Semi-Hydroponics

Danville, IN

I read in the Orchids Forum about something called "semi-hydroponics" which uses special clay pellets and pots with holes on the SIDE about 1" from the bottom. It's referenced to a fascinating website called firstrays.com . I was wondering if anyone has tried this system with other houseplants. If there has already been a discussion about this, could someone please refer me to it? In the near future, I will be potting up quite a few houseplants and tropicals for a new sunroom. This looks like a very good way to have flourishing plants. Opinions please!

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

well i am and will be experimenting more with a similiar method, or semi-hydroponic.
I have planted some seeds in clay pots and sit it in a large tote with water. they seem to be doing ok, even though it's probably not as warm as it should be and only get window sun. I have some rose bands coming this fri and they will have to be potted because i'll have to over winter inside. I plan on putting them in the clay pots with potting mix with plenty of perlite and slow-release osmocote. then i will sit them in a larger pot and fill outer pot with water about 3/4 full. the clay pots are porous and allow the water and air to soak through. My only concerns are that the soil might stay too moist and not let enough air to the roots.

Danville, IN

Thanks for the info. Good luck!

I used a system with the clay pellets quite a few years ago. My mother has trouble keeping houseplants because of allergies. When I potted her plants in the clay pellets, she didn't have a problem with them. I don't remember the name of them, but they were available at the hydroponics stores. The plastic liners with holes were to be slipped into any container you wanted (that held water). A fertilizing solution came with the pots and pellets, but we did fine with using Schultz drops after it ran out.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

you might be able to use kitty litter instead of the clay pellets.

No, that is not nearly the same. These are a special clay, baked. They are almost like stones, but somewhat porous.

edited to add, they can be used over and over.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2008 8:25 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I know what you're talking about, and I'm not being picky at all, but this might be something interesting to consider:

All container culture is much closer to hydroponics than it is to gardening in the earth, so container gardening is actually closer to 'semi-hydroponics' than it is to 'gardening'. In fact, I suppose you could say that all container gardening is a form of semi-hydroponics.

Al

Danville, IN

My main interest was to avoid the problems or under- or over-watering, and also cut back on the frequency of watering. Also, to avoid having to repot every few years with fresh potting mix, and all the mess that entails. The way I understand it is that the plants just have to be potted up to a larger size when the roots fill a semi-hydroponic pot, adding more clay pellets. Sounds easy.

North Augusta, ON

You're right, much less watering, sometimes not until 3 weeks are up. Re-potting, well, you can also just trim the roots back where they grow into the bottom of the outer container.
The soil-less system avoids the mess of soil and also gives needed aeration to the roots.
It is easier to start a young plant into soil-less than it is to try to get an older plant used to the new way.

Thumbnail by threegardeners

That's about it. No worries about over or under watering, although if you left them long enough they could get too dry. There is a little floating gauge on the edge of the liner pot that tells you how much water is in the container. Even when the water is used up, the roots take moisture from the pellets. You can take plants that are growing in soil and wash them clean before you plant them in the pellets, but cuttings are a little easier.

Danville, IN

threegardeners and echoes: What type of clay pellets do you use? Have you any experience with different brands or types?

I'm not sure what threegardeners has but they look very similar to what I have, It is 15-20 years since I bought mine, so I have no recollection what brand they were. My liners came seperate and they are round, to put into a decorative container. My little floaty looks different too, but I'm sure they are the same method of use.

Danville, IN

echoes: I guess you're living proof that these clay pellets don't disintegrate! What fertilizer do you use? I know they make special ones, but what is your experience with them or other brands.

I used the nutrient solution that came with the pots for awhile and then just used the Schultz drops. Maybe, a weaker solution. To start with I would use the recommended stuff, to see how it goes. Then if you want to try other ferts, make sure they have micro nutrients included. It was just too much hassle to get to a hydroponics shop for me to get more.

They do last a very long time, but I am not using them now. At that time, I had just a few houseplants....

The picture of this one is like the ones I have.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3545086

This old thread discusses using the pots.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/723258/

Danville, IN

Thanks echoes, for the great info and links. So much great knowledge and experience.

Worcester, MA

I grow some of my orchids in semi-hydrophonics (not hydrophonics - too complicated) and it is quite easy. If you go to First Ray Orchids.com you can read about the technique and also write to Ray. he only growws orchids but tellms me that othere folks use the technique for othere kinds of plants. The roots just have to be very clean. He also sells the pellets and pots (tho you can make your own). it's easy.

Danville, IN

Maureen: So you use the PrimeAgra expanded clay pellets? They seem hard to find, and all sources I have found except for FirstRay sell a brand called Hydroton. Is PrimeAgra better than Hydroton?

Worcester, MA

I like the PrimeAgra so I stick to that. You have to soak them overnight and I put in some KLN and superthrive. The next day (or you can leave them soaking longer) i rinse (they're dusty) and plant. After awhile you'll see some algae at the bottom of the pot. Ray says not to worry about this and it hasen't hurt my orchids any. Semi-hydrophonics is VERY easy. I hate the pots but when something is in bloom I put in a more decorative pot. You can make your own as well.

Danville, IN

Maureen: Is FirstRay the only source for PrimeAgra, or can you get them elsewhere? With shipping so high, I thought it'd be nice to find a local distributer, if there are any.

Worcester, MA

He's the only one that I know of. And yes, shipping costs are ridiculous.Did you Google PrimeAgra and see if you come up with anything?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.