What's blooming in April IV

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I now have a total of 5 orchids and two are blooming. Nancy, they are easier to grow than any plant I have ever attempted!!! I really mean it. Cicada sent me two last October and I left them out on the porch all winter with heaters on the porch.......now they are blooming away..........going to start collecting them and get rid of all these hoyas..........

Diane, she is great looking1
good night.........asleep at the wheel

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Thank you both!
Yes, orchids DO get a bad rap. They're easier than most think. Especially the Phalaenopsis- which this one is. It's a mini hybrid. Over-watering is orchids worst enemy! So if you're an under-waterer, you can usually grow orchids!

South, TX

The light is important too, just like with AV's. We soak our orchids for a few minutes once a week. We feed them and give them good light.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

WOW everyone, I JUST found this thread this morning! Boy have I been missing the party!
Gail, you are doing just WONDERFUL with your Sinningias! I really LOVE seeing them!
Brenda, your streps are just an amazing sight my friend!
Amy, WOW....that white sinningia is just amazing! I LOVE it!
I'm slowly beginning to cull my house of alot of plants that I am giving up (Jim........how is everything doing?) and making room for more gessies :)
Brenda, I sent you Sheperdii and Kentianna. The one that bloomed for you is Sheperdii (with the big stringbean leaves).
I MAY part with a couple more soon but first I want to have plants big enough to replace them in the hangers.
Cindy, your Hoya Multiflora is BLOOMING! I was worried it would lose it's buds in the box when I mailed it and it took over a week for you to get it but it looks WONDERFUL!!!
Not alot of blooms here yet and all of them I have posted at one time or another but I have AV's making babies and baby chiritas up the wazoo! I'm TRYING to do the patience and neglect thing to see if it helps *lol*
I sure do love seeing all your pictures ladies, you all are such great growers :)

XO
Kim

(Zone 1)

Sounds like a couple of you are giving up on hoyas and here I am really getting to love them! Kim, my Multiflora you traded me last fall is getting ready to bloom again! I am hoping to see the flowers this time ... it has blasted buds twice and I really thought I was going to lose the entire plant there for awhile .... it was not happy at all with yellowing leaves. I thought I was watering enough ... seemed like I was. Then someone suggested putting it in a self watering AV pot ... and it perked right up and has been looking so much better! I think I need to shower it off with the hose ... I just took it outside to take a picture and noticed how dusty the foliage is.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I'm really getting into the Hoyas too Lin!
And the Gessies- Streps,Chirita, Episcias, Lipsticks, and the Epiphyllums, and the Rhipsalis, and the........
hehe

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Well you all keep telling me how easy orchids are to grow..lol..I had 8 of them that would never do anything but turn yellow and look blah after they quit blooming so they either died and the ones that didn't I traded them all away last year..tried to get tips on growing them from the forum that specializes in them here to no avail...lol...now in just a few simple posts..you gals are amazing.. I have read exactly what I did wrong with them..not enough light or fertilizer..and too much water..mine sat in it because thats what I thought they liked...didn't know they liked to to fed either..live and learn! Thats what I love about this place..of course you all know that now I am going to run to town and buy another one this week just so I can see if I actually can now..lol

Lin & Diane..a fellow hoya lover here too..most of the gessies too.Heres my multiflora from my trade with Kim last fall..I was so excited to finally see it blooming.Hang in there Lin..the bloom will be worth the wait..

Thumbnail by cedarnest
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I just can't start the day without checking in for these blooms, ladies! Lin and Nancy, great blooms on the hoyas! I still have multiflora and another one out at the friend's nursery..........she wanted some cuttings last summer and I haven't been back to pick them up. This motivates me to go get them!

(Zone 1)

I love Epiphyllums too and have a few small ones that I got in trade here on DG about a year ago! Don't know names on most of them and have only had one bloom ... the large E. hookerii that a friend gave me back in the 70's. I am being better about feeding so maybe this year I will get some blooms on the others. I also have a hanging basket of the Fishbone Cactus which someone told me is an Epi ... it has never bloomed and I've had it for probably 7 or 8 years. They are all in my screened pool enclosure so I'm wondering if they need more direct sun? The E. hookerii is out in the yard in the shade and it blooms once or twice a year.

I also have a few Rhipsalis that have never bloomed and I've had some of them for years too. I have gotten blooms on the one called Dancing Bones ... it gets little yellow flowers.

I have a couple of Hoyas that have been blooming for over a month. Hoya ds-70, lacunosa, and krinkle 8. Can't wait to see the blooms on my Multiflora ... I sure it doesn't blast the buds again! I think it's one of the neatest looking flowers ... just like shooting stars so the common name sure fits that one! The 6 Hoya cuttings I got in the David Liddle co-op recently don't look so great. One was actually pretty dead on arrival so I'm sure it won't make it. When I got them, I soaked them in Super Thrive for a few hours, then potted them up, then read on the hoya forum where some were rooting in water so I took them out rinsed the soil off and put them in rooting jars with water. I sure hope I can save at least a couple of them and get them to root.

Well ... must get back outside and play for awhile! Hope everyone has a Glorious day!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Lin-
I have had 1 bloom on an Epiphyllum years ago. I have since 'lost' the plant. But I practically stood on my head in the dark to get the pics.- It was a night bloomer. I have a couple that SHOULD be close to blooming as I've had them long enough....We'll see!

And as usual you talking about your Hoya blooms makes me go check all mine! I have my Hoya bella just beginning to open buds and I also have buds on my multiflora. My DS-70 is still a no-show! You make me so jealous! LOL That's one I'm waiting to see in person!
I've been afraid to look at my DL cuttings.....I left mine in soil. I also only soaked mine for 20min in Superthrive water before reading about everyone else soaking overnight....So really keep your fingers crossed for mine...

(Zone 1)

Oooh, I hope you will post a pic of your Hoya bella when the blooms open. That is one I don't have and I'm curious if it's a fragrant one. The ds-70 has really grown on me. It wasn't my favorite for a long time ... don't know why. I find it the one that blooms the most and for a long time and one of the easiest for me to root! LOL, maybe that's why it's grown on me!

I think I am going to take my DL hoya cuttings out of the water right now and go pot them up in soil. I'm afraid they are going to get mushy and rot if I leave them in water!

I just ran out and took this photo ... left to right: Hoya's brevialata, krinkle 8 and ds-70.

Now I'm off to go let my friends grand dog out. She works about 35 miles away and has her daughter and son in law's dog here at her house while they are out of town. Her own dog is great staying inside all day, but the grand dog has to have a potty break during the day! LOL.

(Zone 1)

oops ... forgot the photo:

Hoya brevialata, krinkle 8 and ds-70.

I just realized I'm hijacking the AV thread with other than non-gessie plants!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Lovely Lovely!!!
I don't have the crinkle one or the brevialta(sp?)
Is that Philo congo underneath?

(Zone 1)

Diane: I don't remember what the name is on that Philo. Here's a closer view.

(Zone 1)

This is the one someone on the Aroid forum ID'd as possibly P. rojo congo:

(Zone 1)

Oh ... This morning I went to stick a leaf into the 10 gal aquarium/terrarium and found a chirita leaf with a baby! Woo Hoo! I can't believe it. As I ended up removing plants that got too large for this terrarium, I have just been sticking leaves and stems to root of different plants ... and a couple of little episcia stolons. I think this is the way for me to go to be successful with rooting!

Here's a pic of all the babies rooting in here ... a mishmash of plants:

(Zone 1)

I know a few months ago when I began just sticking stuff in here I made a diagram with the names of each plant ... who knows where I put the diagram! So, I'm not sure which Chirita leaf that is or which Chirita plantlet is to the left of the leaf.

Here's the leaf close up:

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I love it Lin, what a great nursery for baby plants you have going there. And it looks really good too! Great idea that I need to get back to.
~Brenda

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Does look like the Red Congo to me too. And the other looks like the green one. I just found scale on my Congo UGH

I LOVE the terrarium! Not a mishmash at all! I have Chirita babies too! I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen...

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Lin..your terrarium looks awesome.What a great way to root plants..everything seems to really like it in there...love that baby chirita..so cute^_^

(Zone 1)

Diane, so there are two Philodendrons named Rojo Congo? I LOVE Philo's but am not up on names and neither of these were labeled when I bought them about 5 or 6 years ago.

I love terrarium gardening ... have a lot of jar terrariums and asked my hubby for the 10 aquarium for my birthday last year. I did plant it as a terrarium and it looked really good for awhile ... then the plants grew so big they were up touching the top ... so I took everything out except one fern that has attached itself to the left side I'm not sure if you can see it in this photo ... the brown stuff on the left inside of the glass ... that's where the fern has attached and is growing to the glass.

(Zone 1)

My Mailman just came to the door .... Look what I just received from our very own Gessiegail! Amazing selection of beautiful, healthy plants! Here's what they are ... AV's: Blue Dragon, Evening Spleandor, Jealous Jewels, Modesty, Ness' Coral Sunset, Victorian Velvet and Wrangler's Pink Patches. And ... Strep's: Spiritual Corridor and Remembering John!

Gail, Thank You so much! You have such a generous, giving spirit. I will do my best to keep these babies growing and happy!

Lin

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Goodness Lin..What an awesome surprise..look at all those wonderful plants! Gail sure can grow them!Can't wait to see them blooming on your stands.. marvelous^_^

(Zone 1)

She sure can grow them. I think she has 10 green fingers and toes ... that little lady can grow anything ... I remember seeing pic's of her flowerbeds with snapdragons last year! And, of course all those lovely plants on her porch! She has the user name of Gessiegail but she's really the one that should be Plantlady ... Plantladygail! She is one of the best growers I've ever known.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

cflowr, sometimes the fantasy streps don't always produce fantasy blooms as I will show a picture of one that didn't. Also, that beautiful hoya in bloom ..........is that the one you told Kim was so wilted? It looks beautiful to me.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Lin- The fern growing to the glass is so cool! I would have left it too.
There aren't 2 Philo rojos. At least as far as I know. Just the Red Congo- or Rojo, then the green one. The original Philo. congo- which has green leaves and petioles.
Great looking bunch of plants from Gail! She's so sweet!

Gail- Have you posted that fantasy bloom pic before? It looks familiar and one I DEFINITLY want on my 'gotta-have list'! What is she called?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

It is Britol's Zapped and I haven't been able to make any babies because she won't grow leaves (LOL).........but look at that light pink..........that is not supposed to be her fantasy.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, I am shocked that they arrived without more leaves missing. That is a relief....I just like to grow them. I love sticking those leaves (LOL)

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Both blooms are so pretty though! I like the way they look together...
I remember the name being mentioned.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I noticed that there was some Orchids on here so I just have to show this I have been groning this in water for about a year maybe 1/2 a year but this is what has started to Bloom. I will send 1 more
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer
( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

This is what it has been in all this time
Dimmer

Thumbnail by Dimmer
Grand Prairie, TX

It has taken me hours to get through everything since Friday on this thread. But I certainly have enjoyed all the comments and pictures. I have sent for someAV leaves. I hope I can get them to live when they arrive. Also getting some various flower seeds from Ebay. Back in 1979 my house burned in MI and I lost a hoya that was about 50 foot long that grew around and around my window. I have been looking for hoyas ever since moving to TX in '81. After I joined Daves' garden I found that they are more plentiful than I thought. I will be getting some of those too, before long. I am so glad that I found this site! Thanks so much for being here! Vicki

Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, I just lost my message. Here goes again. Lyn, the yellow flower in the background that you wondered about is just the bottom of the castenet flower. I got real close and personal with my little plant cause it's such a cute flower. But it is actually quite small.

Gail, I posted that pic so Kim could see how pretty javanica/multiflora looks now that it is rehydrated. It was just dry. But tough little cookie, it didn't drop a single bud from being in a box for 5 days.

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Vicki
Glad you found us I will say you learn alot on all of the forms that Daves have My biggest intrest is AV and other in the family I have been here scent 03 and I am still learning. I have started Hoyas ,AV ,Chirita, Seed and I get into alot of the swaps they are so much fun trading plants and garden things also I just got on a Tropical co-op thats pretty cool and it was my first one so hope you learn alot, ! thing which you may know make sure you write the name of the AV's I just started to do that last year and I do have alot of AV some have name,some came with no name. I know that we have a swap with African Violet and other thing that might be comming soon Right Ladys ^_^ LOL
Dimmer(AKA) Kim

(Zone 1)

Welcome Wildskygal/Vicki! What a cute username!

You will love it here in the Garden! This AV forum is the best one in the garden too! A bunch of beautifully spirited folks here! Sure hope you will stop in often and show us your babies as they grow! Which leaves did you order?

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Yes..Welcome Vicki^_^ Dimmer and Lin are sooo right....you hang around here long enough and you will learn so much....Everyone is so helpful....and so many of these gals are such amazing growers!.. I can tell you now you will learn even about gessies you have never even heard of before..LOL..and of course if you are anything like the rest of us will want at least one if each!! LOL again..Big Welcome To You!!

OK Kim..LOL...now you have my wheels turning about organizing a Spring AV /Gessie Swap.....will have to check and see if there will be any interest in one for this spring..sure sounds like fun!! : ))

Nancy

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 5:16 PM

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Nancy You do such a great job I would offer to do it but that is when I start on the road construction and work 12 to 16 hours I am lucky if I can clean my house. NOT
I have my daughter-in -law come and do it LOL
Kim / DIM

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

What a GREAT box Lin! I just KNOW you can make those streps happy :) You CAN do it!
Gail, you call THOSE babies? OMG.....*lol* You should see what I call babies. Yours are trees compared to what I call babies *lol* You sure can grow! Amazing!
Everyone's pictures look so "springy" and are just beautiful!
Cindy, Nancy, and Lin.......all of your Multifloras look SO great! Cindy, I'm so glad yours bounced right back and is blooming. Hope everything does well for you.
I love my Multiflora and I'm sure you will all too. Do you know that the momma of all your plants is putting out ANOTHER new arm? I will let it grow for a while but then I will cut it off to root it. This time I think I'm going to stick it in my pot though and fill out momma a little bit more. I also took a cutting for my Gram the same time I took Lin's and she's so excited because hers is blooming for the first time too! That is 4 babies all over the country......I just LOVE that!

Keep the pictures rolling :)

XO
Kim

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Kim, you should never 'egg' me on to take pictures or I will post forever! Let me look around and see if there are any new blooms................or bigger blooms of the same plants (LOL)

***edited to say.....I will wait until I hit the nurseries on Wednesday.......my plans have changed so often I am trying to remember where I have to be tomorrow........in Austin for my baby's 36th birthday!!

This message was edited Apr 21, 2008 6:31 PM

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Welcome Vicki,
Pull up a chair and have a ball... I HATED Av's when I came here to play bingo... Well I now can grow and AV from a leaf and trust me several months back I said I could not keep a plant alive none the less grow one from a leaf.. Everyone here is great and will help you tons...
Rain, I love the very first picture at the top... I believe I have this one blooming today... Mulletman I also believe I have the one you post the red one... I am to tired to get pictures now.... Later or after work.... I love everyones flowers to be so gifted is wonderful... I have one pink strep blooming and also a red esp. then all the rest are purple...LOL
Hugs,
susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.