Celebrating Earth Day?

There are a total of 285 votes:

Yes, I'm planting a tree (what kind?)
(39 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm reducing the amount of waste I generate (any tips to share?)
(16 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm reusing an item (what and how?)
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Yes, I'm recycling items (what's the hardest item to recycle?)
(26 votes, 9%)
Red dot

I do most/all of the above, and now I'm going one step further (tell us!)
(85 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I don't celebrate Earth Day
(80 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Other?
(31 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Zone 8b)

So what is Earth Day?? and when was it invented?

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 11:05 AM

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

I voted other because I started doing 2 of the questions asked.
Just started using a compost bin. And started reusing plastic butter tubs (big ones) for flower pots.

I try to live each day as a steward of the natural gifts available to each of us. In doing so I don't set aside just one day, but attempt to practice good habits every day.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other - no idea what 'Earth Day' is specifically as an organised event, nor who organises it and where, though it's not hard to guess its principles.

Agree with TBGDN; we should all treat every day as though it were an Earth Day.

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Each Day is Earth Day.
I reuse any plastic/heavy paper container I can find for starter plants, When the plastic gets brittle I break up and use the pieces for drainage in a new plastic container. Heavy powdered or liquid laundry soap containers work good and smell good. Coffee containers don't rust now, and can be used to collect old coffee grounds for the garden. We are heavy coffee drinkers.. the garage is lined with Folgers plastic containers marked w/masking tape to store just about anything and they have perfect hand grips. The lids work under the butter tub planters.
Started paper recycling and thought I would be making a delivery once a month to the local school collection bin. With junk mail and kitchen trash/paper it is a once a week process now.
Bought a rock tumbler, and started saving all my glass (jars/bottles) to break and tumble for garden and mosaic use. Sea glass for my fountain or just to use as rocks.

Morganton, NC

I don't know what day Earth Day is officially. I do my best to make every day Earth Day!

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Planting a Japanese Black Pine.

San Antonio, TX

:o( I don't know how to vote. But I AM taking the bazillions of plastic grocery bags I've been saving back to the store because they are having a give-away of a re-usable grocery sack for trade!

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

We treat each day arround here like Earth Day, so we don't really do anything special on Earth Day

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

In general, I go with the others that every day is Earth Day. We try our best to recycle, reuse, etc. But specifically, although we are not planting a tree, DH and I are choosing trees to plant in our front year this year.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

They give truck loads of compost here where i live and we got get a few loads
THey ask for a 10.00 donation-well worth it!!!!

Im always planting too!!!!

Bartlett, IL(Zone 5a)

I am planting 2 trees, dozens of roses etc. Have 2 composters going. My tip is keep your reusable shopping backs in the car, so you always have them on hand. Many retailers are giving away bags to celebrate Earth day or they can be purchased for 1$ at most stores. Keep the plastic out of the landfills.....
Jill

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I remember in school celebrating earthday back in the 60's . We picked up trash from our local wetlands, collected bottle and cans , started seeds to plant, each grade did something. I think of it as an awareness day . partly because of my experience as a kid I now do treat every day like earthday . I compost both in ( vermi) and out doors I use only organic products on my property I bring my own bags to the grocery store ( if I can remember them ) I try to buy local and recyle what I can . ect ..So I think the point of earthday is not for those of us who are aware but those of us who are not. like the guy who called into radio station garden show and asked if there was a chemical he could put down to kill worms!
laura

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

This may sound like heresy but we dispute all the stuff we hear about "green" and Earth Day. As children of the depression we were brought up to use up, reuse, etc. so earth day is everyday for us. I am so thankful that we have plastic bags from the stores nowadays so I don't have to spend money on such to line my garbage and trash cans. When I was young and before the days of disposals we used to use sheets of newspapers to empty various garbagy stuff on and then fold it up and toss in the garbage. With a little common sense people can keep the earth friendly along w/the environment and we wouldn't have to have a separate day for all this.

Ann

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

It is a corny statement, but EVERYDAY is Earth Day. We must recycle, compost, reduce waste, and conserve every day, not just one day per year. On Earth Day, the best thing to do is to assess what you can do for our planet and then do it from then on.
I compost and recycle. The hardest things to recycle are toxic wastes, in the form of bug spray, batteries, and other household chemicals. I can't dump poison in my septic system b/c I have a well for water (plus a pond and there anre wetlands nearby) but our town only has one or two toxic waste collection days per year, and they are bad at getting the word out.

(Zone 7a)

Yes, I agree, every day is Earth Day.

I'm donating time and money to the Nat'l Parks Fund. They have a clean-up crew you can join any time you wish.

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

I try top make every day an earth day, I plant what I can when I can, recycling doesn't happen in our neighborhood - pity, and as for re - using I always do whenever its possible!

(Zone 1)

I voted "other" and I agree with Jax4ever. We should all try to do our best EVERY day to save this earth for future generations. If each person on this planet changed just one thing they do every day to reduce, reuse, recycle ... what a difference it would make!

Earth Day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Day

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm feeding my worms. If they are happy I figure my Earth is happy ☺

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Planting trees, hopefully it will be later this week, as we've had rain the last 3 days. Moutain Ash - 3
Southern Magnolia
Sunset Red Maple
Yellowwood
Stewartia

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I think it is important that we remember each day is Earth Day. Anything and everything we can do every day will make a difference. Above all, instill these values in our children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren.

Stafford, TX

I just purchased some reusable grocery bags and have begun shopping with those. I also intend to take back all of the old plastic ones to be recycled.

Maple Heights, OH

I am using the plastic gorcery bags as packing materials, rather than peanuts, popcorn, or newspaper, and it is working well.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've already planted an apple tree and two kumquats, and I'm arranging for the installation of solar screens to reduce a/c needs a bit. I recycle newsprint and plastics in the city's pickup program.

Belgium, WI(Zone 5a)

My best friend and former college roommate always made me hug a tree on Earth Day. It's corny but I still do it every year. I do all those other things mentioned as often as I can, but Earth Day (founded by my fellow Wisconsinite Gaylord Nelson) is the only day I actually hug a tree.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Not sure if I really celebrate it, but I try to recycle all that I can.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't do anything specifically for Earth Day, but it reminds me to keep doing my part, which I try to do all year...not just one day per year.

:)

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I voted other. I try to "reduce, reuse, recycle" every day, and I always plant at least one tree every year.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I am going to my son's school to teach the kids how to plant from seed (and of course, it will be a messy hands-on activity). Not really an "Earth Day" thing I guess, but it helps them learn to have respect for nature.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I do my best to reduce/reuse/recycle every day...it's how I grew up...not necessarily "green", but more like "Yankee thrift." (Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.) But in addition this year my global climate change class is helping to host an Earth Day Fair in the university student center. I am contributing Earth Day cookies frosted to look like, well, the earth. Wrapped in wax paper and tied with biodegradable cotton twine, of course. :)

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I plants any trees and plants on April 22 it Earth's Day.... It need for Mother's Nature...

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

There is no celebration, But we do recycle to the point that we have no garbage. Food scraps go in compost pile, plastic goes in plastic bin glass goes in glass bin, meat scraps go to cat, all paper goes to garden as part of mulch. Metal goes to salvage yard, get paid for that.
Car batteries also have a value, get $$ for them as well. Every thing has a use. Some things do cost to get rid of, however as the government is slow to learn, They are finding that if the total weight of recycling is dropped on the consumer. there is only a small percentage that will recycle. people don't like to make a purchase only to have to pay again to get rid of the waste product. The more programs that open up for recycling without charging the consumer to death, more people will recycle. I do burn tree trimmings. but the wood ash goes to the garden as a source of potash.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I answers most of the above. I recycle aluminum cans and grocery bags. Soon I hope to start recycling plastic, glass, and newspaper. I started a vegetable garden which can also have its advantages. I am growing 40 or more Live oak trees and by the time the next Earth day rolls around they will be big enough and I will sell them for less than $5 to persuade others to plant more trees! I cant wait.

Snohomish, WA

Planted a red dogwood and a bunch of other plants today.Mostly because the snow melted and it hit 50 degrees with sun, sort of. But also for Earth day!!

(Zone 10a)

I planted a Japanese Black Pine too, plus some Indian cyprus & Hovenias. Wish I could take you up on the oaks Foxtail. Thought of growing truffles with them? You could innoculate them whilst they are young.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I attended the Earth Day Celebration in Arlington at the Molly Hollar Wildscape. They had numerous exhibits & a tour to teach people about the value of native plants, water conservation, recycling, even the planting of host plants for butterflies.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Not planned for this but, I will be planting shrubs today on shelter belt strips in my garden. 25 Choke Cherry
25 Blue Arctic Willow
25 Red Osier Dogwood

Also this spring I am removing our old barn & silo. Rather than burying the concrete, it will be hauled off for recycle.

Two years ago we recycled an old chicken house. We saved & added on to the old concrete slab & built our woodworking shop there. On all our buildings, I use chip board for sheeting. It is made in Northern MN from poplar trees which grow fast & are renewable. (Is that the right word for harvest, then replant the same crop for another harvest a number of years down the road.) The poplar trees in MN grow like weeds, so no harm to the forest!

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

McMinnville, TN(Zone 7a)

My DH and I spent the morning trying to convince a Kitten Rescue that we would be great parents, even though we would let the kittie out in the backyard to visit the koi pond and bird feeders. They insist that their rescues stay inside only. Came home and planted 15 lavender plants!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

As farmers, we are always celebrating Earth Day, but I do remember the first one back in 1970. It didn't get a lot of press, but after 38 years, it's still happening. Too bad we didn't all take it more seriously in 1970, hindsight being 20/20

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.