics, Orientals, etc. I guess Lilies and Iris are my main attractions, but I have lots of different things...I have about 1/2 acre that is gardens, so it is quite the mish mash of stuff! LOL

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I have about thirty in bloom right now and lots more to come....here is a picture of the front walkway, yellow dutch Iris here...not the best picture, but they are eight years old now...

Thumbnail by JanetS
Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

I like lilies and irises too because they just bloom and multiply on their own (as long as the deer don't get them). If you have a good reference to learn which irises are which, please pass it along. (and thanks to MaypopLaurel for her explanation, too).

Love that red canyon glow, and the yello dutch. I have a weakness for iris, and lillies too. Mike

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

another unknown...love the blue beards on this one

Thumbnail by JanetS
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

JanetS you have lovely collection and thes are also from Your garden. Silverado didnot bloom yet but plants are healthy and big, may be soon or next year.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, Kaleem, that is a beauty! I am so thrilled it is doing so well for you. I think it may be Amazon Bride....mine is not blooming here yet...but I do have a stalk with buds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.