Marimu ball

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I just saw a plant on E-bay called a "Marimu ball".
It's supposed to grow in either plain water or fishtanks. It's a type of algae that comes from Lake Akan, Hokkiado, Japan.
Anyone ever heard of this one?

Marsha.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
North Augusta, ON

I found this info. It sounds kinda cool!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marimo

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yup. Heard of it and want some lol. You can pull it apart and it will grow into two balls. Grows a lil slowly though.

(Zone 6a)

wow, that is very neat! I want one :)

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Just got my ball a couple of weeks ago. It was double wrapped in small ziplock baggies, and a bit flattened. I put it into water from my fish tank immediately, and put a female betta in with it. Here's what it looks like now:

I hope it lives; it's a cool little plant!

Marsha.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a pic from the top. Sorry about the quality; I'm no photographer!

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Marsha..That is a really cool and.. definitely different looking. I Love it!! Love the beta fish too..looks really neat in there! I am going to have to order one of those algae balls ; )

This message was edited Apr 7, 2008 6:24 PM

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I have two more coming from ebay to give as gifts. I'll let you know if they get here in good condition.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Awesome. Pretty betta too.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Yes please do Marsha...if your ones coming arrive in good shape than I am definitely going to order a few.I think they would really make unique gifts...They remind of that stuff the kids used to buy when they were still at home..think it was called Slime or something like that.It was green,really cold feeling and they would play with it mushing it through their fingers but it would never stick to anything...kinda gross to look at but eerily neat at the same time : o

(Zone 6a)

Awsome algae ball! I like the beta as well, they look great together!

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Yeah, slime was cool in a disgusting way. As soon as the others arrive, I'll post pictures of the way they were packed, as well as what they look like after unpacking.

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's the photos of the plants I just got from Thailand. I took pics of packaging,
how they were flattened, the "less than candid" customs declaration, and how they look in water right now. I only had one jar, so for now they're both in it.

Marsha.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

The customs declaration.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Flattened in transit, but not damaged.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

Just put in water.

Thumbnail by Machikoneko
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL@ soft toy!

I will probably be begging some babies off you in the future, LOL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.