Plant ID needed for 2 different white flowers blooming NOW!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Rethinking that vino yet?

=)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

happy - I know I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know...but if my recent successes are any indication it would seem new green growth...with cuttings long enough to clip 2 sets of leaves at bottom and leave 3-4 sets above those clipped off. Hope that makes at least a little sense. Then I snip off the 2 sets of leaves at bottom...set in water for bit...then dip in rooting hormone. I mix starter soil with a good regular one 50/50 - put hydrated crystals in holes I've made w/a straw - then in goes the cuttings. Keeping them some place as warm as possible...lovin' yesterday and today as they're put out ASAP. Again....YOU probably already KNOW all this. I was so pumped by things actually rooting I helped my local Walmart out by giving one of their lilac bushes (they have about 12 of them) a "trim." Didn't even charge them for it...LOL My bad...I know....

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Your instructions are very close to what I've read for clematis, so we're on the same page. I need to buy some fresh rooting hormone and fungicide (any suggestions for brand?). And I need to find my warming pad.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

There's one "out there" that is a combination rooting hormone w/fungicide...wish I remembered the name....I know I saw it last year at an ACE hardware if that helps at all. Wish I had a heat pad....not sure if I mentioned it or not...but I'm seriously considering seeing if I can get a great price on mats and do a co=op

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, your cuttings description was great -- thanks! I need to get a photo of YOUR sedum cuttings from last Spring so you can see what they look like now. They really took off and are lining my front walk now. So, thank you!

As for the heat matt co-op, consider me interested. I have been too [FRUGAL] to bother with purchasing a heat matt, but if the price is right, I would consider one!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

wrightie....dont' cha just love sedums!?!? God love em'!!! They're just about idiot proof to root - sweet babies they are!!! Now if the dark leaved ones would not be so tempting to the bug kingdom...I was lazy and saturated them with neem oil spray mix again....ugh...they look like crappolla right now....so sad. I'll be checking into the heat mat thing here in the next 3 weeks probably...figure it'll be the off season and some vendors "might" be happy to cut us cheap skates (speaking for myself here) a break.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I had no idea about the dark leaved problems! As a matter of fact, I started a mix of sedums from seed this year and have some really pretty ones going at the moment. I'm hoping that they make it! I'm counting on them to stabilize the soil along one of my paths and think the color contrasts could be gawgeous.

You speak for both of us, btw, you CheapO!

:)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like it WILL be gawgeous!!! Can't go wrong with sedums...they look great when everything else is brown...bloom when everything else is brown and attractive butterflies...what's NOT to like? You'll need to take pics to show us!!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I need new batteries, but will try to get the photo ASAP.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Poi-fect (recharge-ables - are my bestest friend)

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

WOW!! Great shots, Happy!!

I was going to suggest it might be Confederate jasmine but without seeing the pictures of the flower, it was guessing. Confederate jasmine is grown a lot in NC; it is hardy from zones 8-10 but blooms early and smells wonderful. I know some folks in D.C. can grow caemias and zone 8 plants in protected areas. D.C. city streets are much warmer than ours in the 'burbs.

But seeing the flower, I would think it is Clematis paniculata. Only thing is, I didn't know Clematis would bloom this early in the D.C. area!! I have never smelled a fragrant clematis. So if you have, your nose would know....

Any chance I can get dibbs on a cutting?? Pretty please!!

Here's Confederate jasmine:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wayne/agriculture/hort/graphics/Vines/Confederatejasmine.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wayne/agriculture/hort/GPFWC/Vines/Confederatejasmine.html&h=400&w=257&sz=33&hl=en&start=4&sig2=b_etMSgrdKCUbRExM006Hw&um=1&tbnid=cxoq98_1zLpboM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=80&ei=pVYLSLu_OZTyeeu81d8N&prev=/images%3Fq%3DConfederate%2Bjasmine%2Bvine%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Foxnfirefly: You are more than welcome to a cutting. I have plenty, and can get more (surrepticiously), but I understand it is hard to root. I'm working on it. The consensus is that it is some kind of early blooming clematis.

I don't think it is Confederate Jasmine -- the flowers look different --- see http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/17598/

This message was edited Apr 20, 2008 3:09 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, here you go! I put it in the Air & Dirt thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4836636

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Happy, why don't you post your photos in the clematis forum, if we have one, or in vines and climbers? I'll bet some of the clematis folks will know exactly what it is and whether it's a clematis for certain.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hart: I did post a link in the Clematis forum to the Plant ID posting I made. I'm sure, based on the photos, that it is some type of evergreen clematis, so I guess I'm satisfied. At some point I'll see it in someone's garden and be able to make a positive ID. At this point, I'm just concerned about getting it to root, which I gather won't be easy. I have rooted a lot of stuff, but I tend to take a very relaxed approach . . . .

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

It certainly looks like my (belated?) clematis armandii, which has very leathery leaves and blooms much earlier than my "early" clematis -- LOL.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you happen to know what cultivar you had?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

All that my records show is Clematis armandii, sorry.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

happy - I helped prune some more of the Lilacs tonight...decided I'd try both approaches...rooting powder/soil (put into one of those bags I did the co-op on) & those tonight I placed directly in water...we'll see.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I still haven't done anything with the clematis cuttings -- I'll probably get some fresh cuttings once I get fresh rooting powder. I stuck some other clematis cuttings in dirt, quite casually, last weekend, in a pot that I never covered in a plastic bag. They did ok for a while, but now look as if they are about to hit the dirt. But the armandii that I stuck in a glass of water are still doing fine. Not that that is a sign of anything, I know.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is a GREAT page with instructions for rooting Clematis cuttings:
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~JN7H-OONM/contents/cuttings_e.html

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I will follow those instructions and hope for the best.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Did you get fresh cuttings after class this weekend? I'm thinking that with a vine that vigorous, they may never notice if you did a big of "air layering" as long as you did the wrapping of the vine at the back of the trellis where it wouldn't show... of course, that's just a last resort if these babies don't root for ya!

I think clematis seeds are a good candidate for winter sowing... that's pretty painless to try, also!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's what I've done. I did take fresh cuttings 2 weekends ago (currently the class is on a 2-week break). I am sure no one would notice if I air layered, but so many people wanted starts that I did some research.

Clematis are hard to root. It seems clear that I need to wait a little later in the season. Apparently the soft shoots I cut off won't do it.

Then I found 2 techniques, and I have laid in the supplies for both. One involves putting the semi-hardwood cuttings into water with a bubbler; the other involves a series of careful steps but is basically the traditional approach to taking a 2-node cutting, disinfecting it, using rooting hormone, heating mat, etc. So I'm all ready -- just waiting 'till a little later in the season. I'm giving it a 50-50 chance. Apparently, even if they root they have a hard time making it through the first winter (although they are definitely hardy here).

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh better you then I...that's all I've got to say!! LOL Out of probably 6 sets of different cuttings - looks like I've had success with 3 of them...ugh (might be these cooler night temps since I don't have a heat mat - I did bring em all in last night though...too cool IMHO)!!! Course these are different jasmines - not sure how difficult they are. Watching the lilac cuttings, one group in soil the other in water, now.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2008 10:59 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I've not had much luck rooting plants that are known to be hard to root, but I'm going to give it the old college try. I'll let you know.

Great!! I know you wouldn't give up on the first try!!

I think the rooting hormone method may work best.

Happy--why are you taking French, anyway?? I wanted to ask before but it slipped by. Just curious what you will do with a new language!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Just keeping my brain working . . . .

LOL!! You don't have any trouble with that! I "d love to take it for the cultural aspects. The cuisine and the vineyard parley-voo.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The sad thing is we can't afford a trip to France at the current exchange rates . . . . .

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? I took this photo yesterday. It flowers for a couple weeks in the Spring and that's it. I love it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4906811

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wow, that's gorgeous. I'll bet somebody in the bulbs forum would know if no one here recognizes it.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

It's taking its sweet time in spreading, otherwise I'd have some to share at the swap! Grrr

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Please let us know when you figure it out!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

In case you didn't see it in the May flowers thread, it seems a good possibility that it is a Ground Orchid such as this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/671/

Now, I can go and get some more!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow -- I bought that last year, and just about killed it off, but I saw a tiny shoot of it a few weeks ago when I was weeding! Do you know what conditions it likes?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

it prefers part shade, moist conditions ... that is, if you believe some of what PlantFiles says. Mine, however is in the front yard, along the path, so it is in full sun and gets baked because I definitely do not water enough to keep that soil "moist."

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Mine is on a hill, under a red maple. It wasn't happy last year, but I'm hoping its roots have dug in any maybe it'll do better this year. Or else it'll die in short order. Yours is lovely. I didn't realize it would grow so tall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.