Looking for zone 5 Hardy Bamboo

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

Im looking for just a small clump of bamboo for a small pond area. Is there anyone out there that could help me out?
Theresa

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

You might try searching for the American Bamboo Society they could recommend bamboo for your area.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks Dean, much appreciated.

Muncie, IN(Zone 5b)

I have yellow groove planted by my pond. It's very hardy, but let me tell you. You need to put down a very deep, very strong barrier. Mine has punched several holes right through my 45 mil thick rubber pond liner, and is causing the pond to drain down to that level. I wouldn't recommend putting it directly in the ground near a pond again!
That being said, I do love my grove of yellow groove. It's especially pretty this time of year when it's green and everything else is brown. So far my yellow groove area is about 35' long by about 5 feet wide. That coming from about 10-15 large pots planted four-or five years ago. It definitely runs! And the tallest culms are about 16 feet now.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Photo below of my sister's yellow groove bamboo grove this morning. Phyllostachys aureosulcata isn't much of an invasive problem here in CT. This grove was planted in the 1960s:

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Muncie, IN(Zone 5b)

I just don't know why it's not invasive there. Mine is shooting right now and 20 feet away from the clump. I'm going to borrow dad's backhoe and dig a trench around it.

West Warren, MA

Good Morning all, new to this forum.
Just got a piece of bamboo and planted it on a hill that had erosion problems.
It seems to be doing ok, did put out new leaves. Hope it will help this hill !
Live in zone 5, what do you all think ??

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What kind of bamboo is it? Some of them won't be hardy in your area, and the ones that are hardy are the running type so you will want to put down a barrier to keep it from going off of the hillside into areas that you don't want it.

West Warren, MA

not worrying about the hill, it is falling down, very eroded, any grown cover would be better....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wasn't worried about the hill either, I assumed you didn't care if it spread there...but the bamboo doesn't know the hill from anything else so it's going to spread past that if you don't put in a barrier at the edges of the area you want it in. Could take a while if it's a big hill so you may have a while before you need to do anything, but it's definitely easier to put in a root barrier than it is to try and get rid of bamboo that escaped into an area you didn't want it. Since you're in a colder climate they may not be as aggressive as they would be in some places, but definitely something to be prepared for.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

that is excellent advice!

West Warren, MA

Thanks for the advice, will definitely put in a barrier if it gets to close to anything...just want to keep the hill from eroding more...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.