Heidi Chronicles: Can't Be Long Now, Can It?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, the raccoons that visit my backyard buffet.

Link to prior thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/830222/

Below is a pick of Trouble, Heidi's bad boy son from 06. He's a little concerned (in pic) about a sound he heard up at the house. Thinks the dog may be about to appear. (It's a tiny maltese, so I think he can handle it.)

edited to add link to prior thread

This message was edited Apr 13, 2008 3:20 PM

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, this is what happens when you try to shift threads in a hurry. I though the pic of trouble standing upright was rather unique and would make a catchy label pic but didn't realize the system would decapitate it. :(

Oh, well, I'm off again to get some more work done. Will check back later when I take another break.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL...what a cute photo of Trouble.

and Yes... Dennis is just sooooo Dennis.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, I'm gonna come and eat at your buffet! Those coons eat better than I do, lol.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Terese

I sort of liked that photo of Trouble, too. Wasn't sure if other would, but it's different. When I turned around and saw him standing I scrambled to get the pic fearing he would get down before the shutter closed. I just made it.

The thing about Dennis is, what you see in those pics is normal mode for Dennis. The others come and stand in one spot while they eat. Sometimes they might go over to check out another dish when they are getting a bit full. Then they leave. Except trouble, of course, who runs around bossing everyone and taking their food. But Dennis can't be still for more than a few minutes, not even to eat. He's here. He's there. He's eating. He's playing. He's eating again. He is the poster 'coon for ADHD.

Dennis looking in bucket. Hmm, what do we have here?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Well, come on down! LOL

Actually, last night they ate better than I do. I probably ate a lot of quick sandwiches, salads, and burgers while I was not eating all that stuff that went to waste. (Still mad w/myself.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dennis after eating the frosting off 2 cupcakes (story at 11) now with nose to camera lens still looking for frosting (of course camera was not setup for a pic this close and I didn't have time to make the necessary changes hence the lack of focus). I call this one:

Hey, is there any frosting in that thing?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Again, same night. still looking/begging for more frosting. Note my knee at bottom in navy.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Same night. just finished licking the frosting off the cupcake package. Looking for more. my leg in lower right corner. Had no idea I was catching him with his tongue out until i saw the photo later.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

stopping for a quick drink while getting into the pool

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

1.5 min later getting out again (these are still dennis)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

trying to get all of the frosting off a cupcake without actually having to bothered with eating the cupcake.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

still trying to nibble all of the frosting out of every nook and cranny between paper and cupcake

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

licking paper

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that one with his tongue out.... you can see the eyes rolled back... now thats "frosting nirvana" !! LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

all done now

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I think that might be due to the flash (only maybe 10in from his face) - but that's not to say he isn't on a frosting high. LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

scratch break

ROFL at the tongue sticking out!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

He is very comfortable, isn't he?? Very cute series of our little Dennis!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread. I am right here keepin' up.

Susan
=^..^=

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Lol with the way Dennis loves frosting ya need to put some toothbrushes out there all over the yard for them to brush with. LOL

Maybe fill the pool with that fresh breath and cavity protection stuff.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Incidentally, we received 2 cans of frosting of vanilla frosting in one of the shower gifts. Haven't opened them yet. Still have quite a stash of gift items we haven't used yet. The cupcakes in the above pics were from a pack of 2 I picked up at the deli while shopping on Fri evening. I was thinking about getting some cake mix to make some cupcakes to go with the frosting. Even considered using some as a sandwich filling instead of peanut butter. Then we discovered this nifty treat idea...

This is Dennis with one of the cupcakes. He likes for me to hold it for him so he can lick the frosting off - I'm a convenient food dispenser, but my arm got tired so I put it down in his dish. That caused the frosting to get all over the cat food. Turns out, frosted cat food is one of his favorites, and since you can't eat the frosting without the cat food, he ended up eating a bunch of healthy food with his frosting - ding, which caused an idea to go off in my head. What if I make cat food and frosting balls?

Lyndonville, NY

Get some graham crackers and spread frosting on them...sweet yet nutritional....thats what I tell myself everytime I go into a "gotta have it" frenzy!

I just love those pictures. And the tongue one reminds me of "I got it stuck on the roof of my mouth".

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

if you compare this to the previous one you can see that he has eaten quite a bit of cat food while trying to get that frosting.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Very good idea, Debbie. LOL, at the caption.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

When he was rearing up and looking for more frosting, I gave him the package to lick

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

still licking container. Note this is his personal and I think kindof funny stance with his back feet all the way up where his front feet should be - like a duck. He does this about 2/3 of the time.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

All other options exhausted, Dennis goes back to eat the cake (ick). This is the 1st time I've ever seen him go back and eat the cake, but then again, the others usually eat it while he's off doing other stuff. This night he and Cissy were the only ones there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Finally, here is cissy eating the paper dennis left behind. (She didn't show up until after I had given thim the cupcakes). I hope the paper is nutritious because she ate all of it, both pieces.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

That one was so yummy, she at the other one, too

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I should add a preface to this story in pictures. These are from Friday night. I had gone out early, just before dark to take Widget out hoping to beat the raccoons. While we were out there I heard movement in the limb of the Heidi tree. It was Heidi waiting already. I guess she was hungry. Feeding 3 or more kits must be hard work. After I took Widget inside, I took the food out for her and then left to finish my task of cleaning out the fridge/freezer. It was still light out.

Around midnight I took widget out again for his last trip before bed. Having long since fed the raccoons, I figured it would be safe to take him out w/o the leash. Right. As soon as we walked out, Dennis stepped out from his favorite spot in the shrubs by the MBR window. Naturally, he and Widget has another little spat. This time no one was injured or doused in the pool. Since Dennis had somehow conveyed his hunger to me, after putting Widget away, I took out a small amount of food for Dennis. I guess he must have missed the earlier feeding because he really chowed down, eating quite a bit of cat food. Then when he had knocked the edge off his hunger, he stood up to grab the box of cupcakes off the chair. I took the box from him, opened it, and gave him one. After he ate all of the frosting he begged for the other. As he was the only one there, I gave it to him. Cissy arrived shortly after that. No one else showed up for this 2nd feeding. I figure the others at during the earlier feeding. The rest is pretty much in the pictures. Although...

There is more, this time concerning Cissy as Dennis left shortly after she arrived (and the frosting ran out). To be continued...

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

When Dennis is in that stance he looks like a little kid getting ready to do a somersault!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, nanny, he does at that, doesn't he? I always find that position of his so comical and can never think of a description. That is a good one. It also brings to mind the similiar idea of someone touching their toes.

What a spoiled li'l brat! Poor Cissy didn't get a cupcake...lol
Great idea about the frosted cat food. I like Starlight's idea, providing a pool with mouthwash in it. LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, just remembered that Dennis only managed to choke down one cupcake, Cissy grabbed the other frosting-less cupcake and ran to the other side of the pool to eat it.

Although you can't see the cupcake because she hid behind the pool, that's what she is doing in this pic. So, basically, Dennis let Cissy have one cupcake (no frosting) and the 2 papers. LOL.

(When bagels 1st became so popular, I tried a few straight from the bag, cold, plain and I just didn't get it. On day when someone brought them for the gang at work I just had to ask. I pulled a friend aside and asked why 'we' like these tough, hard 'rolls'. His answer has, for me, become a classic, "We don't really like the bagel. It's just a vehicle for the cream cheese - because otherwise we would look uncivilized just shoving a mound of cream cheese in our faces." And then, I got it! I think that's how Dennis views the cake part of the cupcake - just a vehicle for the frosting.)

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 12:27 AM

ROFL...never thought of it that way--"just a vehicle" for the good stuff. I love that!
Good to know that Cissy got a treat, albeit just the vehicle part...LOL

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Great photos, Cheryl, as always. Trouble has turned into a very handsome fellow; you can see both Heidi and HRH in him now that he's mature.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

What a great bunch of pictures. That Dennis is just the most adorable little rascal! And Trouble sure looks all grown up in that picture.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Everyone

Trouble is getting larger by the day - no surprise considering his voracious appetite. He now looks so much like HRH that I often get them confused in the dark until, of course, I get a good look at the front end, esp the face. I used to know HRH as soon as he appeared on the fence, but now have to wait until he get closer to me to be sure if it is him or Trouble.

BTW, and I doubt you will be surprised about this, but last night no one was very hungry. Even Trouble picked at his food, ate 3 fig newtons (I found a partial box in freezer) and left. Everybody spent more time posturing and arguing about realistate and resources than eating.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.