Are ya'll ready for S-N-O-W?part 5

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Our weatherman whispered tonight that we 4 more storms coming....yes you read that right....4 I'm about ready to go to bed and cover up until it is 70 deg

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Have you read the farmers almanac yet
http://www.boston.com/news/weather/articles/2007/09/11/old_farmers_almanac_2008_will_be_the_warmest_year_in_a_century/
The Old Farmer's Almanac is relying on time-honored, complex calculations to predict that 2008 will be the warmest year in a century, but it also is banking on a factor anyone can understand: years that end in "8" have weird weather.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 8:54 PM

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh geezzzz I hope not the Hotest year I'v ever lived through was 87 we live in a mobile home and the neighbor and I sprayed the house down at night after we got home from work it was allways over 100 inside with the windows open I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE LOL
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning All,
Well I thought we had a very early spring the last 2 years. It seemed I was getting my plants out much earlier than expected ( I grow seeds in my basement) That's how I remember. The only reason I did not go into the ground with them was a chance of frost and last year we got one night in May and I felt it could happen so thank God I did plant out.
Well I think the weather is cyclical. I think it has been proven.
For my .02 cents I don't think we will get an early spring.
Today I heard MORE snow on the way !!
What do you all say?
Julie

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

If I were to say what I think...I'd be booted out of here!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL to funny!
I dont know what we will get but i have my fingers crossed that its OVER soon!

Either way im moving to the GH soon!

they say 2in for us tonight and 40 this weekend oh yaaaaaaaaaaaa! thats a start LOL

keep warm n stay sane!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The last 3 years we have gotten heavy snow the first or second day of March.
It is snowing, heavy, right now.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well happy birthday ...that is, if today is your birthday the 29th of feb!!!! all we have today here in plainwell is snow,snow,snow....bbbooo!! snowing pretty good here sight now... did i hear anyone say they were tired of it??? oh does this snow really count since its on the 29th which only come around every 4 years?? lol. well have a great snowy day everyone and what was it 6 weeks left til spring yeah!!! Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

morning all-its snowing and blowing here again-whaaaaan! can someone plez find the off button on God's snow machine???
My dh said the weather people said 2-4in with blowing and drifting-yippy!

I need to get some more seed start mix and plant some more seeds

Has everyone been watching the co-op-holy smokez I have a lot of plants coming
Hope i can redo some spots this spring so the garden will be prettier!!!
If you want hosta im still running the co-op till the 15th of march!!! ;)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

so now is the seed planting time?? i have the weekend off so i guess thats what i will be doing!!!!!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello,
This is a morning snow check. Only 1" so far here around the Flint area ....How about you??
I'm heading down my basement to plant a few my self.
Dori, I loved your picture of the greenhouse your DH made you out of old windows!! It is fantastic!!
If you hadn't told me i never would have known!! What a wonderful thing to have!
julie

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

2" and still coming down. Yippe skippe.
No more snow this winter please. Is anyone in charge listening?

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

No! But i will say all this talk of global warming did not prepare me for a winter of my youth. I remember snowy winters like this from November until March!!
It doesn't feel odd to me just normal. But I digress...I am SICK of it too!! But I must say I have gotten a lot of stuff done inside this winter. And yesterday I went to 3 big nursery/greenhouses that sell all year picking up their close outs!! They are geting ready for the season and marking down stuff!! So go shopping!! That's what I do!! Yesterday I got about a dozen mixed sizes of ceramic, clay and decorative pots from one dollar to 5.00. All a fantastic buy!! I got seed starter mix one of them had 2 cu ft. they sell for 19.99 on sale 1/2 off!
Lots of good stuff. One had Espoma foods 1/2 off. I bought a dozen of those!! OOOHHH I just love those sales!! Got a bunch of good stuff!
I am going down to plant see you all later!! And wash pots.. UGH!
julie

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,

I am co-op crazy, lol. All on here too. I checked out the yahoo ones and I am still overwhelmed by them. Besides, I have more than enough to keep me busy right here. (Yeah, like thats going to stop me)

Jazzy- Where are you finding your deals? Fenton area isn't too far away for a good deal.

Its been snowing on and off all day. I am guessing around 2" of wet sleety snow on the ground. Phooey!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Well someone is listening here and shut off the snow. Thank you very much. We got around 2" which is not too bad.

Sounds like a good shopping day, Jazzy, it sure is fun when you get unexpected deals.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

stop snowing here too!!!
My niece had a baby boy today-a leap year baby
her other son was born on halloween,
what are the odds on those 2 days-LOL

Julie thanks for the comments! :)
Im happy with my Dh going to keep him-i have had a few offers to RENT him! ;)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank goodness it stoped snowing here also but the drive home was fun WHY do men always think you have to drive 70 miles an hour on slippery roads and scare the bajeepers out of ya !!!!!! going to take the dog for a walk that should be interesting
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

A great nephew born today. How nice.
Your neice is smart, having babies on holidays so that the birthdays get remembered.

I also have a great nephew born on halloween.

I think we should start a new thread called
"Are you ready for spring?"
We need to think positive.

Everybody stay warm and safe this weekend. Remember "In like a lion...out like a lamb"
It won't be long now.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Lilmac,
I went to Bordines!! The one on Dixie Hwy. and in Rochester. They had some nice pots marked to $1.00.
They had Espoma at 1/2 of reg. price. (not all but some.) Then I went to Tellys on John R. George Papadelas owns it he does a lot of garden talks around Michigan and he has a regular column in the
Michigan Gardener (The free mag. available at all good greenhouses). Every spring both of these places put their stuff up for sale and cull out or sell out stock they don't want over bought etc.
I also went to Kmarts and they started to put out their garden stuff and the clerks put out last years stock that had been marked way DOWN.Those spiral 1/2" hose (50') they come back to themselves made by Martha Stewart they were originally 19.99, marked down to $5.00! I bought 3. I use them alot in my basement and on my deck. Now i have some to put behind my bushes in places around my house.
They also had some last years stuff that did not sell like stakes (.10) a pack for the ground cover and
plant labels, etc. You gotta go to Kmarts if you have one and look! I do love a good sale day!! Here's some of those pots..the pink/blk one was 5.00 I got 2 the one on top of it was I.00 I got 3, the next one was 5.00 the next matching one was 2.00 the two amaryllis size ones were 1.00.and the last few were 1.00 ea with a nice attached tray for amaryllis good depth. The green one is just a 4" to show you the sizes.
Julie

Thumbnail by jazzzy704
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

wow good find Julie wish our K Mart had stuff like that LOL
Gloria

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

I'll have to check out the local K-Marts. I just went to the Bordines website and they are having sales at the one in Grand Blanc...have to go there too!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

hey Julie I know Kmart does have some great deals I worked at one in Kalamazoo for 19 years.... when things are marked down its a pretty good mark down.... dont spend anything there now... still kinda bitter! But I like the pots you got on clearance... Im not sure but I think we got around 3 inches today..... My youngest daughter got a promise ring from her boyfriend today!!!! He is going into the National Guard.. He leaves on March 20th. She called me crying today so excited!! He really loves her alot and she loves him...I cant believe it!!! She is a full time student and works many hours a week at the hospital I work at, Im very proud of her... Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

hey Julie I know Kmart does have some great deals I worked at one in Kalamazoo for 19 years.... when things are marked down its a pretty good mark down.... dont spend anything there now... still kinda bitter! But I like the pots you got on clearance... Im not sure but I think we got around 3 inches today..... My youngest daughter got a promise ring from her boyfriend today!!!! He is going into the National Guard.. He leaves on March 20th. She called me crying today so excited!! He really loves her alot and she loves him...I cant believe it!!! She is a full time student and works many hours a week at the hospital I work at, Im very proud of her... Ronna

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Ronna,
What a wonderful thing is young love..OHHH I remember (barely)
How nice for her and you if you all are fond of her choice. It is nice for everyone to be happy for them and with them. He sounds as if he won't be around here very long though. That part is tough for a young girl and guy.
He will be off to new adventures and she will be alone. I remember doing something like that when a guy i dated in high school went to Vietnam! But i was too young to wait. i wrote but it was too big of a commitment for me. I hope it works for her. Sounds as if she is extatic!!
Great!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey lilmac, i did not even go to Grand Blanc one ...I did not know they were open!!
I'll beat you there!!! LOL!!
Julie

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

You got some great deals there Julie. I've never been to Bordines. But I will try to remember to stop at Kmarts after work today.

Seems to be another inch of snow on the car this morning. We got about 3 inches yesterday, so that would make it 4 inches.

Julie, you asked about my name once upon a time .... well, on another garden site I'm known as toomanyanimals. That is because when I was searching for a name for that site, my husband would come home and say, "We have too many animals." We didn't have a ton, just a lot of small inside ones (I live in the suburbs). But now, several years later, all we have is a dog (we are babysitting her for 2 years), and a cat. And I now feel like I have 'too few animals'. :o(

I'm hoping to be able to help Fairy from the perinneal co-op pack, still have to see if I can get the day off work, and she doesn't have an exact date, which makes it almost impossible for me. But I'm hoping, and maybe I will see some of you there,
sharon

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Jazzy!

I just called the Grand Blanc store to make sure the were open. They are NOT open for spring business yet! So put those car keys away! ; )

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

lol

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

HAPPY MARCH EVERYONE!!

Another month gone and we're closer to spring. I'm hearing more and more birds tweeting around which is a good sign.

The sun was shining bright here in AuGres and the temp was close to 40 degrees I think. Hubby scraped yesterday's snow off the drive and away we went to Tawas. We went out to lunch and then went shopping. Walmart sure had a lot of good markdown sales on everything in the center aisle and endcaps. I bought two new shower curtains since I couldn't decide which one I liked best. I also got a new tablecloth. The markdowns were good. They had lots of clothes marked down too but we don't need any of those. I've been trying to stockpile ahead items we use daily since the price of everything keeps going up up up. If I see it on sale then I buy more of it. I don't know if we can keep ahead of the inflation or not. I like those Crystal Lite packs that go into your water bottles. They had them on sale for two boxes for $4. I bought lots. At Glens they are $4 a box. I use lots of those every day. Every little saving helps.

Ronna, how exciting for your daughter to get that promise ring. Maybe you'll be planting flowers for a wedding some day. :) I had a garden wedding for my son and his bride. They couldn't afford the big traditional type wedding so I offered to do it in my backyard. This was at our city house before we moved up here. I had lots of formal beautiful perennial gardens. The mayor came to marry them. We set up tents and had about 75 people in attendance. I did it all including the food. I even baked the wedding cake. Those kids will never know how much work that was but I was happy to do it for them. I had a couple neighbor/friends who helped with the setup and decorations. I even had my little dog dressed up in a formal pink satin dress. :) I hope your daughter will be very happy.

Have a great weekend everyone. We'll make sure all the snow is gone for good then we'll start a spring thread either that or we'll just start it anyway and hope to scare away the snow. ha ha ha

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well i hope it will be a while befroe wedding bells ring.but i do like the guy at least... i probably would be doing the food and stuff also thats okay i love doing it my mom would help me i know, and other family members. i planted some seeds today... first time for me doing that. im excited i dont see any thing gowing yet lol!!! i have some oat grasses, columbines( one of the faves), foxgloves, and morning glories!!!! it will save a lot if they do goo... i also got some impatients and coleuses to do but to early for those i think. its really not to bad here in plainwell today or yesterday as a matter of fact... no new snow here yeah. kinda windy though. but you cant have it all....right? took the dog for a walk again today he loves it!! so do i... well hope everyone has a great sunday afternoon and good week Ronna

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello Every one,
Well i had to go down state to run some errands yesterday. So it was another day for checking out prices here and there!!
I went to Lowes, They had a hose end spray bottle of feed 5-10-5 I think called
"Colorburst" marked from 7.97 to 1.60!! I bought all 17 of them. They had some organic
insect spray marked from14.00 to 3.74! It has Pyrethrums as the main insecticide which I like to use on stuff inside!! (Non-toxic) It is a concentrate.
They took the prices off all their pots as the PRICES are going UP,UP, UP! I found a few with last years price to buy and some more mark downs too!
But I did go to a place called Garden Ridge they had 20% off all their pots. It is a Big Box Store but I don't think their pots were any cheaper than you could find at Menards!!
Anyone go out to 131 in Big Rapids?? I love that area they have Home Depot, Lowes,
Menards and Meijers all in one area next to the expressway!!
Well i am on a mission cause i have to plant my 20 + Brugs and i need bigger pots. I also have lots of overwintered plants i want to give bigger homes to!!
So those are my good deals so far!! I hope you too are finding some!!
Julie
Beautiful day today..it almost feels warm!!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well nothing to do with plants but....i have been doing some redecorating in the living room and been getting some great deals on new things for the wall... i bought a really cool decorative shelf for the wall...nice color 80% off at hobby lobby and a candle holder for 2.00, a really sweet bird for 1.00, and a really cool stamped metal long plaque kinda thingy but i like it.... for only 4.00 i painted the wall a really rich olive color got some new curtains... so i feel like a queen love the new look:):):) and really didnt spend a whole lot at all!! and thats the best part.... i love to get good deals also. and am always drawn to the clearance center of the store. Ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Feels kind of like...should I say it? Maybe I will just type it... "spring"

Lots of fresh animal tracks in the woods, from bunnies, otter, coyote to what looks like 50 deer.

Saw coyotes running on the ice in front of the house yesterday morning. Tracks all over on the ice. Biggest coyotes I have ever seen, more wolf size. Smelled a skunk this morning. Spring signs all over. I know that it is just a tease though.

I got some good deals too. DD is getting married in the fall and we are making some favors. We were using these craft embellishments from the Dollar Daze, but they had been bought out for several months. Seems like they got a new supply. We got a bag full of goodies. It was fun.

The kids got DH a beer making kit for Christmas and he had a bottle capping party yesteray. They bottled a couple cases of beer and brewed another several gallons. Looks like the basement has turned into a micro brewery. LOL

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's raining off and on here in AuGres this morning. I heard just a snip on the radio about more snow??? Gee, when will it ever end. I agree that it feels like spring. I think the time is going to change early this year. I might be wrong but next weekend?? I hope with the rain and more snow and eventual thawing we don't too bad of flooding. My pond always overflows and my fiels stay under water for days till the ground thaws. It's a mess. My flower garden and yard around the house and my veggie garden are all on high ground so that's good. We have put in a cement driveway and patio with walkway behind the house so that's dry. Before we'd be mud city for weeks in spring. I hated that.

Lots of folks getting good deals and decorating. Walmart in Tawas had a lot of sales going on in middle aisle. It was like a big garage sale. I bought two new shower curtains and a new tablecloth and two decorative pillows for my bed. I also got a new set of Eqyptian 400 thread count king sheets which I plan to put on the bed today. They really slashed the prices. I think a lot of stores are trying to get rid of inventory and get people out spending money they've been hanging onto. Worked for me. ha ha ha

I've been reading Dave's newsletter. It always has so much information and interesting articles. They really do a great job on it don't they? Something for everyone.

Hope the sun comes out. It's gloomy here. Have a great day eveyrone.

Brenda

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Well at least it was warm for one day....

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING
THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.
SNOW IS EXPECTED DEVELOP TUESDAY EVENING AND CONTINUE THROUGH
TUESDAY NIGHT...POSSIBLY BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES. SLEET MAY MIX
WITH THE SNOW FOR AREAS ALONG THE INTERSTATE 69 CORRIDOR. STRONG
NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH...WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH...WILL
CREATE ADDITIONAL POTENTIAL HAZARDS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
THE SNOW WILL COME TO AN END DURING WEDNESDAY MORNING. 5 TO 9
INCHES OF SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE FROM TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY
MORNING. THE LIGHTEST AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED IN MIDLAND AND BAY
COUNTIES ON THE FAR NORTHWEST EDGE OF THE STORM...AND FOR AREAS
ALONG INTERSTATE 69 WHERE A MIXTURE WITH SOME SLEET COULD LOWER
SNOWFALL TOTALS.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Say it isn't so!?!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

no snow on monday the 3rd around here:):)); Keep going! wanna roll the dice?

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

good morning to you too lilmac LOL
Gloria

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am predicting an early spring.
I will NOT allow anything else. LOL

My reasons for this prediction:
We didn't get our heavy early march snow, we had 46' yesterday (ok, for only a minute)
and there has been a wet sleepy chipmunk and a robin sighted.

I think we Hoody Hooed pretty good this year.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

MORE SNOW COMING ! WHAT"S NEW? WHO SAID EARLY SPRING????
NOT!!
LOL!
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.