Show and some answers please

Perth, Western Austr, Australia

This is a Jasmin I put it in the ground when I got to this place it perking up

Thumbnail by Norm_au

And these guys grow tall and have a big yellow flower on them all the world like a sunseed flower, but it isn't. is it ? hehehe

Thumbnail by Norm_au

And there you have it to date, all my plants flowers and shrubs, some names to the ones I don't know would be greatly appreciated and a bit of a clew to where they would be happiest in my garden, I think alot of the stuff I have are shade plants, they don't seem to do well in full sun.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wow Norm!
1. Hibiscus 2. As you know, bird of paradise, (well done) 3. left is a climbing/trailing geranium, right is aStapelia (as you guessed, and good luck with flowers)
4. Dianthes

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Your crown of thorns is nice, I have a red one and a white one. They are a Euphorbia.
Then you have some Epis which i am totally ignorant of the names.
next is Aspidistra (cast Iron plant) I'm not sure of the pot if the middle, and yes, definitely Moses-in-the-basket (Rhoeo)
Your fishbone fern is doing great and I wouldn't worry about repotting it. They'll grow on concrete!
Your Coleus in the pot together will look fabulous
And the little pot does look like geranium pieces again. Maybe its called ivy geranium?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

In your group of plants the little spotted thingy is a Gasteria. KK, is the expert on succulents, but Jen from your neck of the woods is onto them also.
I don't know what the little plant in the burgundy pot is, the one you were told is a weed?
Spot on with your hydrangea. Gee they all look healthy Norm!
I don't know the next one Either. Does it flower?
The one you have no luck with is a Zygo cactus. It likes shade and dry, although it must get watered now and then, just not soggy all the time. Jeans good at those aswell as Epi's.
The climber/creeper, I don't know the name of, but i have the same one. Love it!

Norm ...you are off to a good start! I have a busy morning but will come back for a chat later ...you are going well ...and you are on your way to being a garden addict, good on you mate! Next time if you number your questions it will be easy to answer individual plants ...happy gardening.
chrissy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Chrissy, bye chrissy.
Ok, in your pic with the Miniature Jasmine? I don't know what the palm is, and I think the plant to the left of it is an Aglaonema.
In the next one, the leafy green/cream plant is a deifenbachia (don't know if I spelled that one right, pretty sure I didn't) and the Fern looks familiar, I thought Holly fern, but not sure.
The succulent that burst the pot is an Echiveria species and will thrive in part to full sun in well drained soil, but looks good in containers.
The elephant ear plant is a Philodendron zanadu. They get about 1.5 mtres wide and only a metre high, and you can keep cutting them off as they form trunks and start new ones. full sun is ok for them.
Your cyclamen looks great. I started seeds last year in a damp sand mix, but they have since died off from overhead watering, I think. Try not to wet the leaves.
Birds nest ferns are from the rain forrest where they grow on the sides of trees or on the forrest floor, so definitely like the shade!
Your jade plant (From Elsi?) I think you have in twice. Its a Crassula orbiculata.
Then you have the most beautiful hanging succulent, that I don't know what it is, but I think it must need more light and no wind, as it looks quite fragile. You can start new ones with all those litle bits on the floor!
The next two i think are crassulas again. ones in a basket and the other is Elsi's gift.
The one in the foyer is a Dracaena fragrans, or Happy plant. You can cut it at any point on the stem and repot it and it will grow again very easily! the old stem should then sprout new shoots but do it in spring when it is beginning to warm up. The two at the door are related and can be treated in the same way. Also, if you break out the tip of them in spring, it will branch and get about 3-5 new heads.
I'm not sure about your climber with yellow flowers. Could be carolina jamsmine maybe?

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Last lot.
I don't know about the small purple flowering ground cover, but the one out side, that you took the earlier cutting of, looks like it could be an Alternanthera, but I'm not sure. Its doing well anyway!
The next one is like the ones at your door, the Dracaenas. Thats what happens if you break out the tip, it sprouts more heads. It can be grown in sun to shade, but I think prefers a bit of shade.
your Orange Jesamin, (Murraya) is doing well too.
The next one with flowers, is a Hebe, and is usually grown in full sun, but the glass may reflect light or heat at it depending on your aspect, but just keep an eye on it for signs of leaf burn on that side.
Your frangis are doing well, full sun definitely!
The long strappy leaved plants with purple and white balls on stems are Agapanthus. They are very hardy and take full sun.
The succulents with the little pink flowers have a common name of Sun Jewel, and I think they are a Potulaca, Not sure. But they like full sun too, obviously!
Then you have your jasmine and then I don't know what those little things are? Do you?
Most of your plants lok very healthy, so you must be doing something right! I've learned the hard way, and have spent alot of time, digging up plants and moving them till I get it right! Good luck with them all Norm!
Sue

Perth, Australia

The great big hanging thing, with lightish fleshy leaves that hang down in threads is a Sedum burrito, its common name is burro's tail... http://images.google.com/images?q=sedum+burrito I'm not sure why it's called that but you can see that its like full of tails. That is a gorgeous specimen! if you sell it you can sell it for like 60 dollars on ebay easy... and Sue's right, those will grow where they break off!

I'd try to identify the ones that Sue hasn't but there are no numbers to id them with sorry too much of a headache to try.

Beautiful plants... great green thumb, keep it up!! even the cacti and succulents!

Yes it all looks good ...I recognise some that will go nuts in the ground ...I love the long dangly one! Burro's tail ...it must be quite old ...I saw a parlour palm in there and apart from one plant that looked a bit sunburnt ...they all look good. Keep up the good work.
chrissy

Hi all,
Thank you so much weed_woman, you are a champ, you know so many of them and thanks for your kind words thank you also Jensilaedi for the plant id, and thanks for the encouragment, and chrissy100, thank you too for the parlour palm, that got really badly burnt, when I moved here it was summer and not knowing to much I stuck it out the front (full sun) it went all shades of yuck so I brought it in under the shade clothe and it has come good, there are a couple of others I have been trial and erroring with, I whack them out in the sun and in a few days there either loving it or yelling at me hehehe, a rather horrid way of finding out, but now im gonna be going along great guns thanks to you all, I started numbering them to make it easier, Jensilaedi was right I should have done it right from start would have been so much easier, I have reached my edit limit for today apparently so tomorrow I will number some more for you all. a big thanks to all. Peace and Blessings.

Norm . . .

PS: almost forgot, weed_woman, yes it does flower, the nicest little pinky white flowers really tiny, and it really turns it on when it is happy, it was packed at the old place, hopefully it will get there again.

This is a shot of my boy, Crease, Rotty, Pit Bull X unfortunatly he is a digger and has to be contained down the back part of the yard with the fruit tree's and my work shop any one know how to stop him from digging ? try any thing lol except a bullet.

Thumbnail by Norm_au
Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

These are *brilliant* for keeping dogs (and cats) in the yard and/or out of garden beds http://www.hiddenfence.com.au/contact_us.html

A bit of an outlay, but IMO worth every cent: happy owners, happy gardeners, happy and safe pets!

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Boy Norm , that is a list. I can advise on some. reading down from the top.
pic 7 This is an epiphyllum and looking at the tall stem , it could be one of the night flowering ones.
pic 8 More epis. The leaves can be very different even on the same plant. They can vary in width and whether they have
more or less indentations. they can be flat or triangular.
pic 9 Another epi in the front left side.
pic 10 Fishbone fern. You can thin it out and replant some in pot or put in ground. Be aware that it can take over in
garden
pic 14 Definitely a hydrangea.
pic 17 A lovely zygocactus. Very pretty when in flower . similar care as epis.
pic 25 A very nice specimen of birds nest fern. I love these with the really wavy leaves.
pic 37 Another of my favourites, a Hebe. They are very hardy and give a lovely show of folwers for quite a long time.
You can get Hebes in a lot of shapes and sizes. I have around 10 and there always seems to be a flower.
Well thats my bit of info. I hope it helped along with all the other info from our dear DG friends.
You have the start of a really nice garden .
Happy gardening,
Jean

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi again Norm. #7 middle kinda looks like a Canna? Have you seen it flower or is it a relatively new purchase/gift?
Your puppy looks nice. My two only dig to stash a bone and like to dig where I've recently cultivated. Luckily for them, they haven't dug up too many plants, (or I'd be looking for that bullet) I did read once that you should give them a place they can dig, like a pile of sawdust, which you keep damp so they can lie in it on hot days, aswell as hiding treats in it to encourage them to dig in "their spot". I don't know if it works, but it sounds like a nice thing to do for a mate anyway!
Once you get those plants numbered, I'm sure the Ids will be flooding in!
Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.