Daffodils: Part 2!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Tabasco, I moved a mess in full bloom two years ago and they didn't do a lot last year, but this year they are putting on a nice show. I would say it is not a problem as I also have planted potted ones while still in bloom, after using them in the bookstore window for a few days then popped them back in the ground while still blooming and they didn't miss a beat. I did plant them in a slightly shaded spot to give them a better chance. Best of luck with them. I just returned from a trip to New Orleans and will start posting my beauties tomorrow. I have some lovely new ones for me this year. Here is Lorikeet. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, bbrookrd, for the encouragement on my daff transplants. They look like they are happy now, so I am hopeful.

Your lorikeet is very unusual looking...it must be a rare one.

How was New Orleans. Did you see some pretty hidden gardens and lots of azaleas? I suppose it's way too late for daffs there now...?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

No narcissus in New Orleans, but some lovely specimen trees. I didn't get to do gardens while I was there, next time for sure. Our son is working there, so we will visit again in the fall. Mostly eating and music this trip.

My garden is exploding with new narcissus for me this year. Lorikeet, I bought it in the fall sale from Van Engelan for 5 for 7.50. Here is another new one for me that I love, called 'Precocious' which I also bought on sale from Brent and Becky last fall 5 for 6.00. It fits its name. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is 'Petit Four' 5 for 2.85 from Blooming Bulb. I bought this one as my son is a chef and I am glad I did. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

another nice one, 'Romy' bought from Brent and Becky, not on sale, 5 for 15.00

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

This one is over the top, but it is on the droopy side so I may need to move it. 'Extravaganza' from Brent and Becky 5 for 10.00 not on sale. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

last one for now, but very special, I think. Narcissus 'Dottie’s Dream' from Van Engelen 10 for 10.00 sale

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Patti, we're birds of a feather! We picked up some of same varieties bargain shopping, and you got others I really wanted too, lol. I'm so bummed that I didn't get a pic of Lorikeet- the cups colored up to the loveliest soft salmon. My Precocious still look beautiful, I love those that last and last. Love the greenish cast to Dottie's Dream, and Romey is to die for!

Did any of your Extravaganza have 2 blooms per stem? They look very like some in my VanEngelen mix that are also drooping. Fantastic bloom, though!

Beautiful daffs! So unusual and elegant!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I loved those sales around T-Day, but succumbed and I ordered some new ones for me today from Buggy Crazy. That 'Extravaganza' had no doubles. I will post a better picture later of it ( I am on the wrong computer) as well as some others that I took yesterday.

It is cold and damp here today, but I did spend some time outside today trying to Id a few that I never labeled or worse that I made a label for but forgot to mark the plant. I supposedly have a 'Slim Whitman' in a bed, but it is not there, but something else that is definitely not 'Slim" but who knows what it is.....grrrrrrrrr.

Here are a few that I have ordered already for next year. And I do have a couple more small orders in the works too. And Van E hasn't posted their selection for this fall yet. I do love the daffs. Patti

Felindre
Cheerfulness
Barri Conspicuus
Amour
Fragrant Breeze
Marinette(ADDING MORE)
Quail
Rainbow
Red Devon
Seagull
Sir Winston Churchill
Spellbinder
Tripartite
Twin Sisters, N. x medioluteus
Mint Julep

from coop
Passionale .48 = 4.80
Tazetta - Golden Dawn .27 = 5.40
Delnashaugh .41 = 2.05

bb--which one is your favorite? They are all so unusual...

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I swear they change everyday. Here are a few new favorites

Mary Copeland, Ice King, White Lion, Irene Copeland. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Better picture of 'Extravaganza' It is very droopy but lovely in a vase. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here are a few more that I am partial too at this very second. Patti

Pistachio, Goose Green, Sweet Love, Ara

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Oh, bb, I would love to have a tour of your daff garden sometime! You have a wonderful collection!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Tabasco, I consider that a great compliment from you.

This is an old favorite, but I don't know what it is. Any thoughts? I bought it perhaps 12 to 18 years ago, no sooner. It was the first pinkish one I had ever seen at the time. I have asked before, but still haven't got the right id, at least I don't think so. I will take a better picture of it if the weather clears. Thanks, Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

You've probably heard this one before, but what about 'Accent' or possibly 'Interlude'? http://www.daffseek.org/query-detail.php?value1=Accent&lastpage=1

Both old 'pinks' from Mitsch but 'Interlude' doesn't have a photo to compare with yours...

Do you remember where you bought it? Maybe from Mitsch?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Tabasco, I didn't buy them from Mitsch, more likely from WFF who I think was being supplied by Brent and Becky, but I am not sure of the time line or from some other mail order cat of dubious reputation. I saw them in a cat and ordered them and remember thinking that 'pink' was a stretch. But I love them now. I keep ordering ones to compare to see if I can match it. I have to take a better picture. I have been looking at daffseek too. 'accent' is close or possible. thanks, Patti

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

ok guys, i just found this lone daff mixed in with other plants in my garden. it looks really odd to me, maybe someone out there has an id or some idea as to what it is.

tracie

Thumbnail by aggiegrl
somewhere, PA

It looks like its sticking out its tongue! Tracie - I have no idea but its interesting.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, Tracie! Thats a real oddity to me! Very cool!

(Zone 5a)

Wow gorgeous daffs everyone!

Patti - you have an amazing collection - so many I've never seen or even heard of :-) All very pretty. I especially like 'Precocious', 'Lorikeet' and 'Pistachio' ... and 'Romy' is pretty as well. Heck they're all gorgeous :-) lol

Lorraine - I plant mine in clumps in my mixed borders wherever I can find a bare spot. Some of them do ok in a partly shady position since the trees haven't leafed out when they bloom - some need to be on the sunny side of life though - at least here. This is a photo of my white and pink garden. The daffs haven't opened there yet but you can see the green clumps scattered around ;-) I personally lean towards a natural look and don't plant anything in rows.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

The daffs are starting to bloom now. The yellow ones seem a bit "ordinary" with all these fancy new varieties. Here's the only yellow one I know the name of - 'Dutch Master'

This message was edited May 7, 2008 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.