ornamental grass plugs?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

I can't afford to buy as many plants as I would prefer for my yard. Has anyone every purchased plugs from somewhere? I looked around a bit on the internet. I could only find places that sell to nurseries or wholesalers. Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I was thinking of starting seeds for that same reason... Pase has a great selection.

http://www.paseseeds.com/servlet/the-Ornamental-Grass/Categories

You would probably need to stick with the species since hybrid offspring would vary.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

Pluto,

I have seeds that I am starting. I wonder if I can start another round here in the next few weeks? I just don't have the space to have more than 6 flats started under lights. And that doesn't include what I wintersowed! Thanks for the link I will check it out! I have started little bluestem, blue fescue, and prairie dropseed. These all work well with the baggie/papertowel method.

I bought seeds from Diane's Seeds: http://www.dianeseeds.com/seeds/perennial.html

This message was edited Apr 1, 2008 6:07 PM

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I have the little bluestem. I think it is my favorite grass. There are MANY I still want to try too.

Keep us posted on how they turn out. I haven't tried too sow the grasses yet.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately for me, all of the grass that I really want tend to be hybrids. Do you think my university would even notice if I came at 3am with a shovel and took some? They have so much and I have paid for two degrees. I deserve that grass!!!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

A lot of the ones I want are hybrids but a lot of the species are cool too- especially when you search for the ones that are not so commonly grown.

I wouldn't go sneekin around your workplace at night... I'm sure they have cameras there! lol Ask them very politely and I'm sure they would be flattered to offer you a generous chunk!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Especially if you accompany your request with a nice fat donation! LOL I've discovered with both of my alma maters that the many thousands of dollars you spent on tuition there don't count for anything, they still want more!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

It's terrible isn't it? I am finishing up my second year of grad school and both my husband and I received calls to donate money. I said not too nicely, " I am in grad school, I have two kids, we are renovating a house, and we are living on one income. Donating $50 is like not paying for lunches or groceries." They got off the phone very quickly!

Maybe I will stop one of the grounds people and ask them. They always seem so busy. I would hate to annoy them.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hi. i have a few grasses that i could trade for.

mex. feather grass, carex- cappacino and just divided and planted up a reed type grass (dont know what it was, was growing in a pot with something else on the deck, got 50 starts!) but is evergreen and really tough. have these in 4" pots. let me know!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

Shokami2,
That would be fabulous. Unfortunately I am a beginning gardener and have little to trade. I do have a lot of seeds that I received from fellow DG'ers. I will dmail you and maybe we can figure something out.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

that would be great cab............ awating :)

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I can gladly trade or give for postage divisions of some if not most of my decorative grasses. If I only knew the names. I know my neighbor has a dwarf pampas grass she hates, but dwarf is still 8 feet tall.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 5a)

You got it analogdog! I love DG! As I had told shokami2, I am a newbie as far as gardening goes and only have seeds to trade that I have received from others. Of course I am also willing to pay postage for free plants! D-mail me.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2008 8:18 PM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Pluto, that is a terrific ornamental grass seed collection Paseseeds has. Now if I could just find one of you to tell me how to plant them. I ordered around 10 different ones. I don't know if you plant a lot of seeds in a 1" seed pot? Or?

Thanks, now I will have to try dianeseeds.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.