Euphorbias

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

This is a very large genus of succulents with many different forms. Some of the most interesting are the medusiforms, with a central core surrounded by a lot of snakelike branches. Others look incredibly like various true cacti. My favorites are the Madagascan species, of which crown-of-thorns is an example. Some of the Madagascans, like E. decaryi and E. capsaintmariensis, are bonsai-like in their natural growth form.

Valley Village, CA

I have E. obessa seeds available. Would you like some of these? Craulady

Valley Village, CA

Are all Euphorbia toxic, leaves, seeds, sap? Crasulady

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

It's my understanding that some leaves are not toxic, but I would never, ever test that statement. Instead I wash my hands thoroughly and immediately each time I handle any euphorbia.

Thousand Oaks, CA

Different people have different sensitivities to the saps... I don't react too much, but my friend breaks out in massive hives when he gets the sap on him... we've moved a bunch of very large 'Pencil Cacti' that ooze from everywhere with the slightest touch... and then Chris is itching for days with a burning rash and bumps all over... I got some in my eye and that did burn- youch! Plumeria sap is almost as bad, though... be carefully when trimming Plumeria branches above your head (wear glasses).

Despite all the toxicity, it amazes me there are still insects that will happily munch away on these plants... guess there's always something out there that will eat something else.

Valley Village, CA

I have seen a dog eat Euphorbia, his mouth swelled up three times the size it should be. What can be done when this happens. I have heard that milk would help? I have also heard that the sap of the Aeonium lindley would also be an antidote. Any suggestiions? I have heard to use oil, that water would not wash of the latex? Are these old wives tales? Crasulady

I have heard the same two remedies. The aeonium lindleyi juice has been mentioned for years. I only heard that milk would work equally well in the last few years. Since milk is more readily available than the aeonium (this species always freezes for me--it must be one of the most temder aeoniums) that would be the first thing I would try. I didn't know about the plumeria toxicity--thanks Bob. Fortunately or unfortunately we don't have plumerias much up here in the Bay Area. They generally don't survive winters so must be big indoor/outdoor plants.

I think I heard about milk as a treatment from a post by David Tufenkian, who is also an emergency room physician. Not sure of that citation though.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I've heard that all plants with milky sap is poisonus, seems like this may be true thinking odf so many that we know of like Poinsettia, etc.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

I am not sure that all milky sap is poisonous... how about dandelions? or rubber? In many cases, such as with those two plants, probably the sap is designed to clog up insect mouthparts or just be unpalatable. But there is no question that euphorbia sap can be very toxic.

Valley Village, CA

Any thing from the Orleander family is also toxic. Poinseattia are not poisonus, which really surprised me. Crasulady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.