Daffodils: Part 2!

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

hi guys,
just thought i would start another thread because some folks are having trouble loading the first one due to all the posts. ok, guys, lets see some more of your beauties. it has been terrible weather here the last couple of days, havent been able to take any new pics. with the torrential rain we had today, i am kinda afraid to see what damage it might have done to all my daffs. :( i do have a few of the Thalia (i think that is it) blooming. they are so delicate.

tracie

NOID

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice photo, Tracie! Good choice to start another thread LOL - the first one was getting kind of long.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

the rain did quite a number on many of my daffs. we got about 2.5 inches of rain in a couple of hours. anyway, i got one pic of my thalias.

tracie

Thalia

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That's a lot of rain! The first 'Jack Snipe' started opening today:

Thumbnail by claypa

These said 'King Alfred' on the bag, but they're probably something else

Thumbnail by claypa

I saw this one called 'Jenny' at Chanticleer gardens, a nice, tall-ish cyclamineus type. Not a good picture but here it is:

Thumbnail by claypa
(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I like the recurved petals on Jenny and the pale yellow cup.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

I just discovered something really bad :-( I was planting some perennials and was looking at my Ice Follies and noticed I didn't have anywhere near as many flowers as I did, say, Sir Winston Churchill, even though I planted the same amount. I started digging holes and found some daffodils with the stems completely under the soil. I found one that wa just today producing a bud at normal height, and I had to dig down 16 inches to find the bulb!!! I don't know what I did to get them so deep....I am usually very careful about that. I even found a bunch that had never bloomed under the surface. A few made it to the top and bloomed at normal height despite my error. What could have happened? I am SURE I didn't plant them this deep. Found something similar with a group of hyacinths too - some of those even bloomed underghround. Isn't that the weirdest thing? I am really ticked at myself.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2008 10:33 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That is weird! Could something have burrowed beneath them close enough to make the soil under them collapse causing them to fall deeper into the bed? Earthquake? Kidding:) Strange.

somewhere, PA

Some bulbs do move themselves to the proper height but I've never
heard of them moving to an improper height! Very odd.

We finally have some bloom here! I think these are jetfire

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

I'll have to search a bit further... I can't figure out which one this
is ... anyone recognize it?

Thumbnail by Tammy
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

No, but I love that egg yolk color!

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very very nice daffs, Clay & Tammy. You are now in the daffodil spotlight! LOL

somewhere, PA

I believe that that one must be "Orange Ice Follies" I bought a mix
called "sparkling spring" from Van Engelen and this seems the best
match for the one that's flowering.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I agree, very nice and now we can enjoy yours!

Tammy, your unknown looks like a couple I have in a special mix, they and one other were the only ones to flower this year in a large tub. I came to the conclusion it's Orange Ice Follies.

3 in a row N. poeticus. BTW, I checked the poeticus I planted and have got 9 but they only have a couple of leaves each. Maybe they should be moved but I wanted them where they are, they've been in for at least 3 years so maybe I will have to wait just in case they have grown new bulbs.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
somewhere, PA

Perhaps Ice Follies?

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Another NOID

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Wallaby - that's another lovely photograph. Do you suppose they
are crowded?

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

1st daffodils outside this year.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Topolino.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Thanks Tammy. Yours look like Ice Follies to me. The N. poeticus I planted are very well spaced. The self set (in the picture) looks crowded as it has several bulbs from increasing and they are neck to neck but are doing well, it must like where it is under the tree, in a free draining raised bed.

Topolino is lovely jmorth, all these lovelies I have often thought I wanted are making me go crazy, lol.

Here's a sneak preview of Narcissus 'Avalanche', a.k.a. 'Seventeen Sisters'. It starts to open close to the ground, and more flowers appear as it gets taller. I think there were fifteen on a stem last year.

Thumbnail by claypa
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Kedron - really heavenly aroma. Just perfect

Thumbnail by GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

mixed. Kedron, Pink Charm... not sure about other two though.

Thumbnail by GeorgiaJo
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

Pink Charm.

Thumbnail by GeorgiaJo
Los Altos, CA(Zone 9a)

Great photos everyone and some new varieties that I haven't seen before.

I love this site. It is like you are extending the daffodil season for me. Thanks.

Chris

somewhere, PA

ClayPa - it sounds like avalanche as in an avalanche of bloom! Pls post
when you get a full stemfull. I may have to put that one on my shopping list.

GeorgiaJo - Kedron & that bouquet are lovely, as is pink charm!

I assisted this one in opening. I believe it is Suzy.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Again, not sure but I think these are Ice Follies

Thumbnail by Tammy

Lovely all of them! Tammy, that last pic is very frilly and pretty!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a few daffs!! Yay!! Not so many as years past, but very bright and cheery thus far!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

And a few 'ice follies' and ordinaries in our little bird bath garden in front...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Dallas, GA(Zone 7b)

oh, these are all so beautiful. How can anyone resist daffs?

somewhere, PA

They just make me happy to see them. Someone planted daffodils
along a small road I drive along to & from work everyday. The property
looks like its public, maybe city park or something. I love it.

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

a couple of new ones today. i think this is Pink Pride.

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

not sure what this one is, the cup is pale yellow.

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow Tabasco, welcome to the fray! Congrats on your beautiful blooms.

Nice Ice Follies, Tammy - I don't remember the cups of mine being so yellow - yours are very bright.

somewhere, PA

Steve - I am not sure about those being Ice Follies. I've bought a few
mixed daff's and am just guessing. But they are pretty no matter what
they are. :-)

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

ok, guys, this is probably going to sound like an extremely stupid question, but here it goes. this is my first year with daffs, so i was suprised when my thalias started to bloom and they are all facing one direction, the wrong one! they get moring sun on what would be to the rear of where they are facing, get afternoon sun the direction they are facing. any suggestions. in general, do daffs just kinda face whichever direction, or is there some reason they bloom as they do? i told you it was a silly question! lol

tracie

here they are, all facing the right side of the bed.

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Daff's usually always face to the south or the southwest or follow the sun (direct quote "Daffodils in Florida:A Field Guide to the Coastal South--page 104--Linda and Sara Van Beck).
Debbie

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

they are kinda facing SW. i havent noticed a change in direction in the morning, but they are defineately are facing more toward the evening sun. thanks for the info, i will keep an eye on them and see what they do.

tracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.