Here a Swap, There a Swap, Anywhere a Spring Swap?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sigh- another plant party, how can I resist? Esp when its so convenient for my annual side trip on East 66.
Norwegian- and we all dress in approved gnome outfit, see Gita for details- redshorts, blue hat, or the other way around...

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOLOLOLOL - you are conjuring up images that will forever be stuck in my mind - gnome outfits and matching Jimmy's!!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OMG - I can see the headlines now: AP: DG'ers Gone Wild...at a Blockbuster near you

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

or on pay-per-view ;-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

...but wait...there's more

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

... if you act NOW ....

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

...we'll make ONE payment for you!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I recently learned (on the writer's forum -- wild bunch, those writers) there's a World Naked Gardening Day... I think it's in May... ;-)

I googled it, and it's May 5 -- too early for our party, shucky darns. I'm not going to post a link, because, well, there are photos of skyclad gardeners... but there is a *.org website.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

HOW did we go from gnomes to nekked gardeners :) LOLOLOLOL

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Carp pie-just reminded me wanted to write about Naked ladies Lycoris for that day

Bare roots is about as far as I think we wanna go tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I did not bring up "DGers gone wild!"

I just have to share this quote I found, though: "Second only to swimming, gardening is at the top of the list of family-friendly activities people are most ready to consider doing nude."

I think I'd rather dress like a gnome at Becky's party... but I'd rather garden in the buff than don Jimmy Choo shoes as per an earlier suggestion!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, I sure wish I could remember which DGer liked to post an annual photo of "Naked Ladies By the Pool!"

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

"Second only to swimming, gardening is at the top of the list of family-friendly activities people are most ready to consider doing nude."

Ohmygawdthatissooooooooofunny!!!!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My first thought, of course, was.....Nude Gardening and the "little ole cactus patch"....I'm just thinkin' the tribe (aka kids) would not have signed up for that detail...I could be wrong though....(NOT)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There's a photo of a lady apparently engaged in deadheading her roses... ouch!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

HEY!!! I can dig up some "Naked Ladies" (Lilies--that is) as long as my new neighbors-to-be haven't moved in yet. Remember? I am good at "stealing things".....:o)
I think they are moving in (at least the settlement is on) April 22. Gotta hurry!!!! I have NO clue if they are gardeners at all......

Whoever suggested may 31st--that is Memorial Day Folks!!!! ...DAH!

Beckie, May 24 is on MY calendar! And--NO way Jose!!!!! I am NOT dressing as a Gnome!!!!! They are only 6" tall. I am almost 5'8".....HUGE discrepancy!
NOW--This will be a PLANT Swap--NOT a seed Swap--right? By now--all our seeds should be plants anyways! I know mine are!

It will be great to see everyone again!

Gita
Can I come like this?.....PLEEEEASE??????

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Or--maybe like this????

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh Gita: Please bring naked ladies! I got some bulbs last year, but I'd dearly love more. I have just the spot for them!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got some huge bulbs from a friend in CA... planted them carefully... it's been several years, and I've seen no sign of them. There are other things in those two beds now, so I haven't gone digging to see what's become of them. I can't actually swear that they've never put up foliage, as it might have gone unnoticed amid the daffodils, irises, daylilies, etc... but I've sure never seen a flower. I know they can take up to 4 or 5 years to flower after they've been moved (I read recently that the big tubers produce little tubers, not flowers, and the little tubers take several years to grow on to flowering size... then they are big tubers that produce little tubers in turn), so I'm not -- quite -- giving up hope!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

by the way, which Naked Ladies are we talking about? I think there's a Lycoris species and an Amaryllis species, both called Naked Ladies... and I think the Amaryllis one is borderline hardy in our area (might be the one I was sent, which would explain that).

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think you are right. At great expense I bought the latter, not realizing they weren't hardy. Then once I realized my folly I swapped then with someone on DG because I kill ALL marginally hardy plants -- I think I have exceptionally soggy spring soil. But lo and behold, someone else offered a swap for some Lycoris, so I grabbed them and planted them in my front yard, carefully marking them. I think there were 10 bulbs in all. I went hunting today and could only find one marker. Sad me -- what could I have done? But I saw something that might just have been the peeking out of foliage. My fingers are crossed!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey! You all really want me to go digging? I have NO idea how deep they are down?

They seem to be growing everywhere on her kitchen side. Some are in a bed--but then there is a bunch under a Holly bush where they put the trash can. Kind of a shame--don't you think? I may just attack that bunch! My old neighbor's father came originally from Holland and he used to own a Nursery somewhere on the eastern Shore. I know some of the bulbs that my neighbor had were given to her from him.

From what Jill said--it seems not to be the easiest bulb to mess with.

Here is a picture of them from August of last year. What do i do after i dig up the bunch?

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Gita, my lilies are poking their heads out now, so you might just look for their little nubs sticking out?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My neighbor's are about 2' tall--falling all over each other. These clumps really are very root bound! Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow......

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Need help digging? I'll drive out . . . . .

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well-----------

The "deed" is done!!!!!

Dug up a big clump of the naked ladies.....all just for YOU ALL--you ravenous plant freaks!!!!
Worked out OK--as all three of the sisters were there yesterday and one of them wanted to take home some of the blue iris--an old Peony bush (THAT was hard to dig up!) and also some of the naked ladies. I offered to do the digging. She would have never gotten it done! Settlement on the house is on the 22nd. After that--nothing is "mine" any more----unless, they plan to destroy everything that is in the back yard and pave it over---then I will say, "Ahem....if you don't mind....could I just dig up some of the plants there????" Asking--shovel in hand....

I Offered to dig them up for Judy--while they all loaded all the remaining "stuff" in a U-Haul to take to Goodwill.

So--I said to Judy--these (the nekked ladies) are in a really bad spot. The trash can always gets put on top of them and they are under a Holly bush. I will dig half of them up for you, and later i will dig up the other half for myself and some friends.......

So--today i did. I have them all in a 14" black plastic pot and that is where they will stay until the swap. The leaves are sooooo long! They are flopping out all over.
The bulbs were of all sizes--so---que serra--serra!!!!

There is still a HUGE, overgrown clump of these closer to the kitchen door.

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You are the champ!

The leaves are out already? Hmm. That doesn't bode well for the ones I planted last fall -- the bulbs seemed to be in great shape, but no sign of a leaf yet.

You gotta hit that clump next to the kitchen door -- it would be doing the ladies a favor to separate them out!!! The new owners are bound not to appreciate them!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've spotted leaves from the ones I planted several years ago!! There are a couple of them by the big patio rock and at least one out in the daff/DL island bed... I may have missed them among the iris, daffodil, and daylily leaves before, but this time I'm certain of what they are! Who knows, perhaps some summer we'll have a few blooms. :-)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm sending very positive gamma rays the way of my naked ladies. Mine may need to be renamed "invisible ladies!"

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

OK, That does it. I'm never going on vacation in the Spring again........
Going to miss Longwood, going to miss RCN's open house, going to miss Becky's swap and after being gone for 3 weeks probably won't do a turnaround back south for Jody's swap.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

H-O-L-L-Y!!!!!! *sniffle* We'll miss you!!!

Gita - do those "nekked ladies" (I giggle every time I think of someone saying that) have any scent to them? We'll all come, with shovels in hand, and help you dig...then go, with snippers in hand, to happy's vining site....shall we do this late at night wearing black?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly -- 3 weeks vacation??!! You'll be the talk of the swap. How wonderful!

Chantell: My DH promises that if we are locked up, he'll bring us a cake with a file baked in the middle.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Note to self...."borrow" a landscapers license to show authorities - "Why sir, it's plain to see we are pruning this obvious eye sore that's not been properly tended to"

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm going to have an easy time with the vine. It is on the fence between my French school and the neighbor. I'll take a camera and clippers next Saturday. I'll even ask permission, assuming I can find anyone who will care. I'll get cuttings for all who asked, and hopefully I'll be able to root them. I need to find the rooting hormone . . ..

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Three cheers for Happy...hip, hip hooray, hip, hip hooray, hip, hip hooray!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Now watch, it'll turn out to be something boring and ordinary that'll make you all yawn. But I don't think so. It is certainly not an annual -- the leaves had that toughened look. I hope it'll still be in bloom so I can take a photo of it in all its glory.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes it's true I will miss you all terribly and my garden will be completely bare without plants from the swap. Sigh (Holly looking sadly towards the floor) Sigh.
O well, guess I will just have to spend those weeks wandering thru Brookgreen Gardens everyday and laying on the beach.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

We do hope you can keep the blues away, there on the beach.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey guys I just realized that the 24th is Memorial Day weekend. Will that make a difference for your swap?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am NOT digging out that other clump! it is right next to the kitchen door and very obvious. I know the new owner knows it is there.....

What I will do--is dump out all the ones I did dig up and put maybe 3 or 4 bulbs (asst sizes) in a gallon pot in some soil. Kind of neater.....as we have over a month to go yeat to the Swap.

How many of you actually really, really want to have some? It might help me when I sort....
Raise your hands, please.....

Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.