Longwood Gardens 2008 trip/get-together

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would so much like to join you guys out at Longwood Gardens. It would be a day trip for me. With hubby's crazy schedule I just don't know. I would know more closer to the actual date.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I'll start a new thread and up date it with folks going to Longwood and if they will do a weekend trip or just a day, that way we can have a better idea. I'll up date it as more join us. I'll keep an eye on this thread too as more join in the fun.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 7:28 PM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Does Longwood allow puppies?

Haighr, glad you joined our group, the date seems to be a good one since it is after Mothers Day and before the Memorial day weekend. I don't think my hubby wants to travel those other 2 weekend so the 17-18-19 is it.

Flowerjen, welcome! The more the merrier. Hope you can join us.

Wrightie, I'll look on the sight but I would think puppies are a no no. Do you have puppies to car for? Did I miss something?

Chris

The list of us that are interested in going:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818614/

This message was edited Feb 28, 2008 7:38 PM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I think they just allow "seeing eye" or service dogs.
There aren't many hotels in the immediate area, but there is a new Staybridge suites hotel nearby that's very nice. The rooms are geared toward long term stays, with a kitchen, dvd player/vcr, etc. I stayed there around Christmas for a weekend. I don't know what it cost though.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Chris, that list is a good idea :)
I could never figure out how to do that!

I don't think I ever saw anyone with a dog there before, but I haven't gone that many times to really know...

We have a town near us, Haddonfield, NJ, that is really dog friendly. Lots of dogs all jazzed up in their colorful little sweaters. The stores have water bowls provided in their entry ways. It was a sight at xmas with all the lights and dogs trotting about!

Claypa, Thanks for the tip on Staybridge, I reserved a room on your recommendation. I like it cause it is a stright shot to Longwood Gardens, and the rooms look nice and the little kitchenet will be perfect for us, hubby likes his beer and popcorn, and I might try some local wine but have to have some cheese with it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Not to steal this thread or anything...but.... Wrightie, did you get to pick up your pup over the wkend? how were the roads?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Jen, it was just a *visit* -- pick up will be in a couple more weeks. ... the roads were great in spite of all the drama! :) I posted some picks on the pupdate thread.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Fabulous plans coming together. Will be watching for the other thread and look forward to meeting some DGers as haven't been together with any since the RUs we used to have at the cabin.
I know Buttoneer tried to set this Longwood up for us once a year or so ago, but didn't work out so glad to see something coming together.

I do hope we get a good group, it will be so nice to meet everyone! I tryed to meet with Ruby for lunch on my way to the Outer Banks in 2006 but had car trouble on the way down and spent my day in Morgantown WV waiting for the car to be repaired.That made for a long day!

Wrightie, you will need a very big tote to sneek that little boy into Longwood. What a sweet face. Or you could put a Dave's Garden tee shirt on him and a sun hat and they'll never know. ☺

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

It would be great if everyone going would wear their DG tee shirts. We'd be walking advertisements at Longwood Gardens!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You know, that is something I have never purchased Shirley. But sure that I will be able to find all of you. You know me, I like to keep a "low profile" LOL!

Shirley, I'm glad you brought that up I was trying to think of something we could all wear that would set us apart. I for one will be wearing a hat due to the sunshine I hope to be dancing in!!! (I'm tired of gray gloomy snowy days.)
I need to buy a DG tee also. What do you all think?

I like the idea of the DG shirts!

I don't have one....and my husband certainly doesn't have one (not yet!!!)....never really took a close look at them before

Port Matilda, PA(Zone 6a)

Where can you get DG shirts and hats-I couldn't seem to find them on the website. The Longwood trip sounds like fun. Funny I was just talking to my DH about going there this summer!

Here is a link http://www.zazzle.com/davesgarden

I had a hard time finding it too. Metopa, hope you will join us!

I just got done playing with the shirt, I'm looking at Pink and then I added Ladygardener1 on the back and Chris on the front. It looks pretty sharp.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2008 4:14 PM

I found the site via the link here at DG. I enlarged the logo on the front to take up the whole front, made it much larger, added my DG name to the upper left too. Also added my DG name to the back.

Now for the color. First my DH was not too thrilled on wearing the shirts.....said he didn't need a new t-shirt...then after the idea registered he softened up and I asked him what color he would wear (hehehe)...I like the yellow, he doesn't so I'll probably get the blue for both of us. I haven't ordered yet.

What color is everyone getting?

wind: I have two D-shirts that I had purchased years ago. At that time, only white & light gray were available. Nice to know that they have other colors to chose from now.

Chris: You & me both! I always wear a hat in bright sunshine. Now, which one should I wear? The hot pink mama one or the lovely lavender one? Decisions, decisions...

Wind, I like the idea of the names on the shirt, that will take of wearing name tags. I would't worry about the color we are just a "rainbow" group. Or think of us as a prism with different plant interest that make up the whole garden. I haven't ordered yet either, I think we still have a little time.

Shirley you will just have to wear the name tag. Ha ha! I was going with my crushable straw hat, but might add a scarf around the brim, I have quit a collection of scarfs from the chemo treatments. Would be nice to put them to a better use.

Go with the Hot Pink Mama ; ^ ) Boy I wish I still had that pink hat with the big pink cabbage rose on it, that was when you had to wear hats to church, I was in my teens then. Opps! did I just say that ?

Port Matilda, PA(Zone 6a)

Yeah and white gloves, too! Ugh!

Crozet, VA

I found the site for the shirts but didn't order yet either. I wasn't aware that you could names and stuff to them. How cool!!!

We are going to be quite the group on the 17th of May. Quite the group.

Ruby

The hot pink mama's hat it is! Thanks Chris.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

If we had time, we could visit Chanticleer Gardens, too. http://www.chanticleergarden.org/

Just bumping this up so our new Mid-Atlantic folks don't miss it.

Crozet, VA

That might be cool too Buttoneer. You folks know more about these gardens than I do. I am just along for the ride. ha-ha

buttoneer, I would like to go to chanticleer gardens sometime, maybe that could be another trip to plan? I don't think I could do both the same day...I would want to make a day of Longwood. Longwood gardens is huge, alot of walking too.

Now I'm really looking forward to it. I was supposed to go to the Phila.Flower Show today and and don't think I'll be able to get there today or anytime this week or weekend. drats.

Crozet, VA

Wind, my niece Angela called yesterday and told me that she had sent an email last week about the Philly Show. I never got it, or I might have tried to plan to go there too. It is now too late for me to make arrangements to go. There is always........next year!!!

Ruby

I agree with wind. I think Chanticleer Gardens would be a wonderful trip at some other time. I think it would be too much to try and see both Chanticleer & Longwood Gardens. Longwood Gardens is huge and I would love to see as much of it as possible.

For anyone who is trying to see the Philadelphia Flower Show, it runs through this Sunday. If you can go on a week day, which only leaves tomorrow, it will be less crowded than on the weekend. I believe that on Sunday, in the late afternoon, they will also have some of their plants on sale, which is another great opportunity.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Chanticleer is too much to see both in one day. I agree on a separate trip. No problem. When our hobby greenhouse club took a trip to that area, we saw winterthur & chanticleer at the same day but it's a lot for one day.

Well, if this trip goes good for me, maybe Chanticleer could be done next year. It looks like a wonderful garden to visit.

Shirley, I saw some where on DG that you grew Nicotiana Marshmallow, I just ordered some seeds, what did you think of them?

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Please note: new discussion on trip to Lancaster County Nurseries: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/820942/

Yes, I did wintersow Nicotiana "Marshmallow". It grew well and the scent was mild. I had to put my face into the flower to smell it. I would have liked a Nicotiana wirh a stronger scent, but that's just my personal preference.

Thanks Shirley. I too like a heavier scented flower, one that the fragrance is carried in the wind to people walking by. I have a few oriental lilies that people will slow down in front of the house to sniff the air.

Crozet, VA

I would be willing to bet that you also have cars slowing down to look at the wonderful plants that you have around your place too Lady. From the pictures that you have shared in the past, I would think that the total picture is a good sight for sore eyes. How long have you been gardening?

Ruby

Ruby, The cars have to stop, there is a street stop sign at the corner garden. Now what plant can I grow to stop the ones that blow through the stop sign. Anyone have "Audrey" seeds?

Sometimes the weeds get ahead of me in the garden, but I am usually out there all weekend weeding, most of the time the neighbors get a look at my butt bending over to pull up a badboy. I have been gardening before I went to first grade. The only time I stopped is when I moved into an appartment before I got married, boy did I miss playing in the dirt.
It is amazing that in this town not many homes have flower gardens. Most places have evergreens in front of the home and then a few hanging baskets. maybe I make it look like too much work to others.

Crozet, VA

Interesting that not many have gardens. Do you think they might gotten discouraged by cold weather killing things or something along those lines? It is a lot of work to gardening. I wouldn't have much if I had to rely on myself to get things done though. I have become really weak the past few years and cannot physically do things like I used to.

I am looking forward to seeing more gorgeous pictures of the things that you grow Chris.

Ruby

good morning, just checking in

so is it definately going to be Sat, May 17th?
where will we all meet and what time?

I'm just double checking the date; I would like to also go on the Lancaster DG group gathering that is planned for April 26th
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/822738/

maybe we should post a list of who is planning on going so far?

this coming weeked, I'll order my DG t-shirts!

~Diana

I just found the list for the longwood gardens trip :)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/818614/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I still need to order my shirt too. I'm bringing my mil with me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.