Chit Chat... Everyone welcome. Part 6

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here. : )
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/805961/

O.K. everybody, chat away.

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

I didn't realize my morning glory was going to be that blurry. Oh well, it's still pretty, for the vine being about 30 years old. I forgot what kind it is. I will have to look it back up. : )

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Lucy you are just tooooooooooo easy! :} Ask and ye shall receive eh! Think everyone must be out partying since its Friday nite! Guess I am just boring. I spent the day in Orlando yesterday so i was happy just to be home today.

The color is beautiful. Are your plants all budding out?

Linda, you are sure not boring. You get to travel some, and you have a big family that gets together alot. : ) I'm the boring one, I hardly go anywhere, except outside. MIL keeps me pretty much tied right here. Oh well, I probably want have her around one day, and then I'll be sad.

Yes, alot of my plants are budding out. I sure hope we don't get another freeze, that would be the pits. I've been planting alot of seeds, so there will be alot of new plants to share. I also have more coming from 2 different swaps, so I will be real busy.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

And you will be getting some in the mail too.
It has been beautiful here last 2 days. cold at night, but warming up into the high 60's. Been raking leaves away from plants and putting down fresh pinestraw. My hydrangeas had buds. Daffodils are beginning to bloom too. My Lemon Drop Camellia has blooms also. I think spring is near. Oh yes, I cut lots of mustard greens today.. Have to go put them in the freezer.
Elaine

That does it! I'm gonna plant some mustard greens, and some baby spinach. I love baby spinach on my sandwichs, in stead of lettuce.

I bet that lemon drop is really pretty. I only have a white camellia, and it's blooming. : ) I wish I still had a pine tree. Mine blew down during Charley. The soil under that pine grew beautiful plants.

What all am I getting in the mail, Ms Elaine?

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Welllll,,, several things. and I will put some mustard seeds in too. I bought a small sack full back in late fall. Could plant a truck farm with them..LOL They are soo good. Hope your MIL is doing ok. Did you unhook the stove?
Elaine

No, DH hasn't unplugged the stove yet. I keep telling him to. He says he has to use it to warm stuff up for her, and cook her breakfast.

A funny thing happened the other day...bless her heart. She wanted to go to church on Sunday, cause they were having a dinner after church. We usually get her a pie to take. Well, I guess she didn't remember that, and fixed deviled eggs. They looked o.k., but I had to laugh at them. She didn't want the plastic wrap to stick to the eggs, and she couldn't find any toothpicks, so she cut off one end off Q-tips and stuck them around in the eggs. Needless to say, we talked her into taking the pie instead, and told her that We wanted the eggs. LOL

Hi! all have some more Ammies blooming today. a picotee & Double Record

Thumbnail by

Oh My, Lorine. That one is beautiful. Do you think they like pots better than in the ground, or does it matter? Yours are always so pretty.

I keep them in pots till they bloom then in the ground they go. they seem to dojust as well or better in the ground. these are new bulbs. I have some in the ground spiking also.

Those seeds I got from you last year are about 4-6 inches high now. I wonder how many years before they get blooming size. Any ideas?

It varies from 2 years on up. a lot has to do with good care & fertilizer. They are very heavy feeders. I have some I planted last spring that are about an inch across. I believe they will bloom next Spring!

Ok, thanks : ) I'll shoot some fertilizer to them. I have some old ones outside I need to replant. Over the years leaves and stuff has just about buried them. I need to get them lifted up some. Last year only about half of them bloomed.

They don't like to bloom if they are buried. I leave about a 1/3 of the bulb above the ground. Some of mine in the beds will have to be lifted this summer. they seem to get buried.

I was gonna lift mine last year, and I kept putting it off. I'll get to it this year tho, I hate not getting to see them bloom.

This weather the last few days has been great to work outside, but I still have a million things to get in order, and the days aren't long enuff, it seems.

I have been working outside some too. I am going to plant some green beans tomorrow. BTW I finally got broadband on my puter, sure is a lot faster!!

I know that makes a huge difference. I've only had it for a couple of years now. I still remember dial-up, slow, slow, slow. Pictures took forever, if at all.

I'm headed for bed. can't keep my eyes open! Nite all!!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 11:33 PM

Nite, Lorine. Sweet Dreams. : )

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Lee, yep I get up early everyday. During the week because we have to be on the job at 7, then on the weekends because it's just a habit for me and now for the dogs.

Lucy, being a grandmother wasn't something I looked forward to, or menopause or uncontrolled weight gain. All indicators of the aging process. Being a grandmother is the best of all now so with the aging process comes a new joy. The two girls are as different as day and night. The youngest is from a different father and has wanted a dad so badly, she made one up.......until Jeremy, and he treats her as his own daughter. She has much energy, (would climb every tree here if they had lower branches), defiance and curiosity. The older girl is quieter, calmer and interested in more sedate activities.

I've been up since 5 this morning but have tip toed around to keep from waking yall up. I know you were up late again.

I'm meeting with a friend at 8 to go to a half price plant sale, then I need to get dog and parrot food. Maybe later if it stays warm I will transplant some more daylilies around the beds and also need to get the plastic repaired on the GH.

We lost a days work during the week and to not miss the pay, we will work on Sunday. Supposed to get cold on Sunday night. Feels cold now at 49. I woke up at 3 and switched the unit to heat instead of a/c. Strange weather here. A/c and heat in the same day.

My ammies haven't come up yet. I'm keeping an eye out for them but nothing yet. I do have some bulbs sprouting that have been fooled into thinking it was spring with this false warm weather.

I need to get another tray of seeds started soon and pot up some of the seedlings. Since we are having a cold spell coming, they will all have to stay in the house for a while.

I think I shall wake Billy and make him take me to breakfast. When I get back I expect you lazy heads to be up and have your coffee!

Molly
:^))))

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I've got my box of about 10,000 seeds of various species sitting nearby. I'm hoping to grab some hours this week and get them started, once and for all, to see if any of them are still viable after several years in the packages (part of that time spent in the refrigerator crisper until Christina demanded the space for food -- but that didn't last long because I filled the crisper with hundreds of tulip bulbs I salvaged from the Lowe's cull packs, intending someday to ship them to a few DGers further north). I'm still feeling overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done. I didn't really realize how much time would be required for writing articles for DG, but like everything else I do, I tend to slip over into the obsessive/compulsive disorder and don't know how to crank out a brief, few words (as per this post! LOL)

Jeremy

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning all.

See we are down in the 30's again for Monday and Tues :(

*Yawn* .....Morning all. : )

Yawne, Yawn, yawn me to. Morning all! Lucy i am so sorry i talked you into starting a new thread and a migraine hit me and off to bed i went. I just finished catching up on all the news from everyone and everybody is busy busy busy. Lucy that is tooooo funny about the deviled eggs. I can just see my mother doing that.

Molly I used to get up really early now i try to sleep really late! lol i might add i do a really great job with the latter.

Elaine sounds like things are sprouting out up there already. Hope we are not all to premature.

Well I have to cut the mustard today. Then comes the cleaning then the cooking!

Linda, it was time to start another thread, anyway. Sometimes I don't think about it, and need to be reminded.

My DD is suppose to come over this afternoon, I always like that. I wish she lived closer than 45 mins away. Oh well, she got a new PA job, making alot more money over in St. Pete. She will be working across the street from Bayfront medical Center, and All Childrens hospital with a child neurologist. The only thing I hate about that is she has to go over the Sunshine skyway every day.

Have a great day. : )

Lucy my son works at the Pinellas health Dept. They were right across from BayFront but they moved them over to MLK Blvd. He is thier Net work Manager. I cut my mustard this morn. now have to wash & cook it. Lorine

This message was edited Feb 9, 2008 11:44 AM

Is MLK very far from where he was? The Dr she works under now, hired her 3 yrs ago, then this last year he hired another P.A., also.

The other day, he tells them both that he is gonna put them on part time. Ashley just built a new home, so that was not gonna work, so she started looking for another job. She was hired really fast, and they told her they would make it worth her while. They did. She starts in 2 weeks.

She has to learn this new stuff though, but it should be easy, cause she already was doing general medicine for children. This is just specialized. The only thing she is worried about is that a few of these children don't live long. That is sad to her.(very soft heart, like me)

I think she will be o.k., tho.

I'm not sure. I did not drive there, but I believe it is South of 275. He lives at St. Pete Bch. Lorine

DD lives in Parrish, so it will take her about 35 mins, give or take, to get to and from work. I just worry about that bridge. Now, everytime I here Sunshine skyway on the news, my heart will start to pound.

I guess all moms worry about something. Huh? : )

That is a beautiful drive!! I don't have a problem with the bridge. Here is another pic of my Red Pearl Ammie. Isn't she a beauty!!!! Have to go finish washing those greens, talk later. Lorine

This message was edited Feb 9, 2008 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by

Yes, it is. Everytime I see one of those anywhere, I think of you. : )

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Jeremy, I planted some seeds last year that had been in my fridge for over10 years. Some of them were over 15 years old. I had about an 80% germination rate. You should definitely plant some of those seeds.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Just beautiful amaryllis. Just finished eating and putting my mustard greens in the freezer.. yummy. Worked all day raking leaves away from plants and putting down fresh pine straw.. Only about 1/2 done. tomorrow is going to be beautiful too. Saw the prettiest little gold butterfly, but when I went and got camera, he was gone. He was on my pretty little crocuses. Linda sorry about that migraine. Hope you are better.
Elaine

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Been a busy day. Went to the nursery and got a lot of plants for half price. Let's see:

3 azaleas
4 Sky Leaf Holly's
4 lorepetelum
2 antique roses
2 orange and 2 purple cestrum
3 pentas
1 Vitex, purple

I planted all but 2 lorepetelums, plus 4 magnolias. Then I cooked dinner and cleaned up. Spent way too much time in the kitchen for my liking.

Can't wait for all these plants to grow and bloom. Been thinking about the lily coop I'm buying from. Need to figure out where to put the bulbs. And speaking of lily's I bought some off the "We're afraid they will die of frost" rack for $1.00 each. They were very healthy and now are starting to bloom, white. These are growing in the greenhouse.

I found the tea olives I bought last summer are all dead :^(((

Well, gotta shower and get to bed. Need to work tomorrow to make up lost time.

See ya later,
Molly

Took some pics today...let's see what we got: Ah yes, the dgd's picked these from their back yard, wild I think. Anyone know what they are?

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Wow Molly, you are a busy girl. : ) That place is gonna be beautiful. : )
I don't know what those flowers are, did they pick them for you?
Sleep well.

Elaine i am feeling better. I just took something and went to bed woke up good as new (well thats a stretch) but woke up feeling well enough to cut the mustard. Put 4 qts in the freezer.

My walking iris' walked to the back of the house today. I spent the afternoon putting wheels under plants.

Lucy I am not real sure but i think i see little plants where i planted the the flame vine. Its either that or weeds. i hope it is flame vine. Save me a cutting just in case.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

She sure is busy,,, Molly nitey nite. not sure what those pretty flowers are. do they smell good?? Love those bargain plants. I just can't resist them. I have some bargain hyacinths and freesias I need to plant or they will be blooming in the package.
Jeremy, I thought refrigerators were meant for storing seeds and plants,,, LOL
Lucy, that bridge is probably the safest one in the world now. And such a beautiful drive to go to work every day. I can smell that salt air now. Your dd is doing some wonderful work for those children. You can be proud. That sure is a pretty MG.
Rene,,, Oh,, that Red Pearl is one I "need" do any of your amaryllis have babies?? My carnival ( I think) had one on the side. Your stalks seem shorter maybe because of more sunlight ?? I am stillll enjoying my White Nymph.
Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.