Crown of thorns

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Welcome, Gardenchic! Thanks for the additional notes. COTs usually freeze to the ground in north Florida, but will sometimes return if the freezes are not too severe. The COTs I had all died out over the past two especially cold winters, along with other Euphorbias that are also not entirely freeze-hardy (Devil's Backbone, Pencil Euphorbia, Fire Sticks, etc.)

One of my neighbor's may have what is the old-fashioned somewhat more freeze hardy landscape Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima). The Poinsettia has been in the ground for a decade or more and blooms each year. It grows in shade under a large old Live Oak that contributes to its winter survival through the overhanging leafy limbs. The neighbor agreed to let me take a cutting of the Poinsettia. I followed the advice of others on DG and have waited until warm weather to try to propagate it, but my pruning shears are getting itchy to go get a piece of it. LOL

One Euphorbia that does seem to be winter-hardy here is Euphorbia leucocephala http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/86745/ ). I have had one of these for several years and it comes back every year and flowers late in the year, about the same time as Poinsettias. I don't provide it any winter protection. It dies back to the ground, but comes back and reaches about 6 ft in height in a single growing season.

Jeremy

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi All....New around here.
I have 2 of these plants in pots. One is a baby about 6 inches tall, the other around 15 inches or so. Mine get early morning to mid-day sun. I have never fertilized them, since I assumed they were in the cacti family I avoided doing so. I had an older one that I planted in the ground....THAT just happened to be the winter we had a freeze that lasted for more than a couple days here in south Tex. IT died back to the ground.
Anyway...as far as caring for these plants I have only watered them lightly about twice a week....and as I said NEVER do I fertilize them. Mine have always bloomed 365 days a year..NO joke. They continually show signs of new growth.
There was a nursery not far from me that had one over 10 feet tall. I wanted to bring it home so bad...Almost did, and then POW...that was the year of the hard freeze.
SO....from now on Mine stay in pots only, the 10 footer was in a pot, so mine will be as well.
Thanks for sharing everyone!
~~Peace~~

Welcome, Lily, and thanks for the tips on tending a CoTs!

We've had similar hard freezes (20s F for sustained periods of time) for the last two winters. I lost all my CoTs. I had put them all into my cacti/succulent garden and didn't get a chance to cover that area with a plastic tent as I had done in previous years.

Jeremy

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 10:13 AM

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

No problem Jax... And I did cover mine during the freeze. No use.. it simply could not take the cold.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine are in full bloom after a rest from their winter bloom. I just love them and wih I could find more. The green one finally opened last week. Cant find the camera, was taking daylily pictures and have set it 'somewhere'

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Gardenglory, they sell them everywhere here... large blooms and small, usually red or white versions. They run from around 8 bux to 20 bux depending on size. I would be happy to pick one up for you if You want.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was wondring why I had missed the co-ops from burried treasures, which is where i got my COT. I just now noticed the forget-me-nots on the above thread. I had no idea he had passed. That rather distresses me. Ill look at my blooms a little differently now, WOW...and he was such a pleasure to talk to.

Thank you lily, ive about run out of sun tho and Im using this year to clear out things that dont grow so well or are alot of upkeep, by next year, God willing, I hope to start collecting some new friends.

Miami Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello ,Just some blooms from few months back.
I love this thread..you get to learn so much...
Thank You.
Emily

Euphorbia milii hybrids:

This message was edited Apr 21, 2011 4:24 PM

Thumbnail by SobeGardener

This message was edited Apr 21, 2011 4:23 PM

Marathon, FL(Zone 11)

Crown of Thorns are real workhorses. I have several in a huge pot out back right by the Atlantic Ocean and one pot right on the dock. They can take salty air and even some direct salt water and they keep on blooming. The only thing that I have found kills them down here is if we have lots of rain and the ones in the pot stay too wet for too long. They will rot quickly. Mine bloom year round. I actually prefer them in pots, they stay more compact and don't get leggy. Plus once they get root bound, as long as you feed them more often, they won't stay wet and the rot is not an issue

Thumbnail by islandgirl37
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Weedsgalore,

I am in love with the Thai hybrids - especially the pink ones! What is the name of the one you posted here? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4795054

Thanks!
Carol

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi alll -

I stumbled upon this thread. If you are purchasing COT you will not be disappointed. I planted mine in front 2-3 years ago and they are thriving. I have not had to prune them at all and they have remained full of leaves and blooms. I wish now, that I had purchased a few more.

Thumbnail by floridabunnie

floridabunny -- you can probably propagate new COTs from the ones you have if you just want to add more of the same type/color. They will generally root fairly easily from stem cuttings.

I wish they were more winter hardy in my area, but I can seldom get them to survive the winters.

Jeremy

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Jeremy - I will try that.

It is too bad that you cannot have them in your area, they are so nice and easy to take care of. I have lost a few small ones down here to some cooler winter nights. However, the big ones that I have seem to be thriving well. I have a couple of yellow ones that remain more rounded (more medium size) and have done well too. I have noticed that the larger ones have been harder to find this year for some reason.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.