2nd Chance Seed Swap Final Thread #10

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Kids,

New thread..........

We still have 7 more boxes left to do, and they are BIG ONES!

Everything will be mailed *tomorrow*, barring unforeseen circumstances, but I wanted to check in and start a new thread because the other one was getting too long for me to load. :))

See ya, gotta get back at it,

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

You rock girlfriends!

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Flower-how do you get to the bluestone co-op??

Bluespiral-with regards to the styro cups-I am talking about 20 oz ers??

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I have used the styro cups that size and put them in foil turkey pans. You could put large clear plastic over them with something to prop it up and keep the seedlings safe. Just be sure to anchor the plastic. It would be sort of a cold frame when you're done.

THANKS!!!
SUZY-YOU ARE OUR QUEEN (bowing)!!LOL

(Zone 7a)

Fairy - 20 oz sounds good - it's worked well for Robyn. Whereas I would encase the whole business in a transparent plastic garbage bag as if it were a pillow case with holes slashed in the top and bottom and supported with 2 wires crossing overhead in the center and anchored at the corners, Saran wrap is good for her (well anchored with some kind of support also). Don't forget to half a bird net roof when temps warm up.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I like your idea with the trash bag. I used theplastic that you use for putting on windows for weatherproofing. But the trashbag probably would work better.

I am sooo sad-when I came home all of my iris's were in a gint puddle-I am praying they don't rot-most of them are rebloomers:( This is their 1st year, & I have just heard a lot about iris rot and am really freaking out!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

try to drain it off.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hahahahahha that a really cute pig picture. : )

Dang ya all must have worked like crazy to get all them boxes done.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

wow What a great job Suzy I am so amazed to be getting them so soon.....lol

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL - you should have seen us! No still pictures were taken today, things were moving a bit too quickly :) I'm still in awe of Suzy's ability to remember a single pack of seeds amongst, quite literally, thousands of packs. Wait, I was wrong, we did get one picture of some help we had....that's attached. (Notice, please, how strategically our "help" positioned himself in the hallway between the two rooms...yep, Suzy had two rooms dedicated to this project. I think he was upset with me for not bringing him anything from McDonald's...)

Now, for those of you who are waiting - oh, right, that's all of you :) - the envies/boxes that are done are with ME!!! Postage affixed on all, and I'll be heading to the P.O. tomorrow morning to drop them off. Those going out Priority will have an automatic tracking number (I already have those), and those that are going First Class will have a tracking number assigned once I get to the P.O. (those have to be done in person).

By the way - this also means that you can't ask Suzy for any more seeds to go in your packages - LOL!!

Is there a thread for us in the CG forum yet for seed starting?

Thumbnail by dryad57
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Fairy, they hopefully will be fine, if the rains stopped, maybe lay out some newspaper to soak it up. When you can I would consider digging them up and berm up that area if it is possible, so they will be high and dry in future rains. or maybe relocate them since now you know they are in a low lying area. They are easy to dig up and move :)

Thumbnail by wind
Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wind - which one is that?????

dryad, suzy....love your little helper! thanks again so much for all your efforts. I would like to keep in touch via the cottage garden forum too. I'm keeping a list of everything and who it was from so I could give reports and show photos.

I was wondering if anyone can share how they keep notes of their germinations both indoor and WS. I made a word document which is only good to list the plant and note when it was planted and when it begins germinating but now I'm out of room and was wondering how everyone keeps their records? I do have a garden journal too but I want the seeds planted info separate so I can work from it easily.

Bearded Iris, Germanica Jurassic Park

forgot to mention our weather is very weird here, warm enough to open the windows!!!!!

LOL! Ask Dryad, she has a spreadshhet for *everything*!

Suzy

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

buwahahahaha! I do indeed have a spreadsheet!! So far it's only telling me which seeds to WS and which go indoors, and which wait until "after last frost" - and it's not doing a very good job of that as I've not had a chance to get everything entered. I'm actually making an effort to use the Journal here on DG, as it lets me do updates to entries, and gives me more room for info than the spreadsheet does. (Blame my prior career, during which I had an overly-long stint with Arthur Andersen/Andersen Consulting, and Mercer HR Consulting...those consulting firms drill spreadsheets and paranoia into you really well!!)

Thank you Wind! I'm gonna have to go find that one...

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a spot for our WS questions, indoor starting issues, and baby pictures...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811207/

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

working with those consultants drills the spreadsheet doctrine into you pretty well, too (ha!) I also have spreadsheets for everything.

here's a shot of part of mine. it started out to be just wintersowing. then I added headings further down the page for starting in the house or direct sowing. not the best setup, but it works. I have tabs for each year (only 07 & 08 so far), and one for suggested combinations of plants. there are more columns to the right for date of first germination, # of seedlings, # planted, where planted, # survived first winter. then notes.

Thumbnail by grampapa

Geez, Gram you don't even have the seeds yet and you've got a spreadsheet made for them? I think I might do some switcthing around tonight and give you a whole other set.... just to be ornery.

Wait! If I trade you the seeds I took for myself inexchange for the ones in your box, can I have your spreadsheet? ROTFLMAO!!!

Dryad, thank sffor starting the nice thread started in the CG forum for the babies o'course it might be a while before there is anything germinating, especially for the wintersowing folks :))

Suzy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jan -- your spread sheet is so pretty. I too used excel ... but did not add colors.

If anyone wants to see a copy ... let me know and i can email it to you.
1 page was for the seeds, including all their data, then the other page [in the book] was for my WS results.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I can hardly wait :-)

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I had to get a jump start on it because I'm already doing some w/s'ing. Have to figure where some of those plants might go if they actually germinate, too. Don't worry... anything that doesn't show up can be easily deleted ;0)

same as Terese said. if anybody would like a copy, I can e-mail. just d-mail me with your e-mail addy. Terese, I'm used to having to bring stuff to meetings with the top brass and they seem to like the color and pretty fonts more than the substance in the actual data. I've found that putting an animated .gif into a powerpoint presentation can really distract a few VP's (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Notes? You keep notes? Well I can start seeds, or I can do a spreadsheet, but not at the same time LOL. tcs I would love to see you chart if I may. Right now I only have a graph on the wall showing which seeds to start at how many weeks before last frost. Pitiful huh? Suzy and Dryad, I can't imagine how much stress you have endured to do all you have. Thank you so much for you time and your hard work, not to mention making sure everyone got more than we could have dreamed of. You guys are the best.

Ansonfan, and everybody else, you are more than welcome. I got a kick out of it.

If anybody is wondering how the sort from the "Extras list" went this morning, it went slowly. Not all the seeds had actually been packaged because I ran out of supplies and info sheets and just got them yesterday and last night. But I had to list them -- it was a "list 'em or lose 'em" proposition because any leftovers go from here to the Butterfly & Hummer swap, Momcat's RR, and also Robbi's April Swap. I also sent some of the leftovers (after your picks) to Cordeledawg, Doccat and new DG member Artiss? Something like that, from the CG forum. LOL!

On the Extras List, there was a rush on Japanese Morning Glories, but oddly, eveyone who wanted some got them because Bluespiral sent the exact amount, as extras for the swap, as what was requested. I cannot say the same thing about the Heirloom Leeks -- lots and lots and lots of requests for those, but only one pack available. Keep in mind there was 1 pack for almost all of those offered. I would say people got 4 of their 5 first choices and 3 of the 5 of their second choices. Not bad for the bottom of the bucket.

Ansonfan, I have to agree...I can either make charts and graphs and spreadsheets or do the job, not both. In January, while you all were fighting a Feb1 Swap deadline, I wintersowed 54 containers plus the ones inside under lights. I have no idea what I sowed because I didn't have time to do the DG Journaling or the DG spreadsheet, and I hate to type, anyway, so it all worked out. I didn't even make a list on a sheet of paper, so it will be a complete surprise to me. LOL!

I encourage ALL of you to make lots and lots of spreadsheets and doc files so I have less typing to do...:)) gram, and several 2nd chance swappers, had it all typed up so neatly it was amazing. What they were sending and who they were sending to, what they were getting and who they were getting it from, what they were sending as extras, it was mind boggling! I took the liberty of dmailing all of them and begging for their pre-typed lists, which is the only reason you got to pick from a list early on, then Dryad helped me with last night's. Otherwise it would have been a real wildcard swap.

I was once in a swap where the hostess wanted us to type a list of what we were sending, but she told us midstream, not at the beginning. I changed my beautiful package of 2 each of 60 different kinds of seeds to 30 each of 4 different kinds of seed just so I wouldn't have to type a long list for her. LOL!

We are all sleeping in tomorrow, but will get the rest of the packages packed, taped, sealed, opened, more seeds added, taped, sealed, stamped and mailed.

Suzy

Thanks for the suggestions on the irises-unfotunately it turned right from rain to snow and the temp dropped like a rock-now I just hope that they are not sitting in a big thing of ice under all the snow!!! I did drain off a bunch of the water and have the soaked shoes to prove it!!

Since this is my 1st year sowing seeds really I want to thank you all for your generous swaps and for all your help & suggestions!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I feel in good company (for lots of reasons LOL) because so many of us are newbies at seed-saving, winter-sowing, etc. I have been seed starting for a long time, though. For many years I grew a big veggie garden and started all the seeds indoors...never bought plants because I wanted to pick varieties. I didn't have a fancy setup. for warmth I had a lamp with an incandescant bulb that I put under a desk, kept on 24 hrs and enclosed the whole thing with sheets of cardboard until they germinated. then I put them under a shop light I hung from my spare room ceiling. I made a table out of 2 saw horses and an old door. there's no stopping a gardener ;0)

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

edited - entry moved to different thread, where it should have been :)

This message was edited Feb 8, 2008 12:40 PM

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

okie dokie little piggies - guess who just got back from the Post Office ????

(edited to add - get those spreadsheets ready!!)

This message was edited Feb 7, 2008 3:02 PM

Thumbnail by dryad57
toronto, Canada

Wow, you two are awesome! Christmas is coming really early ... February :-)) KD

(jax) Dundalk, MD(Zone 7a)

HIP HIP HOORAY!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I also wanted to mention to you that a number of us were fortunate enough to get seeds from Carol Eads' garden via our own dear WZ...who also was gracious enough to VERY QUICKLY provide me with a list of the seeds that she knew were from Carol's garden (given below). If you open your treasure chest and find any of these in there (WZ's seed packets are very distinctive), please be sure to let us know how they do, and if/when you're able to gather seeds from them!

Coriander
Potentilla villosa
Borage
Delphinium mix
Delphinium light blue
Nootka Lupine
Silene armeria
Nicandra physalodes
Papaver somniferum, semi-double red
Papaver somniferum, semi-double lavende

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you Weez and thank you Carol for all the wonderful seeds.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

yes! thanks to everyone! Gosh! I am sooooo excited! How will I ever sit still until they arrive - kd2000 is right - this is just like Christmas . . . .and I promise - I have been very, very good! LOL (though maybe not as good as Susy and her helpers)

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

wellll.......for those of you who just can't stand it - you may want to consider getting your flats/pots/containers ready!!!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes! Yes! Yes! (can you tell I am excited????) [hopping up and down]

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

wwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooohhhhhhhoooooooooo Ive got to go get more potting soil

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL - I haven't placed any bets with Suzy, but I'm guessing when the packages hit there will be some folks NOT posting for a day or two!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.