Anyone have any advise for growing wheatgrass?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Came across a packet of seeds while buying other things in the nursery I had no intention of going home with and added them to the cart. I know it supposed to be really healthy to juice and drink so I figured I'll just grab them too. Anyone have any good methods of growing this and even how to juice it?

Sarasota, FL

Well, it's almost 2 yrs later I just read you post. Here in Florida you can grow it only in the cooler months. I soak the seeds overnight in water with either a piece of dried kelp or a kelp tablet. It makes the grass or sprouts super sweet!
Rinse in the morning.
Press the seeds into a growing flat filled with organic compost or whatever medium you intend to use. Mist several times daily. Once the shoots are perhaps 1/2" + make sure they get plenty of light/morning sun etc.
When the blades are 4" high, grab a bunch with your left hand and cut with scissors far enough from the soil there is no dirt.
I used to use a metal grain mill on its tightest setting. Crank away with a bowl below the output area-comes out resembling spinach.
Press in a fine collender to extract the juice. Place in sunlight for a few minutes; then drink.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

My GDD just bought a Wheat Grass kit and small plastic juicer. She got 3 big bags of Peat /Perlite mixture, 5 growing flats, and 5 bags of seed, they must weigh at least a pound each. The directions with the kit say to plant a whole bag of seed per tray - this seems excessive to me, they would have been an inch thick on the soil. We decided to only use about 1/2 bag per tray and only did 2 trays to start. I had some pretty good potting soil that we mixed with the peat. She soaked the seeds about 9 hrs before planting, then we turned a couple of trays over them to get them started.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sarasota, FL

Yes, too thick wheatberries may mean more likelyhood of them growing mold. It's ok for them to touch each other; after the 1st soaking press them lightly into the soil. Keep moist whether through misting etc.
If you use garden soil, be careful not to use where a cat or dog has gone to the bathroom. Be careful of inhaling perlite dust.
I do recommend using kelp tablet or dried leaf for the soaking water.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

It's been only 4 days now and the blades are almost 2 inches tall and growing fast. I sprinkled some soil on top of them today - it seems the roots were just on top of the soil, I thought this might keep them from drying out. They seem to be doing well. Thanks for your tips tho.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.