Source for Crown of Thorns Thai Giant 'Cherry Cobbler"?

Danville, IN

In the White Flower Farms Christmas 2007 catalog they offered a beautiful new variety of crown of thorns, Thai Giant 'Cherry Cobbler'. It has huge flower bract clusters and large, waxy leaves. I can't find them for sale from any other source online, and of course, they are very pricey from White Flower Farm. Has anyone come across a source, or perhaps has one that they can relate their experience growing? I think there are other varieties, but only this cherry-pink flowering variety was shown.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello Hoosier,

Although they are not taking orders for 2008 as of yet, this is the BEST site I have found for Thai Hybrids. Their prices are very reasonable for the starts that they send and they don't "pad" their shipping which is great. Crown of thorns need it to be warmer in order to ship but I know they are adding some new varieties this year :)

Very nice site:

http://www.buried-treasure.net/products.php

Hope this helps,
Kim

Hi Kim,

I gather you have ordered from BT before? Just how big are their starts? Are they rooted? What size pots do they come in? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions. I have been to their site, but I couldn't find any of this information. Plus, It's always best to hear it from a DGers experience.

Thanks, Lacewing1

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Lacewing,

Yes, I have ordered from them before.
Some were mid size about 6-8 inches, some were smaller.
They came bare root.
BUT his prices are the fairest around for these VERY hard to find plants.
Thai hybrids are hard to find and they are an arm and a leg on E-Bay so BT is one of the only places to find them and the GREAT thing of BT is that they don't gouge you on the shipping.

I would recommend (if you like watching a plant grow) them.

Kim

Danville, IN

I did order three Thai hybrid euphorbias from BT, and expect them in late March. They have been very pleasant to deal with so far. The owners even emailed to ask who recommended them on DG, so I told them kimskreations. Maybe she'll get a surprise?

OH GEE WHIZ! Just my luck!

Thank you very much Kim for responding so quickly. Very disappointed here. I doubt very much that I would be able to root them. I agree with everything you've said about BT. I'll have to give this some thought, have to study up on how to root them. Too bad they don't offer you a choice, rooted or unrooted. I would gladly pay twice as much for a rooted 4" pot. Oh well, thanks again.

HoosierGreen, please post later on about the progress of yours. Maybe it will give me some encouragement.

Lacewing1

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Lacewing,

There is a difference between bare root and un-rooted.
Bare root means they DO have roots. It's just they are removed from their soil for shipping.
So, when you get them, they are already rooted.
You just pot them and start watering and the roots will re wet and grow :)
You don't have to root them yourself :)

Kim

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I usually don't order plants bareroot, but the few I have, have done very well, for the most part. So don't balk too much just because they are bareroot.

Oh Kim, thank you-thank you for coming back to correct me. Much happier now. Yes, I do know the difference between bare root and unrooted. DUH! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I was just too tired last night when I read your post. Almost didn't come back to check this thread, so glad I did. For sure, I'll place an order now.

Lacewing

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Your welcome and good luck to you :)

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.