I have mold growing on seeds

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I wouldn't use bleach once the seeds have germinated. The green stuff also is algae not mold, so I don't think it'll really hurt your seeds. And make sure to watch the watering, hopefully no permanent damage done.

North Augusta, SC

Newbie_grower
I am having the same problem with my berry seeds and these. What a challenge for the new gardeners among us, hopefully some that have done this before will give us some much needed pointers. I mean, it's not as though I lack knowledge in the entire germination realm, but these datura are so beautiful and they make us pay, in time, for sprouts. I mean the hollyhocks are ready to skate, the coleus are ready to jump rope and the moonflowers are skipping but these blasted daturas, please!?!?!?!
tap, tap, tapping on the keyboard waiting for some kindly, wise gardener to jump in on this discussion, Hello, help, please. Over here,

Signed,
Desperate for Dats

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It might help to start a new thread about germination help for your daturas or whatever else you're having trouble with. This thread was about mold on seedlings so the people who know how to get daturas to germinate may not be paying attention to it.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

I am new coming into this thread, but if this is correct- that the seeds in the original picture are blackberry lilly seeds- then that definitely looks like botrytis or penicillin mold to me. I would remove that whole pot from the vicinity of the others and do the light bleach drench as discussed in that pot only and hope that the mold has not spread. If you happen to have any copper or fungicides that would be better.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Naw, Joanna, that green is a warning sign that your soilless mix is compressed and not draining very well and that you are probably watering a little too much. Obviously not too-too much because the seedlings are really nice looking. :)

It will all go away as soon as you trasplant those good lookin' seedlings. A lot of people say to add some Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 from the drugstore at 1 T per quart of water next time you water. It has the effect of adding more oxygen to the rootzone. I've done it, but before I could determine if it worked or not, it was time to transplant to bigger digs.

The thing they are growing in -- that plastic tray-thing. When you pop those boys out, be sure to wash it really well, and take a look at the holes in the bottom -- there is something wrong-looking to me with that tray. Be sure there are enough holes, they are large enough in diameter, and if you think all looks swell, run some holes up the sides of the cells.

My humble opinion,
Suzy

Suzy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Suzy,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, you are right, I had packed in the soil to use a water wicking mat for bottom watering. There is a good size drain hole in each cell. The problem is that I have a "gardener in training" & she filled the bottom trays with about 1-1/2" of water, so everything became extremely soggy. I was surprised that there was so much water & she admitted to "watering the plants". I dumped all the tray water & ran a fan, which made a big difference. I think the seedlings should be fine.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

JB, that is not green mold, that is just algae. Of course, you've been given some good advice about how to cure it and what conditions caused it, but it is not mold and its not really a big deal unto itself. Down here algae grows on just about every surface, and although it can feed fungus gnats and make walkways slippery it is not the same as a pathogenic mold.

What was the result on the blackberry lily seeds- the original posting? I received seeds for this in my very first trade and had germination in one week. Also, I covered my seeds in soil. I have never had this plant before, so I just treated it the way I do most all seeds. F4F

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Blackberry and candy lily seeds like a little cold time too. I put mine in the fridge for several weeks before planting.That is why they make good wintersowers. I soak them over night then plant covering with soil. I get 99% germination in 3 days to a week. I have over thirty seedlings of them right now. If those were mine I would at least cover them with the peat. I also found that they germinate better for me in promix soil than in the peat pellets. If you have some good seed potting soil try picking out 1 or 2 of those you have planted together (if there are no signs of sprouting) and try replanting them in it in a styrofoam coffee cup with the soil 3 inches deep. Shallow soil dries out too quickly. Be sure to put holes in the bottom of your cup.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.