Which Ones Are a No Show?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have no sign of Sundown, Sun Rise, Harvest Moon and Fragrant Angel. All the other are up and seemed to have increase for the most part.

I am disappointed about Harvest Moon, but I have another one ordered to replace it, from a different vendor. The other 2 just didn't impress me enough to bother replacing them.

I got these 4 plus three others all from the same vendor. The survivors are Summer Sky, After Midnight & Twilight.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Real quiet here yet. Many of them have been real slow for me in the past.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I've finally figured out what these guys like down here--although I must admit, this plant has been one of my biggest challenges (why? who knows--probably because I like them). They like their feet in the shade and their blooms in the sun. Shaded to the west by daylillies and to the east by crinums. Now maybe I can get a few more this year......

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Has to be a fine line between keeping them cool and them not flowering in the shade.

My seedlings in pots I heeled in over winter are fine - seeds from Pixie Meadowbright and Primadonna White - I'll find out if they are true this year.

It is a fine line upNorth Al--but a determined person can make it work.
=)

Liverpool, NY(Zone 5a)

It's just warming up in Central New York Zone 4 to 5, and I've lost all but three of my newest coneflowers. I see small growth on the three, but all the rest were new cultivars, Fragrant Angel, Double Frills, just to mention a couple. I am very disappointed in the results of an expensive addiction to all the newest colors. I've lost Sundown in the past, but never the pink coneflower -- it's a never fail beauty.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Everything has started new growth now except 'After Midnight'. 'Coconut Lime', 'Summer Sky' and 'Harvest Moon' have good amount of growth now. 'Twilight' was worrying me but now is showing tiny bits of growth on all three plants as well.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

OK, you guys, I'm watching this thread and I need some updates! I'd like to try and get some of these next year, the pretty muted shades like sundown and sunset, but I need ot know what I will have the most luck with. Did they come up or are they dead? And do you all suppose any of these wonderful new ones are heat tolerant?

All of mine are back and most are fixin' to bloom--looks like Sunrise will be the first.

Debbie
=)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh Debbie! Which ones are you growing in Tx? So far I just have the plain species one, wanted to make sure I could even grow that one well before venturing out and spending $ on the pretty ones. I have had one clump for a year and it's getting to be a nice clump and another one I planted this year, doing beautifully. Can't wait to hear what pretties you've had come back this year!

Lynn

OK Lynn, you asked for it--lol

I currently am the proud owner of 11 healthy (and I'm proud to say that--but its early in the season yet) echinacea's. And considering the almost total neglect they received last summer and the summer before (I was bogged down with some other plants), I'm surprised I have that many left. I have much more time to devote to them this year and I'm into them again because they are a wonderful diversion from all these bulbs that I have to deal with. Luckily, I have a "routine" down with the bulbs now and have more free time in the spring and summer.

I actually don't have any of the species (Echinacea purpurea anyway): I know I have 1 Magnus, 2 White Swan's, 1 Sunrise, 1 Twilight, 1 Harvest Moon, 1 Sundown, and 1 Fatal attraction. Then I have 3 I need to ID when they bloom this year and make them a nice label on a metal plant marker so I don't lose track of who is who. Those 3 could be any of the following--I suppose ya'll will help me sort them out and ID them: Echinacea paradoxa, Ruby Star, Primadonna Rose (pretty sure one of them is this one), Primadonna white, or Sparkler (don't think this one is among the living, but we shall see). Way upnorth Al is excellent at ID'ing from photo's.

Now I have probably killed at least 20 plants over the last 5 years--it took me a while to figure out exactly how to grow them down here where they will bloom well and be happy. This is what I have figured out for my property. They want a lot of winter sun (mine seldom lose all of their leaves until late January, if at all), they prefer drier winters, and they want no more than a half day sun in July, August, and most of September. Less than that is actually even better then because they aren't going to bloom much then, anyway. They like growing on a slope (a slope is relative in Houston, we are definitely flatlanders here). They like all being close together (I guess the expression "bulbs like company" applies to them also). They like a nice fluffy thick mulch of oak leaves topped off with finely shredded hardwood mulch in summer. They like that dynomite fertilizer applied in late February when the new leaves start growing and they want the mulch pulled back a little ways off them and the old leaves (if there are still any still there then) snipped off. They like the foliar 6-11-5 fertilizer from Spray n' Grow that I feed to everything mixed with their micronutrients (everything likes this stuff) the rest of the year. They will often bloom again some in October and November if they are happy.

I know I lost no plants over the winter this year--I still have the same total number of plants I had last August. If they have any at Home Depot tomorrow when I go to spend my Mom's day gift certificate from my kid (she knows I constantly need mulch) I will pick up one or two--provided they have something other than Magnus and White Swan. It's doubtful but you never know what they have stuck on that truck from up North.

I have room for 2 more plants with my current group if I move a daylily (which I don't mind doing, I like echie's much better) or else I've got to kill some turf grass to expand their area. I also don't mind doing that, I hate turf grass and would not own any at all except the HOA would probably have a fit. I may go ahead and do that and see if I can just mulch that area over the summer and see if I can find some more echie's late this fall.

Thank you for reading my echinacea thesis for the day.
=)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I can't recommend Sunset or Sundown - but that's my opinion. After Midnight is a goner, Rasberry Tart looks doubtful, crossing my fingers on Green Envy still.
Primadonnas do well here - good luck finding them though.

Hey Downsouth Debbie.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

lol Wonderful! I am jealous though, if ONLY our HD's over here had cool plants like this, argh. But, next psring, I will be getting some new echies, I am confident! These were actually my first 2 plants evr trying, I knew they would need drainage so I planted accordingly. Last year I got one measly flower, this year I already have my first and I see more on the way, and that is soo cool. Now though, I am so eager for next year and getting new ones!!!!

Thanks for 'echie dialogues' ;P

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

uh oh, but Sundown was on Deb's list that came back for her :( Sorry to ehar yours are not, Sunset is one I want badly, too. Like most plant purchases, I will think heavily on which to get, and research research research!

Actually none of mine came from home depot--I just have a gift card for home depot and its close by. I'm hoping they have something other than Magnus or White Swan, but I doubt if they will and 3 of those is enough--lol.

Al, the next time I'm at that nursery that had the primadonna's, I'll check and see if they have more. If they are as cheap as they were 2 years ago ($1.99) I'll pick some more up--I can ship to you for less than $7.00. If you don't want them--I'll add them to my bunch, they do really well here too and I like them because they do so well. That nursery is not close, so I'll wait until I need to be over in that area.

They do take 2-3 years to really settle in here too Lynn.

Debbie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, thanks for the offer Debbie but I dare try and establish like that so close to summer, or even receive it in the mail. I'll be shopping next spring :)

Heck, our HD's wouldn't even have Magnus or White Swan.

Am looking forward to everyone's pics this summer!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I got them both Deb - but thanks.

My opinion of Sundown and Sunset is not on hardiness, actually Sunrise is the only one I really like of the Big Sky's.

I doubt they would be at that price ever again anyway Al! ;)

I kind of liked Sundown last year (1st year bloom so really can't judge yet) because it looked like it should be a species instead of a hybrid. I wonder why there aren't any orangish species?

The final tally for me that DID come back

3 Ruby Star
2 White Swan
1 Raspberry Tart
1 After Midnight
1 Twilight
1 Summer Sky

I just planted a new Harvest Moon. If this one doesn't make it I will try another type next spring.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

I have a good many of the Big Sky's and the Meadowbrites too.....I lost one 'Sunrise', one 'Sundown' and one 'White Swan' of course that's not a Big Sky but that was out of maybe over a hundred conies....I considered myself fortunate this year as far as winter loss goes......I hope to have some photos soon....everything has buds and lots of them but only one Mango Meadowbrite has any color yet with the petals and one flower on a 'Kim's Knee High'....I have mostly 2 year old plants now as I had to replace many the year before last due to disease.....Good luck to everyone this spring with theirs, looks like its going to be a good spring this year....down south we've had good rains thank goodness.....

Paul from Alabama

OK folks--got back from HD after running the roads for what felt like hours. I got a gift certificate from my daughter for mom's day because I told her they had some glass mulch there for a project I wanted to do. So today, when I finally got there, these guys were right at the entrance to the garden center for $5.29 each. So I grabbed two since they were in gallon pots, but they were nameless--all of them, I checked every single pot looking for a tag.

So you great bunch of people get to help me ID them. Group shot from a distance for the first one.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

its pretty hazy here as it rained this morning. I did notice they also have a slight scent (don't know if that helps with the ID or not). A little closer...

Thumbnail by dmj1218

I figured the price on them was pretty good--I just got 2 from High Country Gardens 2 weeks ago (Sunrise and Twilight--I thought I had enough pinks) and paid $9.99 for them in deep quart pots. By the way, they send really good plants that transition excellently into the garden for a mail order company. I was actually after other plants at High Country Gardens, just decided to get 2 echie's while I was at it.

My 2 week old replacement Sunrise for the one I killed 2 years ago puts up its first bloom and leads the pack for bloom this year.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Those are wonderful! Congratulations, I'd say gift cert. well spent :)

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

May I call you dmj?......Good, 1218 is so formal......I'd put my money on 'Sunset' if I was a betting man.....Or if I was given two shots at it I'd guess 'Summer Sky' too.....Either way, you got a bargin.....

Paul from Alabama

most people call me Debbie
=)

OK folks, we got a vote for Sunset and a half a vote for Summer Sky (thanks Paul!)

UpNorth Al--what's your gut feeling telling you about this one?

any other guesses?

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Last comment on this, I swear it on a stack of bibles as tall as my rudbeckia 'Herbstonne' come about July/August.....but 'Sunrise' is nice, love the citrus color for lack of a better descriptive vocabulary on my part, but it kinda needs some shade, some kinda shade that is, dabbled in the evening or whatever but in the full hot sun the color you love ain't there.,.....washed out like all colors do in sun of course, like what you learn about the normal color wheel/design/voodoo stuff, but it'll fade out in and of itself, the petals that is.....I like the Big Sky series, some better than others but the color you like is kinda ephemeral if you don't help it out a tad...I enjoyed your thesis and was sorry I couldn't attend your graduation for your doctorate in echinacea, but am sending a wad of money instead, don't try to pass it at the bank though......:)

OK, I've taken an oath...Not a peep outta me.....

Paul from Alabama

My guess is Summer Sky. Are they the same color? The one on the left appears pale pink on my monitor.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking Summer Sky also. Sundown will fade to that color, but the petals are drooped more by then.

Nanny--yes they are the same, if you look at the 2 "orangy" ones in the center, the one flower in the rear is on the plant to the left. I just left the faded blooms on them to hopefully help ID it. I would take another picture but my camera battery is recharging right now.

Paul--all of mine get mostly shade in the summer, it was in the thesis. The thesis was written because UpNorth Al knows how I have struggle with my beloved echie's for last 3 years. Yes, Houston is very hot in the summer--but its also very humid too. A combination that took me a while to grasp the learning curve on with echies.

Great! Its Summer Sky--I don't own that one so I was lucky enough to find a bargain on top of it. That daylilly is getting moved now and they move in with the rest of the pack.

Whew, that was lucky that I didn't get it here when I ordered the other two:
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/46042/

I'll post a class shot tomorrow after it gets planted with its friends in a few minutes. Its supposed to be rainy and cool (a real relative term here--high 83F tomorrow) through tomorrow with a cool front Friday am (again relative--high only 80F predicted for Friday, I better get out my mittens). They always seem to settle in well if we can get a good rainfall right after planting.

Thanks all! You made my day--another new echie variety. I'm easy to please...
Debbie
=)

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Debbie....Yea I saw in the thesis about morning sun and evening shade or as you said specifically half day sun at best.....I was blathering on about color fastness......:)
Luckily it ain't getting them to grow and stay with me that's my problem, its making sure I got'em in a place that keeps'em' fresh and colorful.......sweet and nice......you know what I mean.......:)

Paul from Alabama

well here's my class shot for ya'll. I think I'll move that Crinum 'Peach Blow' after it blooms (has a bud on it and I really need the picture on that one) to the back yard and then I'll have enough room for about 5 new echie's. Hey, I got my priorities straight. Hopefully the fonts big enough to read.....

Paul--actually they get about 3-4 hours on sun in the summer (mid July thru end of Sept) late in the afternoon, from about 3 pm on which is brutal and probably borders on echie abuse. They get full sun all winter (Nov-May) they are under a deciduous red oak tree.

Lynn-you can see by me putting the ages on them that they definitely take a few years to settle in.

Debbie
=)

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Debbie, they're so cute, I could just pinch their petals.......:)

Paul from Alabama

thanks Paul--funny thing is the birds have taken to hanging out "in mass" on the tree above them and are "defecating" (to use a DG allowed term--not my first choice of terminology) all over them and have absolutely singled out that Crinum 'Peach Blow'. You would think they were doing it on purpose--they are avoiding the daylillies that surround them. Gotta love those birds.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Those daylilies are space hogs Deb - you gotta keep 'em at bay.

Hopefully I'm done moving mine around now and they can start to get bigger. Ruby Giant and Sunrise have increased their size well this year.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

No you don't....Just kidding.:).....I'm the biggest fool there is for birds.....I jokingly tell folks I only hope their children and grandchildren eat as well and have as much variety of foods as the birds in my yard have......:)

Lord I love their songs early in the morning in the garden with coffee and something good to read. Other things in life are better than that but not many.....:)

Paul from Alabama

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

bigcityal.....you fool around with any of the Meadowbrites and if so you like'em?

Paul from Alabama

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

whoops, I see you grow pixies.....anything else? Have you had good luck with Mango's?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You can call me Al. I have them yes - Art's Pride is a bit of a thin flower, but I do like Mango and Pixie is my favorite of them. No news from them recently - I wonder what they are working on.

Piedmont, AL(Zone 7b)

Al...not heard anything from them either might check their website later.....Jim Ault is his name I think, the guy in charge I guess you call it....One of these days I'd like to tour the Saul Brothers place, its not that far from me.....But as nuts as I was about most of but not all of the BSky series, more and more I learning to appreciate again just standard purpurea with them reflexed petals to the max and good old White Swans, must be getting conservative in my old age......:)

Paul from Alabama

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.