crinum

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I just bought a nice big crinum bulb that I saw at russells ( I needed something to grow because my garden is still covered with snow and it feels warm out side : ) has anyone grown them as a house plant?
laura

(Zone 1)

You should give it a try, I think it would make a wonderful house plant! A lot of people grow Amaryllis as indoor house plants and I bet there are some who grow Crinum's too. As long as you give it the proper light and water requirements I think it would do fine.

I found this information: http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=A443

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have one indoors and about 15 outdoors, grows great, loves to be feed, and loves tons of water.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I tried for several years to grow a Crinum Lily and only ONE sent out a bloom. I had them in pots. Tried them outside--inside---finally planted them in beds---all I ever saw were these 4' long leaves and nothing else.

Threw them all away!!!!!! I think in the warmer climates it does a lot better....I am in baltimore--z 7b.

Gita

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Hi Gita
How are you and how are your Amyrlis? Bloomed or not? You Threw all your Crinum and did think I am in warmer climate...........LOL
How is your garden these days?
Kaleem

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Kaleem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where have YOU been hiding????? We have not talked for a long, long time!
My Amaryllis is just starting to bloom. It is very late this year, but I did not start the dormancy/rest period until late. After that, it all depends when I re potted them--when I started watering them, etc.

I am fine. Still working--part time. This year, I really set up a shelf with lights to start seeds. I have so many growing--mostly flowers. From vegetables, I have the Tomatoes, 3 different types of Basils and Parsley, I do not have anywhere in my Garden for a vegetable bed. Then--I just go and buy some fresh from the Farm Stand a couple of miles from my house.

Today i am off work, and it will be very warm outside--so I will be outside in the garden. It is all cleaned up already. Trying to get all my shrubs pruned back. Can't plant anything out yet--have to wait 3 more weeks or so.

Mostly, my Tomato plants need to go outside. I will take them out today for a "field trip".....They have grown to 10" tall (from seed) and I do not have any more room for something this tall under my lights. I am always so impatient this time of year!

Here are my tomatoes. They are now about 2" taller than on this picture.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And here is my seed set-up!

Laurawedge--I apologize for hijacking your Thread! It is just that I have not spoken to Kaleem in about 3 years!

Kaleem--what Thread do you spend your time on? We can D-mail too....
I am mostly on the "Mid Atlantic Forum"--go there--it is a great bunch of people.

Guess what? I am about to get a new neighbor, and he is from Pakistan.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Dear Gita
I am roaming every where in DG........LOL
I HAVE A GOOD NEWS FOR YOU.................Yes...... the Amyrlis you sent me bloomed and color is so pretty. Here is photo.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Kaleem--I had forgotten what i sent you! Yes! it does look pretty....
So far--I only have a pink one in bloom. Need to take a picture for you!

I have so many pots of them! Three years ago, I planted 2 of the bulbs in a flower bed. What did I have to lose? I had about 8 pots. Well-these bulbs have come up every year and also bloomed!

Come visit the Mid Atlantic Forum---we are a very active group. Lots of advice--lots of seed talk--lots of beautiful pictures!
Drop in and say "Hi"!

Gita

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I've grown Crinum indoors, and like Gitagal saw ONE bloom the first year, and that was after it spent the summer outdoors.
The foliage and the bulb got bigger/longer all the time (had to keep potting up and up and up!) but no blooms thereafter.

You can *definitely* get a good start on it indoors with really good light, but I highly recommend you place it outdoors when weather permits.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.