Which Ones Are a No Show?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Or UpNorth Al if you are one of the priveleged (I can't spell that word and give up after 5 tries). ;)

I am going to move a few of them out back as soon as they bloom. Transplanting doesn't seem to bother them--unlike my echie's. Right now is kinda peak bloom time for them down here (the daylilies that is). Al has quite an extensive collection of echie's and I'm sure he'll give us an update on the survivor's as soon as the snow melts up there.

Art's Pride is Twilight, huh? My echie's are staying put...I finally have some worth showing this year.

If I ever get some time soon, I hope to start some rudi's--been too busy for those so far. Got a really pathetic example of a zinnia I tried this spring, I'll save that one for another day.

The only echie that has survived out back in the full sun is White Swan. I even accidently sprayed it twice with roundup and the fencing guys stepped all over it re-doing part of the fence. Its still alive and looking better than it ever has...

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Debbie.....I suggest a raincoat and a football helmet for you echies from just what I know about their growing situation from what you've shared with us......so far......:)

Paul from Alabama

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Art's Pride isn't Twilight, Orange Meadowbright is the other name for it.

Funny story about White Swan. My neighbor wanted me to kill a ditchlily she had growing - I never did.

thanks Al--I knew several of them had multiple names (I guess otherwise it would be a lot easier keeping up with them) and was "mulling" over that one at High Country Gardens but finally settled in on a replacement Sunrise and a new Twilight.

gotta admire White Swan--true grit that one has. I also have one out front in another area about 3 cm from the trunk of a live oak tree (tree wasn't big when it was planted) that really hangs in there too. that's a funny looking one worthy of a picture tomorrow--both of those were grown from seed. An easy echie from seed.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice Pic Debbie :) My 1 year old clump is now sending up several blooms and my new clump is growing nicely.

Sigh.......maybe our nurseries will start getting some nice ones in by next year......I'll have to put a bug in their ear!

Lynn--I think it was a freak of nature (actually synchronicity, I don't believe in coincidences) that our HD had them and I just happened to be there when they did. I never go there unless I need some sort of supplies I don't have. They have settled into their home nicely--and I have my glass mulch for another project, so I doubt I will be at HD again for a couple of months.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Debbie.....I'm a BIG believer in that everything is connected :o)

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

At this point, it would seem so much easier just to outline what I know came back. The list is much shorter and the tags are long gone from those places that no longer have a plant.

So. Purpurea, Kim's Kneehigh, Paradoxa. I can't see anything else that hardly closely resembles the coneflowers........unless you want to count the Rudbeckias. They did much better on survival.

I have the Arizona Sun, Burgundy, Fanfare, Golden Goblin, and the native blanket flower.

But here's one with the common name but not really even a coneflower.

Prairie Coneflower:

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Ratibidas are coneflowers as are rudbeckias by most definitions.

Thanks Al. I was hoping you would say that.

Molly
:^)))

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It is a reminder that we need to get on Dave to put up an official homepage for this forum with a description and banner.

I think rudi's are coneflowers too, some of the zinnia's actually fit that definition in my opinion.

nice pic Molly

Thanks Debbie

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Al do you stake any of your conies?....for whatever reason?

Paul from Alabama

not I--haven't needed to (in my dreams they would be 5' high and need it)
=)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have staked a few, mainly because the wind can whip them a lot.

Henry Eilers rudbeckia and Ratibida pinnata always need it.

My Purpurea grow really tall and needed staking last year. Top heavy and all. The Praire CF, on the other hand, are pretty lightweight so haven't needed it. But they are growing near a trellis too, protected from the wind by the jasmine vines.

Molly

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I've never grown Henry Eilers but it looks like a pretty thing.....I like rudbeckias.....I grow a few....Herbstonne, maxima( the cabbage type), Goldstrum, tribola, indian summer....the usual suspects.....gotta like yellow and I do....nice to have stuff blooming late too, like most of those do, at least down this way......

any of you folks grow them big swamp flower, the Helianthus angustifolius......I grow them and they're great for corners I think....like one plant for a specimen.....and this year I'm trying out a new cultivar, new for me anyways, Lemon Queen, got it from plant delights....its supposed to be a doozy....this lady I know grows it and she has several in a wad and its something come August/fall or so...

Paul from Alabama

not me on the Helianthus angustifolius, Paul--not enough real estate, but I do love it! Make sure you post some pic's of that Lemon Queen, curiosity killed this cat long ago...
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.