Heidi Chronicles: Nursery Rhymes

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Boy, that must have been a nerve-wracking experience, watching "your" two boys going at it outside the door, and being unable to intervene. The pool story is truly hysterical; still chuckling as I think of it. Sadly, the emergency bath is an excellent idea for Widget; remember how nasty that raccoon roundworm is. Even though the coons don't poop in the pool, there could be a bit of fecal contamination on their fur that then gets in the water.

This might not work, and would be really hard to explain to visitors, but you could try getting one of the high-powered water guns kids play with, and keeping it by the patio door. They usually make really loud obnoxious sounds, and this, combined with the water blast, might deter Dennis from approaching the door - and of course it wouldn't hurt him. Might not work, and of course the image of you defending hearth and home with a kids' water gun is pretty funny...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth, KyWoods,

Even though I was running late and didn't have time, I did wash Widget thoroughly. Thanks to both of you for pointing out the need for this. After KyWoods brought this to my attention, the mere idea that Widget would be in my bed prompted me to take care of it. I did think about that parasite issue, too, again with concern for the fact that Widget and I share sleeping quarters.

Ruth, the water blaster sounds like a great idea not only for keeping Dennis out of the house but also for settling the next dispute. Actually I already have one around here somewhere, garage I think.

Well, I'm off to work. Somebody put the coffee on, fast!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes -- Cheryl... i too have tears in my eyes. That was absolutely hysterical!!
I recall other instances where two raccoons were running, side by side and one gave a big shove. It just must be something they do, and poor lil Widget just happened to be next to the pool at the time... or that was Dennis' intent all a long. Put the lil guy in his place [so to speak] and show'em who's the real boss.

OH heavens... where was the video camera?!!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That had to have been a sight for sure! lol

My concern would be that with Dennis is getting so brazen, that this could escalate out of control if Dennis were to really decide he needs to challenge Widget! Sort of an 'alpha' situation.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>as though he thought 'Widget, come!' was my way of summoning him to dinner

Maybe Dennis thinks his name is Wigdet!!

and i think .. with how intelligent the raccoons really are ... I think Dennis sees Widget for what he is. Small ball of fluff , who's bark is worse than his bite. I don't think Dennis sees him as a threat at all.

Dennis is still a "kid" in his own way.... maybe next year, when he's matured even more things may be different - but I think in his own way, he's playing with poor lil Widget -- who just wants to protect his mom and "space".

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Cheryl, it's a really good thing I had already gone to the bathroom before I started reading this post!! I'm spitting coffee on the keyboard laughing so hard. I cut and pasted that section for DH. He'll enjoy it. The dogs are up checking on me, from my hysterical laughing. What a total hoot! Thank goodness poor Widget is ok, poor baby. He no doubt "thinks" he's at least a Rottie or a Dane and now he gets no respect from these "coons". LOL

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh my - I'm reading this at work and now everybody thinks I've lost it (sitting here laughing hysterically out loud at the race and pool incident). Poor Widget and his hurt pride. I'm really glad that nobody got hurt in either meeting. Maybe Widget's "swim" will make him stay away from the raccoons now.

That Dennis is certainly a stinker. I hope he's not too determined to get into your house. Where there's a will, there's a way. The water gun sounds like a great idea.

Thanks so much for the great start to the day!

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

We had storms storms storms again last night, so I am just now getting caught up.

I too was laughing so hard my DH had to come in and see if I was OK. Tears also...your stories absolutely make my day.

Poor Widget, you described that so well, I can 'see' his face.

Susan
=^..^=

Lyndonville, NY

Well Cheryl, after I finally calmed down last night, I went upstairs and got into bed. And dang if I didn't get the giggles ...again. DH woke up and asked if I was OK, and I just said the coon knocked the dog in the pool...and was trying to explain...and just kept laughing.

His reply...go to sleep woman! ROFL

I am glad I am not the only one who can just imagine this, and tiny little Widget sitting in the pool drenched...with Cheryl there with her mouth open with a "what the *&^%^" look on her face!

Oh here I go again.

Debbie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>and I just said the coon knocked the dog in the pool

LOL Debbie... that is just so funny!!
I mean ... would anyone even imagine that coming out of anyone's mouth... then actually having to explain it.

I bet Dennis was just beside himself, laughing inside as to not toss salt on the wounded Widget's pride.

Wonderful reading! What a story I am sure no one would believe if they weren't following the adventures of Cheryl and her "family"as we all are. I can't get the mental picture of poor little Widget standing in the pool with the stunned look on his face out of my mind. I surely would have panicked had I been there. Kudos to you Cheryl for keeping your cool through it all.........or did you? I also was laughing through the tears while reading the latest going ons. You have an absolutely wonderful story telling talent that has given all of us the gift of mental sight,just as if we were there with you.

Judy

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I agree--can't wait to tell my sister about this, as she has a little maltese dog who is a "big" bully!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Everyone!!! : D

I cannot tell you how very much I look forward to your wonderful comments (which I read morning, evening and at various intervals during the day when I just have to take a mental break) and how much I enjoyed readying these. I'm not doing to respond directly tonight though, only because it's been a 9.5hr day of extremely taxing mental activity, and I must get to bed in a few minutes in preparation for yet another early/long day.

Incidentally, I often find your responses quite descriptive as well. In fact, Debbie, I felt as though I were there like a fly on the wall as you lay in bed in the dark and burst out laughing. I could see and hear your annoyed spouse as he turned to question the outburst. And when you answered with "the raccoon knocked the dog into the pool" one can only imagine that he had no idea how to respond to that statement. LOL.

At any rate, while I truly enjoyed all of your wonderful responses, I'm going to wait until later (hopefully tomorrow) to reply. Tonight I'll just leave you with a brief comment and a few pics.

Tonight when I walked out to feed the raccoons, I heard a very distinct movement in the shrub outside my bedroom window. In the near total darkness there in the shadow of the house, I could see nothing, yet somehow I sensed it was Dennis who made the sound. Testing my theory, I called out to him, and just like that he stepped out into the light, and followed me to the feeding area. (Only moments earlier I had been in my bedroom. Was the hungry Dennis waiting outside the bedroom window because he knew that's where I was?)

When I reached the 1st dish, Dennis stood at my feet. Briefly, he reached out with one hand to touch my ankle. Then started eating even as I was still pouring the food. Heidi arrived almost immediately after I sat down. HRH was not there. The past few nights I've not seen them both at the buffet at the same time. Juliet/Blondie (still trying to unravel this mystery, so can't commit to a name for now) arrived within minutes. As she drew near Heidi launched a fairly aggressive assault (or noisy mock assault) on her, briefly, before permitting her to eat from the dish only about 2 feet away. Since Heidi didn't chase her out of the area but merely snarled a bit and slapped her around, I suspect that Heidi is trying to lay the ground rules early before their 2 sets of kits are in competition for resources. Heidi will allow Juliet/Blondie and her kits to stay so long as there is a firm understanding that it is Heidi who controls the resources here.

As I knew that I need to turn in early and still had much to do, I didn't stay more than 5-10min.

Below is a pic of Dennis eating at my feet (as you can tell from the downward angle of the photo). In case you haven't noticed, he has a most peculiar stance.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dennis again, still eating at my feet

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As I've mentioned, Dennis likes to play while he eats. Here he is searching in my [raccoon food] "canister" for the handful of kibble I put there just for this purpose.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dennis again. That's my leg/foot (w/ blue crock). Since he has his head buried in the box I think you can see how comfortable he is around me.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Again.

Lyndonville, NY

I swear he looks like a loveable teddy bear!

I am going to bed and have "Dennis" dreams....I hope DH is already sleeping! LOL

Cheryl, your imagination pegged it right on....although DH just laughs at me usually. He calls me his oldest child.

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yep, that's right. Dennis.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Debbie,

Dennis really is a sweetie - most of the time. He can be a menace occasionally, too.

Sweet dreams. I'm on my way out any minute, too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dennis #5639.5

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, KyWood, I meant to tell you the recent pic of a raccoon eating a pb sandwich was HRH not Dennis. That same night I gave Dennis his 1st pb finger sandwich - he wanted sweets. Here is what he did to his sandwich. Needless to say, since he ate the pb and left the bread, he didn't get anymore sandwiches that night. Little devil. He does the same thing with cupcakes. He leaves the bread behind for the others.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, this is my last photo for tonight. This is pic 1 in a series that is among my favorite as it really shows what Dennis is like. (He's like this non-stop. Janis, I think you can probably relate).

For a change of pace, I had put the canister with a little kibble in it on the chair. Here is Dennis reaching for it. I'll save the other shots in the series for later.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I lied, but this is the really, really last one tonight. Pic 2 in series

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Great photos, Cheryl, and I'm still chuckling over the image of dripping-wet Widget in the pool, wondering what happened. Glad to hear you got the bath done.

Lyndonville, NY

In my mind with that picture of Dennis I hear this coming out of his mouth "Mine mine...let me have it NOW, gimmeeee pleaseeeee" Perhaps the voice of a two year old toddler....wanting that cookie, just out of reach.

I hope you had a good nights rest.

Debbie

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

You just have to love that little guy!! Those pics show his personality very well!

I saw a small oppossum this morning right before light. I usually have my camera with me when I go out out, but not today darn it!

I just love the pictures, they tell a story in themselves!
My neighbor was going to throw out a whole Lasagna casseroe they didn't like so I coaxed her into giving it to me to put out for the opossoms,raccoons and whatever critters are back there. My husband is a big eater so we rarely have leftovers! Needless to say this morning there is no sign that huge dinner had ever been there....LOL. I have been buying big bags of cheap cat food from the dollar store,but I think I spoiled them with the meow mix I had gotten before as its never completely gone until the Starlings and Bluejays find it after daybreak. Its a good thing I don't have kids to put through college!
I am hoping to see my box turtle again soon,must get some melons out there to coax him out of hiding!

I left a watermelon slice outside a couple nights ago, and somebody made a meal out of it. I wish we had a critter camera so we can see who eats what--coons, possums, squirrels, deer...
I love pics of the coons with their heads poked into food containers! LOL about Dennis eating the sweet parts of his treats and leaving the bread or cake behind--just like a kid!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yes --- KY and the responsible ones.... HRH and Heidi are the healthy eaters.

I love the image of HRH running off with his PB on whole wheat, looking like a lil kid who just stole something.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl -- I know you've been here today.... where's the Coon updates???

weather is cold crappy rainy miserable, and i need a Dennis fix.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Scutler... I know Dennis and the others are all wild animals and we have to respect that at all times, but I really have to admire your ability to keep treatign them that way and not overstepping the bounds of the human vs wild animlas issues and lettign things progress so slowly.

I am afrai if I was in your position I would probably end up a clawed mess cuz I doubt I would be able to hold back. I think if I saw dennis in person I would just want to grab a hold of him and his giant fur ball of a coat and hug the daylights out of him.

There was somethign that crossed my mind and not sure if you coudl do it or not. You more or less have your own private research station going on there. Your seeign behaviors tht other folks can only dream at or speculate.

Wondered if ya had a tiny tape recorder that you you could protect somehow from them thinking it a toy and running off with it or takign it for a dip in the pool that since you have all this other documentaion of behaior maybe you could add the live soudn to it too.

Where you would have actual recording of aggressive behaivor, playtime and danger and such. Just somethign that crossed my mind.

Now the day you actually start talking in "coon" I gonan worry about you. Then we definately gonna have to call ya the Coon Wisperer" ^_^

Oh and with dennis eatign the good part and leavign the rest, well at least he isn't tryign to hide it under his plate like we did as kids when he had something not so yummy. LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>, well at least he isn't tryign to hide it under his plate like we did as kids when he had something not so yummy. LOL

ROFL -- or feed it to the dog!! Widget!! now wouldn't that be a sight.

Lyndonville, NY

OH GOSH, reminds me of having to eat smushy peas when I was little! Ohhhh to gag them down. Thank heavens they rolled on the floor for the dog. Doxies eat anything! LOL

I imagine they are going to be handing Cheryl a list pretty soon for when she goes shopping.

I do have to tell you I finally broke down, got brave and ate one of those "barnyard buddies" marshmallow things. Well, they weren't good and I wouldn't feed them to the coons! LOL Even the kids said "ewwww" when they took a bit...so that right there says something. LOL Stickin to the peeps.

Debbie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Debbie -- i had a Westie and he ate everything too. I too could never choke down peas, smashed or not.

>>I imagine they are going to be handing Cheryl a list pretty soon for when she goes shopping.

LOL -- and knocking on the back patio doors telling her to hurry it up.

Lyndonville, NY

Well, with Dennis hanging outside her bedroom window....I imagine a few rocks to be thrown when she sleeps thru dinner or something. They are getting so demanding. Do you think she should just add a table and chairs to the dining area?

LOL
Debbie

Yes, and a menu!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wonder if Dennis thinks he her special buddy too like Widget and is tired of sleeping in trees and on weeds and pine needles and now thinks he deserves a compfy place on the bed. Wonder if he a pillow stealer?

Maybe he figures it is time he moves up in the neighborhood. LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, 'guys', LOVED all of your comments and conversation. What a wonderful treat for me this morning! Sorry about not posting. You probably wouldn't believe how incredibly busy I've been if i told you. Yesterday, I did take a minute to write a quick note, but then when I reached for the spellcheck button up top, I hit the refresh in stead (Argggh) and blew the whole thing away. Just didn't have the time to do it all over again.

Friday I went shopping directly after work. I was hungry so naturally I bought way too much food - couldn't get it all in the [empty] car trunk. Filled the front seat, too. Mostly fresh fruits and veggies plus yogurt and a lot of frozen dinners (u must try the Stouffer's Butternut Squash Ravioli.It's to die for) - oh and a ton of the 2 for 1 Classico pasta sauce and the 2 for 1 soup. So after I dragged all of that stuff into the house I had to clean out the fridge and the freezer to make room. Didn't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning by which time I ached all over. I literally took every thing out of the freezer (and learned that my freezer isn't really small just full), and sorted into piles (wildlife donation, cook now, return to freezer).

Unfortunately, with the fridge and freezer loaded to the gills, I couldn't keep the wildlife donations and dole them out slowly, had to just take the whole mess out there and dump it. I put 3 sirloin and ribeye steaks (each slightly larger than a saucer) out there along with 2 tenderloin steaks (fillet Mignon) and 7 whole but headed and dressed fish. To keep Widget out of the mess I put it all in the wire compost bin right on top of the compost. I knew the raccoons and opossums would have no problem getting to it and would surely help themselves. The food, BTW, was slightly freezer burned around the edges so I didn't want it. I must work harder at kitchen organization. Am bad about buying things, then buying more because I forget what's in there, then eating out cause I'm too busy or tired or lazy to cook.

Anyhow, I didn't actually put the food out until Saturday afternoon. It was all frozen like a rock on Friday night so I kept it all in a large Styrofoam shipping box which allowed it to slowly unthaw just in time for Sat. Well, somebody ate pretty well last night. As i know that the raccoons don't like that much meat, I was hoping the opossums would smell the dinner bell and come help out. Oh, forgot to mention that I topped all that off with a whole deli chicken from the fridge (forgot to eat in timely manner), a 4cup freezer container full of sliced turkey breast (from freezer), a large serving of french fries, a container of expired sour cream, a container of expired Ricotta cheese, and the remains of a box of Hunan Beef (from fridge) - and probably some other stuff I don't recall right now. I also put out about 1/2 the normal cat food in case anyone (like Heidi) just couldn't eat the other stuff. I figured even if everybody waddled away looking temporarily pregnant they couldn't possibly eat that entire feast. I was right. This morning I awoke to find 3 partially eaten fish - and nothing else!

I have to get out there and mow the law before it gets to hot. When I return I have to work on my app (job that pays for all of this). I have a memory leak. Yes, memory is pouring out the side. ;-)
Will try to find a break somewhere during the day to tell you about Friday night (raccoons) and to post a pic or 2. Still have tons of pics from the last few shootings and more from Friday.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW -- they certainly ate well!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.