Easiest way to get rid of chlorine

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

What is the easiest way to get chlorine out of tap water for plants? Can I use the same stuff that is used in fish tanks? I know that I can set the water out, but due to my home business I'm unable to do that. Thanks Tina

(Zone 1)

You can buy a de-chlorinator product from an aquarium supply store. I think you just put a certain number of drops of the liquid into the water, depending on the qty of water you want de-chlorinated. My husband has a 150 gal Marine (Salt Water) Aquarium and I just went looking through his enormous amount of supplies but didn't find any de-chlorinator, so I can't tell you a brand name. I know he keeps a huge 5 gal barrel in the garage that he puts water in and lets it sits a few days for the chlorine to dissipate, so maybe he doesn't use the de-chlorinator drops any more. We also have the water purifying system under the kitchen sink that will remove chlorine and other chemicals.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If your water is treated with chlorine, you can also let it sit out overnight and the chlorine will dissipate. However, many cities use chloramine instead and it won't dissipate, for it you'll need the de-chlorinator product. If you call your water department they should be able to tell you what they use.

If you're just doing it as a general precaution to make your water better for your plants then that's great, but if you're actually having problems with your houseplants that are caused by your water, it's much more likely that it's due to hard water/high mineral content rather than chlorine, and getting rid of the chlorine does nothing at all to the minerals in the water.

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

How do I find out if it is chlorine or the cholramine?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Call your water department, they ought to provide you with that information.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

What leads you to believe it's a problem?

Al

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I know that there is something added to the water because I can taste it. I recently bought a miracle fruit plant from Logee's and they are highly susceptible to chlorine.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

If it's only the one plant you have to be concerned about, it might be easier and cheaper to buy a gallon of distilled water at the grocery store.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You could be tasting minerals too, it isn't necessarily chlorine. There are probably about a million things that can cause off-flavor in water. Definitely no harm in getting rid of the chlorine if it's there, but that may not be the cause of what you're tasting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.