Crown of thorns

Beverly Hills, FL(Zone 8b)

This is called rose, the plant is a cutting that I got on ebay and only about a couple of inches in length. But I really like it.

mimi

Thumbnail by mimianvy

This one, I have no idea what it's called and the plant is only about an inch long.

Mimi

Thumbnail by mimianvy

Very nice. They have become a favorite plant of mine. They will start growing quickly once established.

Thank you, Dutchlady.

mimi

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Noid for this one

Thumbnail by fleurone

Fleurone,

That one is so cute! Have you gone to the IHop on 19 in Spring Hill/Wiki Wachi? They have large crown of thorne by the entrance of the building. When I go there I get so tempted to take a piece!

Also, is there a nursery in your area that you recommend?

Mimi

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

mimianvy, no I haven't been there, our local thai on rt 50 has a row of them they are only around a foot high right now but look great.

Also haven't been to any local nurseries. I buy quite a few of my plants from a lady that sells on ebay and she is state registered for plants etc. Plants are always great and she also adds freebie plants. Lovely lady.:)
She lives near Lucy somewhere in Wauchula (sp)

I have also bought some nice plants at Webster fleamarket although I don't get there very often. I don't know how far away from you that is. Howards fleamarket on 19 near Homosassa they used to have some decent plant vendors

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Fleur, a lady that lives somewhere close to me that sells plants on Ebay? I wonder who that could be. Interesting. What's her ebay name?
~Lucy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Lucy she lives on Peebles / Peoples Lane , will dmail it to you

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I got one at HD this week. I just love it. Im shocked, as it is the last plant I would have looked for. It looks fake, its just perfect with its green leaves sticking up so the pink flowers can frolic amongunst them. They had yellow ones and ones with teenie red flowers. I just came home and oredered seven more from the tropicals co-op. One of every new one and a white one. I hope it stays blooming a good while. I just had no idea these exsisted except as red, in the landscape at the beach. they were more stem than flower and leaves.

That's funny, because I would have never gotten this kind of plant. Not normally into anything with thorns. But lately I've been buying these and also cachus orchids. I think I read about new plants here on DG and just so influenced to get them.

Mimi

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I despise anything with thorns and was given my first COT. I actually bought the second one. The other night sitting on the porch at dusk, I watched a hummer work my yellow COT over. It ignored the red one right next to it. Very willing bloomer and my kind of plant.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2008 7:33 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

holy cow, I would have never guess hummers. Makes me like it even more. Do you have it in a pot or in the ground?

Fleur, Peeples Rd is North of me, about 5 or 6 miles. She should have a Fort Meade address, or maybe a Bowling Green address.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

GardenGlory ~ mine are potted so I can offer protection thru winter. They bloomed all winter on an enclosed 50 degree porch too. How can I not like these thorns... LOL

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well then, I think I will pot them and leave them outside for the hummers,.Then, in by the pool for the winter and to add some color to the patio. A win win I hope.

Tampa, FL

hi all, i love the COT's, (hybrid thai variety) they bloom 24/7 and have no disease problems that i have encountered..i keep them in pots and have been growing them for a few years now...here are some un-named varieties...i have picked up here and there...they are getting so large..that they are unwieldy...but i bring them in anytime during cold weather...sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

another....this is the more common form...has the neat little white part to it...

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

more.....

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

and last one...the pots and plants weigh so much, as i like to do my own mosaics on my "precious" COT's pots...right now i have hand-fulls of osmocote to promote spring growth and bloom! they do like to be watered more than most euphorbias...thanks , s ue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

They are beautiful Sue. I was looking on ebay earlier and amazed at all the different coloured ones now.

Tampa, FL

Hi fleurone! how are you? There is a place in Seffner, that most people have been pleased with...they sell the different colored varieties...i have a really nice red...i will try to find the pic of...they are just now starting to take off...they were a little sulky with the cold weather..i have a white one..that has no leaves but starting it's blooms...my patio garden is primarily COT's easiest plants i have encountered in Fla. Every year i used to spend much money replenishing the annuals and perrenials...now i do mostly succulents...they pretty much make their own new plants...i do repot every season..as they need this to look their best! sue

Tampa, FL

Here is sort of an overview of some of them...there is the red one, which has always given me trouble, it wants to tip over. i have had to stake it...still a nice plant, but unruly...lol..sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Sue :0) I don't drive over here .

I only have the one COT ( NOID further up the thread ) , never been into the thorn business but these are interesting. I planted mine out in the garden but will bring it in in the winter I guess.
I am trying to do mainly natives and perennials but it's all a learning curve

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

omg they are beautiful makes mine look really pathetic!!. Now if I could get them to look like that.....that would be a whole differnt story !

Love the pot is that what you do ?. I have toyed with the idea of mosaic and even bought a special cutter ( can't think of the name right now ) a few weeks ago but that is as far as I have got.

I primarily paint but have been so caught up in restoring/improving ths garden that is on the back burner. I also have boxes of driftwood to make things with , and my wood burner etc...

Tampa, FL

fleurone, no big deal, just find some cheap tiles, (lowes), or some chipped plates, thrift stores, garage sales, flea mkts, wrap them in a tile and smash with a hammer...the fun glass flower arrangeing pieces are from good ol' walmart! Colored grout can be made with white grout (lowes) mastic (lowes) that is jfor glueing the shards to the jpot.. and a couple of table spoons of the 2 oz. craft paint, from anywhere. Very easy, but time consuming...i buy terra-cotta pots, or use up some of my old ones...but they do make the whole pot very heavy to move...your COT's will look like these in a couple of years, you live in the right place!! these wonderful plants even weather our rainy season!!!! sue

Sue,

Your COT and the pots are gorgeous. When mine grows up, I hope they look like yours!

Mimi

Tampa, FL

Trust me folks, they will!! They love watering and a loose soil, (i use any potting soil, and mix about one third perlite, and always a small handfull of Osmocote! That is it...they are in from full sun, to small part shade, and also under a screened pool enclosure.(year round) sue

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have covered terra cotta pots in sea shells set in cement, also breeze blocks ( don't know if they are called that here ) make great planters but haven't tried tile and china must do that. Also keep meaning to try the witching balls on the trash to treasure thread I think it is.
Grout and craft paint sounds good, do you seal them after ? .

hmm o.k. might bring mine back on the pool deck, your's are stunning.

Sue, those are beautiful. : ) I bought 2 recently down at Pioneer Park days in Zolfo Springs. One is Red, and the other yellow. I love them.

Your pots are beautiful, also. : ) If you ever break one of your COTs, (God forbid) remember me. lol ; )
~Lucy

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

Sue, your pots are gorgeous! And the COTs are too!

Cathy

Sue you can trim the COT back and root the cuttings; they take a little time and you need to let them callous for a few days before starting but then they usually root easily.
Or you can send the cuttings to me LOL.

Tampa, FL

lolol....I always get many requests for cuttings when i post the cot's...i actually have a shipment going out this week to a friend....i am not doing cuttings yet, folks, as they are just getting going...Dutchlady, sometimes they root easily for me, and sometimes i have much trouble with them, and they kick off...i don't know if it is the time of the year i do this or not?

fleurone, i don't seal my mosaic pots.i want them to be porous for good drainage...and very few lose their "marbles", i do have a couple that have lost pieces..i will post you folks one of my most favorite pots, when the sun gets a bit higher...i have already bored the folk on the C&S, site, with my cots and pots...for years now! lol...thanks for the compliments folks.. sue

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Very nice pots. Love them actually.

It looks like the one I got at HD, was the common pink one. It has those little white flowers on the pink. Sure hooked me. I wish I could remember the ones I ordered from the co-op. A white one..dawn., green queen, sonia, pepermint candy, peach delight. harlequin and I forget the last one. I sure hope they grow half as good as yours seem to.

Tampa, FL

They will gardenglory, we are in the best place for these plants! I love the fact that you have named ones...not one of my "mutts" had a name,,,here is a shot i took a couple of weeks ago..of my small garden, it has had it's fall clean up of all the millions of oak leaves...cheesh...i hate those leaves, even tho i know they are good for the soil...there is the red one my favorite! I notice the whites, greens, and cream colored blooms are not as large or robust in blooming as the pinks, corals, reds..the plants are smaller too...sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

I picked up a pile of cuttings from the roadside this morning....:-) About 25. They are the common red but still.....

The cuttings can be hit and miss but I have recently started rooting them just like I do my plumeria and I have good luck with them. Let the cuttings callous for a few days, dip in rooting hormone, then root in about an inch of soil topped with an inch or two of perlite. Just lightly put them in there. The bottom still rests in the perlite so doesn't get soggy, and the roots have some soil to get into once they start forming.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone.

I remembered in the night they are cinder blocks here , breeze blocks in England. .

Makes sense not to seal them Sue, now why didn't I think of that!.
Beautiful pictures. I have brugs on the pool deck and a few other plants but trying to stay away from aynything that drops leaves/flowers or in general is messy. I have abeautiful sandpaper vine on there but it is going to have to be relocated, too many flowers blowing into the pool. It looks lovely but can't be doing the cleaning system much good. The cots seem a good idea. Just going to bring the red one back in to start with though and see how it does.

Great find Dutchlady :)
Finally have the other spurge seeds so will get them on their way to you this week. Any luck with the others yet?

Tampa, FL

Hey, thanks Dutch lady, that sound better than what i was doing for rooting...too lazy to pick up rooting hormone..i know it would help...fleurone, the cot's are MESSY! They do drop their blooms after they are done, and sometimes drop a "bloom stick" which is very sticky..i find them in my cats fur sometimes...i have a couple around the pool, but since i am not that concerned..i pick up the debris when i think of it...

Dutch lady, what a find, just stick those cots in the soil and they will take off...they are not as picky as the Thai hybrids..sue

Sue,

If you don't mind, which nursery in Seffner carries Thai COT's?

Mimi

Tampa, FL

mimi, it is "Buried Treasures" at Valrico, Fla. not Seffner...and it is in the files of shops here in Dave's Garden! I had heard many people have ordered from them and were really pleased...they have a nice selection of Cot's and everything else..lots of unusual Adeniums too...actually looking at their plants i was able to id some of my cot's...nice website, some really neat plants! Good luck. They do mail order..i would love to visit them...i might call and ask...sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.