Brug S.O.S

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aloha my friends! I have a question to put to all you Angel lovers...

The cutting I got from Jenny (thank you again, btw) put out a two inch pod, which tried very hard to bloom...got out about half way, then the pod split up the length of it and now the flower - which I was soooooo excited about - has withered without ever opening up. Did I do something terribly wrong? Any idea of why this happened? There are two more small flower pods forming, and I don't want this to keep happening...it breaks my heart!

Yokwe,
Shari

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Shari,
Could it possibly be in a 'sun all' day area and getting too hot?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

The area I have it in gets full sun in the morning through early afternoon...the rest of the day it is in filtered sun/shade. The leaves seem fine, so I gathered that was okay? The plant looks very healthy other than that bizaarre flower. I went and looked again this morning and the flower "pod" is as long as my index finger...is that normal?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Myexperience (sitting in the airport in HNL paying a fortune to kill time!!!) is that brug flowers (lots of plants' flowers, in fact) can sometimes be "special"...color changes, more tendrils (or less)....especially first blooms. Remember...brugs are heavy feeders....and if you have had a lot of water...they may need more food...or more water...

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

So Carol, (Welcome back!!! Almost...) you are saying this first flower was just an aberation? I just fed it a few days ago, and I water every other day, unless it looks wilty...why can one plant make me feel soooooo stupid?!?!?!? Many of my others are just gorgeous, but let one show signs of distress, and I'm all in a dither and panic! Silly me!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome back, welcome back (as in welcome back, cotter). We have missed your sweet voice, Carol. Shari, I have planted out 4 brugs that I planted the seed last year. Just now putting out spring leaves. The weather this morning is scary. Very dark and still. Under lots of warnings for awful storms. Hail is predicted and that can just about do in the entire garden.

Hope your baby brug was just aggravating you.

Christi

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Patience Mama Shari...even the first steps can be hazardess!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh Christi, I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I hate hail, you feel so helpless as you watch plant after plant just get shredded away! Gentle rains instead!!!!

Carol, so was the new grandbaby just as wonderful as you expected??? Of course!!!! Hope the trip was great!

Congratulations nanna Carol how wonderful! God bless the new little one and it's family.
LouC hope the storm is not too fierce ...stay safe.
Shari don't panic! (says she of the panic attacks over baby brugs) After my adventures with crossing and growing out hundreds of baby brugs/cuttings/seeds ... etc let me just say this(and I think the others will back me up on this ...nothing wants to live like these beauties, tenacious ...hardy and sometimes just a little frustrating these babies are tough! ...if one flower did not turn out don't worry ...it will be ok just keep on loving and feeding it ...it will love you back!
chrissy

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH YES...NEW grandson (adopted, from FL. newborn) is just gorgeous...looks like a delicious brown nut!!! The parents are delighted and sleep deprived. How soon we forget!!!

Thanks Chrissy...for your blessings...

Christi...good luck.

Sheri - you have mail.

Carol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Christi, we have also gotten hit with some of those storms. Lots of flooding around here yesterday. Today it's only in certain places. Southern MO and Tenn got over 8 inches of rain yesterday. We got about 2 inches but we are so saturated it might as well have been 10.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay, thanks everyone for the advise...I will be patient...at least I will try.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Remember, shug. Patience is something we are taught, sometimes at great expense. I'm working on it. Last month I planted Kentucky Wonder beans and Snow Peas. Rained that night and washed them all over the garden. Yesterday I planted blackeye peas. They are now washed all over the garden. Seems my penchant for planting seed as though I were feeding the chickens winds up one way or another.

C

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, maybe your seeds will sprout, just now where you want them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

hmmm..mabe that's what's happened to a hybrid of mine. It had a bloom, but it's fallen off. Like Sherry I've been watching it closely. it's in a pot, and had just fertilized it last weekend. It's almost like it doesn't have enough umfff. More fertilzer? I did give all the plants a good spray of Seaweed extract last week and a fungicide...

Hi Nanna Carol! (I love that Chrissy!)
Miss Nana Carol, are you going to be around for a while to receive one clerodendrum sahelangii?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Yeptodoodle!!!! **********smile*************

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Welcome home Carol, and congrats on your new grandbaby!

I hope the other buds are opening okay for you Shari. It's really weird because I have the Momma brug in full sun and she is a dependable, almost constant bloomer, hopefully it's just as Carol says - a one off.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

To illustrate - my Creamsickle should have a peach 'bell' on the inside, white on the outside. Sometimes it is all white, sometimes the inner skirt doesn't drop, sometimes.... but I can chalk it off to cold or lots of rain or too dry...or just, maybe ....? 99% of the time she blooms perfectly!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well, I must have done something terribly wrong, because all the top leaves have fallen off overnight! All of them! There is a stem lower down on the plant that is full and lush, but the top part is just stem now. Hard to type through my tears. I think maybe it is in too small a pot? I was going to cut down the stems a few inches to where some new leaves are showing on the stem...whadayathink? Then repot into something a bit larger. I am devastated.

Christi - your seeds will grow where they will be happiest...sprouting happily, then you can move them to the bed...no problema!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm..sounds like something traumatized it. Usually the only time I've seen the leaves fall is when it got too cold, which we probably can safely rule out for there.

oh..and THANKS for my little package I got in the mail!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

No...twasn't cold...don't know what that is out here. (You're welcome!) So what do you think about the cutting and repotting plans? Got a better idea? what other than cold could have done that?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd probably do that too. I wonder what the Hawaiin Island folks think? I'm wondering since there is no winter, that the plant defoliates periodically. I know some trees in Africa did, but seems to me that as long as it's warm those keep their leaves all the time.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Guess I will wait till I hear from Jenny and Carol... they are the brug experts with this kind of climate...and I did get the cutting from Jenny in the first place.

See me blowing on my conch shell......Aloooooooohhhhhhaaaa the islands!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

hahaha....Toooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhtttt...conjuring Island sprites!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Speaking of Sprites,
I'll be thinking of ya during the Vernal Equinox!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And I you! Have you noticed the moon being excessively bright these last few days? Or maybe it is just out here...but much brighter than usual. Lovely portents, I hope.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes I have, at night it has been nice and bright, matter of fact a couple times it seemed like the moon was near full because of all the light

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Good time for planting, preparing, drawing things close...maybe so bright cause she has something planned??? Hmmmm....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think so

The moon is always huge at Easter, probably why there are so many rituals and rites ...and religious celebrations at this time of the year ...it seems brighter ...larger and closer ...and very beautiful!
chrissy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I am planning a moon dance..that's for sure!

Oh yes moonlight gardening I remember ...moonlight parties are good too ...I will have a cyber Zombie cocktail please ...and stick an umbrella in it! :)
Cheers !

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Easter is determined by the phase of the moon. That is why it is always on a different date. Guess it is time that I found out just why. Been watching a cite about planting by the moon. Had an older neighbor years ago. He was determined that you plant underground producing plants on Good Friday. His garden was beautiful.

For a Christian, this is the Holiest week of all. It is for me.

God and His Son bless you all.

Christi

Easter Friday tomorrow for us and yes I think so too LouC ...we spend the day in quiet reflection and gratitude ...no shops open and it is a public holiday.It is the Earliest Easter ever ,I think and there won't be another this early for over a century, it is all tied up with the equinox and the moon. For us here it is Harvest time while over there it is Spring and new life ...new hope! (hence the eggs).

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here.

Just heard the conch!!!

No clue about why the top leaves fell off. Salt? Mine never fall off, just get eaten off by some critter or another! Yes...I would repot it into something BIGger and see if that helps. Do you grow other brugs there? how does the stem (trunk) look ?

Going to a Hawaiian family wedding on Friday - auspicious day for a wedding, eh? Yes...the moon has been so bright that I wak up and think it's morning....I love to watch the shadows of the plants on the grass in the moonlight!!!!

Randy...by chance to do you have a Rangoon Creeper?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I believe I have one marked for you along with the clerodendrum sahelangii

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH...how cool. You are such a love!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This is my first ever brug! That's why I'm asking the experts...don't know what to expect, nor best ways for care and feeding my lovely...at least I sure hope it's lovely! Stem still looks fine, that's why I thought of cutting down to some small leaves on it...maybe three inches down.

Wonderful wedding planning! ♫It's a wonderful night for a moondance♫ wedding or otherwise...special week for all.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm on vacation next week, so I'll pack them up for ya.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hmmmmjust suspecting that you are really exposed to the salt there. They might be 'fussy'.....

Hey...When does your Continental flight arrive in Kwaj? I want to time my package to you so it doesn't sit in HNL for a week....best time to mail?

Cheeries..... going outside to run nekkid in the moonlight when it stops raining!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.