Whats blooming outside your door

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

cost of living is why I left SF - and that was over 30 years ago.
I can only imagine what it is these days. But I really liked 40° as the lowest low!
Also in Cupertino/Los Gatos/Santa Cruz mtns.
Fun places back then, but I'm sure it has grown up & changed...

Glad you're up here & enjoying it.
After the last 2 winters and the absent summer of 2007, it could be discouraging.
Hope you hang out lots with us here!
K

This message was edited Apr 1, 2008 8:06 PM

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pictures and your garden look good. Nothing is blooming since the crocus and snowbells are done. But they are growing. We are two or three weeks behind up here.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

shokami2,
I am not a Rhodie person but I love that Night Editor Rhodie.

Pixy,
I am the 3rd person who needs to know the one you do not have a tag for...lol wouldn't you know everyone loves that one!

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Tills,
Great Hellebore, very neat color!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

thanks cocoa.......... i really like it. plus its an early bloomer so i get alot of color along with the dwarfs that bloom early too. :)

My brain works in mysterious ways. I was minding my own business, doing nothing in particular, when the name of that little plant was inserted into my brain:
Soldanella alpina rotundifolia

so there you go!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2008 9:17 PM

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

skokami2,
I wouldn't say lavender is a favorite color either but something about that plant, I may have to go find me one. I think it is the leaves, how tall does that one get.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Pixy, is it a hard one to find?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's another picture of that Soldanella. I took this at the Berry Botanic garden last Monday before the weather got icky.

Thumbnail by susybell
Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sue,
I think you showing me that great picture is a conspiracy... lol super photography.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Lol, Carla, Thanks, but most of my pic's don't turn out that well. In fact, here's a slightly blurry miniature primula...

Thumbnail by susybell
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

But I did like this picture-both of these were also from the Berry Botanic Garden

Thumbnail by susybell

Great shots, Sue. That does look like an awesome place to visit.
I do not think that the plant is particularly hard to find.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks!
I guess I'd better post something from near my door, after all, that is the title of the thread. This is a tulip that I'd about given up on and then it goes and surprises me this year with this bloom.

Thumbnail by susybell
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

And look the bloom of the day for March 23, 2008. Soldanella pusilla:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/826322/

It IS a conspiracy. I think we all must find it.

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

Susy ~ What a BEAUTY! What a great way to start my day ~ with color smacking me in the face! Love it!

Love those little snowbells. I can just see the faeries at the faerie party having a little too much to drink and wearing them on their heads, dancing around!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

cocoa...........
the night editor gets about 4-6 ft. and the combo of skinny dark green leaves and the intense flower color is what really attracted me too. it also has an airy feeling to it. not really densely foliated (is that a word?) lol anywho its a really nice rhodie that you will enjoy. but go look now because they are blooming and will go fast!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I got to have it. Number one on list.

MHF. My DH pick it out at Home Depot last spring. called 'Royal Heritage' that was all the tag said

Such wonderful pics all, cant wait for more, both pics and blooms LOL

Pix, this one is very happy in the GH, at first I thought I was going to lose it but then it popped right up and gave me a present.

Pix, Whats its name?

This message was edited Apr 2, 2008 6:57 PM

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

And another that you gave me, notice that he is in a pot.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Sheri - I might wear one too after imbibing...

I wonder if the Soldenella pulsila is different than alpina. I'll have to look it up.
Tills, the first one is Primula 'mahogany sunrise'. The second one is Petasites 'golden palms', which is actually native to this area. It gets very big leaves and spreads really, really, really ,really nicely. Keep it contained or you might be sorry. ON the other hand, it would be great at the edge of your woodland. It needs lots of water, so if you keep it on the dry side, it may stay more in control for you.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thats why its in a pot, Can't believe it flowered in the GH.

Well...okay. I finally have something to post here! I am SO happy! I have to admit that the first two are not outside my own personal door, but outside the door at workwork. But it's beautiful anyway so there ya have it!

Ribes sanguineum

Thumbnail by outtamygourd

And the beautiful whatchamacallit just waking up ~

And then, a before and after. I planted two dicentra (spectabilis, I think...again, didn't keep the tags ~ duh!). Anyway... was watching and watching and then noticed on 02/29 ~ and was thrilled.

Little did I know that one month later. . .

And the Corydalis "Blue Panda" from Pixy (thanks!) Notice the tiny little blue flower in the top right?

And the Primula "Mahogany Sunrise," also from Pixy.

Epimedium from Poochella

Hyacinth "blahbadeblah" which I first stuck in the ground in February...lookit her go! I'm surprised they even came up this year!

And her counterpart on the other end of the bulb bed. Gee...which end gets more sun? Contrast is kinda off. The flowers are purplish pink...

So I am excited. The bulb bed before (13 January) ~ just when the few from last year began to spring up and I decided that the bed should be done.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2008 10:50 AM

And 5 minutes ago

Ooooh...I forgot my Calluna vulgaris "Firefly"

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Very nice-that firefly-wow!
Whatchamacallit Kinnikinnick looks nice and healthy :)

Ooh, and look at all those pots! NOW her garden looks like it's supposed to..... ;)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I was wondering if that was kinnikinnick - it's pretty full and lush and actually looks almost like a shrub.

Yes, the key is to situate your pots so that you can get good photos of the designed beds without seeing them.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Or the lines on the ground from where the pots you just hid usually sit?? ;)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

(chuckling here). Yeah, it's so hard to hide our vices. Something always seems to give us away, doesn't it?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Maybe that's what's great about this group-we have compatible vices???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.