Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 6

Off to bed, Nite!!!

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Good nite, Lorine ....(party pooper) lol : ) Sweet dreams.

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

No lane i went to winter haven it was a mad house. Thank goodness i called ahead our wait was only 15 minutes but the actual wait time was over an hour.

Lucy that is exactly why it bloomed.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Jeremy,,, those Irises definitely need dividing.. and now what color were they???
Elaine

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Nitey nite rene

Elaine, I had to look up Hearts a Bustin', I didn't know what it was. lol : )

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Nite Lorraine!
Lucy.....paste wax was the product. and...I got all those Rainlily bulbs planted the other day before the rain started....finally...lol!

I got some bulbs at Walmart last weekend....they did have alot of different ones, I was drooling...lol!
I am going to try these this year...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/756/

Jeremy...the Irises I saw at the botanical gardens weren't in water either, but I researched them and they thrive at a ponds edge in muck. Mine have been so carefree and pretty too.
The pond pots have little tiny holes in them so that the soil stays wet and the fine roots can poke thru. It will be a chore dividing them I'm afraid. I am thinking about making one giant pot or island and just putting all of them in there if I have to destroy the pots getting them out.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Lucy, those blooms were sent that's for sure. Can't believe the wreck was that long ago. Pray that your son is at peace with himself.
My Tea Olive is about 6 ft. and has been growing for 5 years.
Nite DM,
Ya'll can send me all those Dahlias that will not grow down there LOL....
Goodnight all,
'the streak'

Oh, that's a pretty one, Michelle. : )

Night Elaine, I will look around for some dahlias. And as far as my son, it took him a long time to get over that, about 6+ years. He is doing pretty good now. I'm just glad he wasn't driving, or he may have never got over it.

nite Elaine!
Lucy, those blooms must have been heavensent for sure. Glad your son wasn't driving and that he is dealing with that experience best he can.My brother had two similar experiences, but he was much younger. He has been a troubled soul most of his life and I know those situations had something to do with it. I have tried to help him and get him help in so many ways, but he went his own way and it hasn't been easy for him at all.

I have read that some Dahlias will grow here. Now I figure if you get one season out of them and you get them cheap then that's no different than buying annuals.
Here's a nice website that speciallizes in heat loving bulbs:http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/

Thanks Michelle, I like websights that have a 'search by growing zone' thingy. : )

I don't think my son will ever really get over it, totally. It just does something to you when something dramatic happens, like that. You are never like you were, before.

Yep I know. My brother found an older boy who had committed suicide by hanging in an orange grove near our house when he was 8 years old. He didn't know him that well, but knew who he was and his family. They lived in the neighborhood. Then later that year one of his friends got hit by a teen driver while he was riding his bike in the neighborhood. They had been playing and he had just left my brother. Later when my brother heard the ambulance he got a feeling and went to see. After the ambulance left he saw the boy's shoes still in the road , he picked them up and took them to the boys mom....so sad. All in one year. Kinda hard for an 8 yr old to experience and it does change you when you experience a close death.

Michelle, I think I see one lil white mistflower peeking up. : ) It better not be a weed. lol

LOL.....we'll see. I will be so happy! I better get mine started tomorrow then, you have fullfilled the "you first "
part of the arrangement...lol!

I just sowed a few, the other pot has nothing yet. I have a couple more ideas to try, if these don't work.

Lucy, I loved that pic of the deer in your pasture you posted on the Floridian thread.
When I lived in Texas and Oregon I was in the country most of the time...I really miss it.
Dh and I have talked many times about moving out a ways from the city here.....but I can't give up living so close to the family just yet...

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone! I had lost track of the thread and just sent Elaine a Birthday wish, so figured I would try to find ya, and there you were right on the front page! Lucky me! :)

Michelle, our pasture is a couple of miles from where we live. We use to live a couple of miles from our town, but the town has moved down to us. I have a Winn Dixie and Walmart almost directly across the street from me now. I can see their lights from where I am sitting.

Hey there, Tammy. I was wondering where you got off to. : )

~HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ELAINE~ again. : )

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

Things change.......my home town is unrecognizable these days. When I was there I didn't recognize anything and I was lost...lol! My Dad took me to a BBQ place where we always ate when I lived there 28 yrs ago.
The waitress was the same...just many years older, the walls were the same color and the dishes the same...the menu too, just like I remembered. After that I wasn't lost anymore....lol!

He told me last year that the owners retired and closed it up:( ......at least I got to eat grapefruit pie one last time.

yes...Happy Birthday Elaine.....!!!!!!!!!!

Grapefruit pie? I have never heard of such a thing. Interesting. : )

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hey Lucy, I think I got lost in the shuffle! LOL
You ought to see that Christmas Senna! That thing is HUGE!!! :)

They grow pretty fast, huh? LOL

Hi Misty! Glad you are not lost anymore! this thread can move pretty fast at times...lol!
Lucy, I have never seen it anywhere else......I hope I can find a recipe. It was good and interesting.
Kinda like strawberry pie but only with grapefruit sections....pink.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Shell! Me, too, cause I have a hard enough time keeping up with myself! LOL
Lucy, I was totally amazed at that thing! It is at least 3 feet tall already!

Sounds good, I like grapefruits. I like strawberries, by themselves, or on shortcake, but I don't like them in anything else, including ice cream.

Wow, it has grown. I've noticed that mine are growing fast, too. Some of them are gonna have to be moved. They move ok, when they are small, but the last 4 ft'er I tried to move, I killed it.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thankfully it is in a 'normal' sized pot for now, but I think I may need to buy one of those little stands on wheels for it, and soon! :) It hasn't grown out much, just keeps going up, up, and up, kinda like Jack and the Bean Stalk! LOL

I'll have to look up Christmas senna.....

Hey I found the correct recipe for the grapefruit pie.....one on the internet was not right.

So I went to the cookbooks, (I have many....another addiction I mean collection of mine...lol!)
I have some that were my Grandmas and even one from the 1800's.
Any way it's the one...except this recipe uses merange for the top and not whipped cream....easy adjustment.

I wish I had alot of people to cook for again. I miss it. Just me and DH and with our weird schedule I don't get the opportunity to cook a "meal" much any more. We never eat at the same time so we just scrounge around and figure something out on our own.

You probably can cut it back and let it branch out, when it warms up alittle. Unless you want it to be treelike. I wouldn't cut it back past June tho, or it might not bloom. I can't remember if they bloom the first year or not...I think they do tho.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

If I cut it back can I propagate it in water or soil? I would rather it bush out some instead get tall and tree like. But I definitely want it to bloom.

Michelle, I bet that 1800's cookbook has some good old fashion ways of cooking. That would be interesting to thumb through.

Do you guys mean this senna? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1328/
I have one! Jan gave it to me and it wasn't labeled and I didn't know what it was...lol!

Yep Lucy...I haven't looked thru it in a very long time. It isn't in the best shape so I don't touch it much.....I think I'll get it out on Sunday and have a look. I have other old cookbooks that were my grandmas that have recipes for squirrel, possum and other yucky stuff too.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

That isn't the one I have in my list, but is close. Right, Lucy?

I don't know Tammy, I have never tried to root one. I do know that they have a kind of hollow cottony center when you cut the branches of an older one. Those young stems might work if you use some rootone on them. I don't know if they would root in water or not.

Tammy, that is the one I sent you. Was it not what you wanted?

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

OOPS, I didn't add it to my list! That might be the right one. I think I will let it mature a bit more before I start doing anything to it, but when I do cut it back I might as well try to save it instead of pitching it! :)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh No, Lucy, I just brain farted is all! I think it is beautimus!!! :)

Yep, it doesn't hurt to try to root things. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.