Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

They didn't lose a leaf

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

hanging baskets putting on new growth all the time

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

more begonias.......they didn't know the wind blew up to 50mph for many days on end
poly was only 50.00 from Lowes and i still have half the roll left for next winter

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

this big hoya basket is ready to hang from a tree!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ti plant with syngonium and a ginger on the left

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

The brugs are ready to go outside when the wind dies down this spring........

We need a new thread..........does someone want to start one?????????
gail

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

you can't miss this!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/information/57815/Let_me_amaze_you.html
>
>
> The two young men are brothers, well known in Europe. This is
> WELL worth watching. What they are able to do seems nearly impossible.
> ALL I CAN SAY IS .............WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Zone 1)

Wow! Gail, you have definitely SOLD me on that Poly! Next winter I am going to put it up on my screened deck which is open to the north! I think it will really help keep it warmer out there and I won't have to be dragging plants in and out every other week! Your plants look outstanding! Those photo's would be a good advertisement for any company that sells poly. I wouldn't care how it looks as long as it does the job! We have windows on the north end of the Florida room and I think I will poly those too. I remember years ago when we had a very hard freeze and it got so cold, one of the windows on that side shattered! The poly stuff should help a lot!

Thanks so much for showing me your pic's and telling me about this!

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Gail, as always, everything looks SO happy living with you!
What a wonderful and innovative way to keep your plants snug!
Will you leave the poly on during the summer too or will you remove it and re-use it next winter?
You truly need a greenhouse my friend :) You are amazing!!!
Looks beautiful!!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a better than a greenhouse, Kim........as the North side of the porch is up against the house. It doesn't get as much light as I wish because there is a roof over it, but maybe next year I am thinking about getting a big halide light on the ceiling.

I will take the poly off once the winds die down...........which is probably towards the end of March. If I am ever able to financially, I would like to have lexan panels made for each screen opening that I can put up each year and then take down.........in the meantime, this worked great for the winter.

Greenhouses here are a waste of time..........the summers are too hot and all they would do is overwinter plants and I have that with the poly.

(Zone 1)

Didn't know if any of y'all ever check out the articles here on DG. This just made my day! DG'er Palmbob is such a great artist and cartoonist ... if you need a smile, well just check this out: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54577/

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, I hate to tell you but that opens a link to the plant files for the basket plant..........

Worn out and we haven't begun.................I found out two things today as we were setting up for the first AV show and sale. My african violets pale in comparison to our President's plants in blooms.........and number....................she promises that all she uses is nothing but the 12-36-14 but I think she must be using a stronger bloom booster.............she is a wonderful person.........

When I saw her african violets, I bowed out of entry......(laughing so hard as I did it) but I may go ahead and enter a couple of streps I took...............I even gave her a box full of trailers a couple of months or so ago of new ones.............hers were covered in blooms and mine were just thinking about blooming (LOL)

South, TX

There were so many gorgeous plants! I can't wait until the sale!

(Zone 1)

Ooops .... Here's the correct link to the funnies: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/734/

Oh how I would love to be there for that sale! Gail, I can't even imagine the Pres. of your club's plants because every photo you post is absolutely gorgeous and I know pictures don't even begin to do justice to what plants look like in person. You still should enter some ... you may get an honorable mention but even if you don't get a ribbon, it still shows others attending the show what these Gessie plants look like! I think the more on display, the better!

Enjoy the funnies!

I think you should leave your plants in the show Gail, if nothing else just for the experience. The judges will comment and that way you'll know what to work on for next time. Don't try to compare with the President's plants, she has probably been showing for a long time, but she had to start somewhere.

Susan

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

OMG Lin,Those cartoons are priceless.You are right,palmbob is amazing!
Gail I agree with Susan..I say go for it.Your plants will do alot better at the show than you think : )..sure wish I could attend that show!!

(Zone 1)

Hey Cedar! Great to see you in the Garden again! I have missed you, RainGazer, SnowRose and Bmedel - hope everyone can get back on line and visit soon! Although, with Spring just around the corner I have a feeling we will all be extremely busy the next few months!

I have been out working in my yard a lot this week. We have been having great weather for working outdoors with temp's in the low 80's. Our yard trash pick up was today and I had 10 trash cans and 4 huge bags of debris! I have been pruning and trimming and cleaning out flower beds! We have more weeds this year than I've ever seen ... dandelions everywhere!
We are getting ready to fertilize the lawn and put down weed killer. I cut all the hibiscus down to the ground and hope my hubby will be digging them up soon! Made the mistake of planting them right up next to the house on both sides and they grow so fast it's a constant battle keeping them below window level! We actually had some grow above the roof line a few years ago .... Aaaargh!

We are also getting ready to have a new roof put on the house and getting estimates on having the pool and the cement pool deck re- done ... needs it badly, cracks everywhere! I have two Schefflera Trees in the backyard, one really enormous and they are planted right next to the pool deck. One has cracked the cement really bad in areas. We are going to see about having both of these trees removed too. One is right next to the foundation of the house and can crack the foundation ... that one should have been taken out a long time ago! I will probably take cuttings from these monsters to root. My backyard neighbor wants another one. I rooted one for her and one for her daughter a few years ago.

Well, I guess I will get back to work! Today I am out on the deck repotting some plants and watering and fertilizing a lot of them.
Hope everyone has a great day! Spring is here in Florida with yellow pollen covering everything and a lot of the trees leafing out ... so it will be arriving in your area soon I'm sure!

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Lin,Trees leafing out and pollen covered plants...Oh you are killing me!! LOL I can't wait til its nice enough here to work outside for more than 10 minutes at a time : ( Well you do give me hope...if spring has hit florida we should have your temps in about 4 months..hee hee .

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I WISH IT WAS SPRING HERE
DIMMER

Thumbnail by Dimmer
(Zone 1)

Wow, that is a lot of Snow .... don't know why I thought all that cold, white stuff would be pretty much done by now. Guess it's cause I live so far South and forget about winter. :( Sorry ... I sure hope you have sunshiny, spring days before long!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have never ever in my life been this tired!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL) I was up at making chicken salad for lunch for the judges today ..................so much fun but we ran out of all plants to sell at 4:00 this afternoon so when we open at 10:00 am we are all bringing more plants out.

I am taking a lot of streps...............they can be replaced...............I didn't enter a single av after I saw the others (LOL) but I did enter 2 hanging baskets, 5 streps, 1 full 5" container pan size of Koellikeria erinoides 'Chopada dos Guimaraes, 1 chirita Tamiana, 1 Sinningia hatschbachii 'Iporanga' and I got all blue ribbons on those. The erinoides won first place in its' class of 'other gesneriads grown for foliage'. I think that is what is was called. It included the episcias and some more things. It is all a blur to me but fun.

Have to be back in the morning to take the streps and anything else I can find to sell for the club.........plus there will be a vendor from Victoria with only african violets but I bet she has some pretty ones as she is a professional vendor.

Here is a plant I bought that I am so excited about and had to send the picture directly to Jan the minute I walked in the door late last night..........It is called Sinningia 'Gabriel's Horn' and ready to bloom any minute.

I have to admit that this was my first show and I had no idea these ladies grow so well. I mean.........they put me to shame.........but this is how I will learn more and better how to grow.

I hope Sally doesn't care if I tell you how well she did in design...........hope I get this right.....she got a blue ribbon in design with floating design and a blue ribbon in her terrarium with first all over place in that category.

Here is my favorite baby that I found. My other buys were a couple of minis to die for and some episcias only because they were priced so well so I just have to try again and they were beautiful. One lady in the club does all the episcia growing for the shows and sales.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
South, TX

Gail, I need to look at all of the plants you brought. I saw some, but didn't look closely. Kept talking to everyone. It was fun. I had to leave to rest, but it was so nice to see you again. I will be back tomorrow. WOW, you all ran out of plants to sell!

The lunch was nice.

I am looking forward to see what ELSE gets brought. Also, to Jo's Violets.

So sweet to mention me Gail. I got mixed up on the one design but the others did well. I had no idea what I was doing. Will be more fun next time.

Congratulations! I bet the club is so happy to have you with your plants! Everyone has their own favorites. I have a nice amount now, so many I can have some to show next time. I am so happy with my new little guys. There are two that I cannot read the names of though. Not sure who's they are. Sharpy pen rubbed off. I will have to bring them to a meeting or maybe tomorrow to be id'd.

See ya tomorrow. I took lots of pictures, they all turned out nicely.

(Zone 1)

Oh Gail, I didn't realize the show was today! Congratulations on your Blue Ribbons! I knew you could win with some of your Beautiful plants, and I'm so glad you decided to enter them!

Ooooh ... I look forward to seeing the blooms on your new Sinningia! I am going to hopefully order a couple of Sinn's in the next month or two! The only ones I have so far are the Micro Mini's pusilla and rio das pedras and I love them. Can't wait to get one or two of the standard size ones! Which Episcia's did you end up getting? If you get any good growing tips regarding Episcia's from the lady in the club, I hope you will pass them on. I have really taken a liking to Episcia's!

Will look forward to you posting tomorrow night to tell us how the 2nd day goes and whether you bought anything else! LOL.

Congrat's to you too Sally! Did you enter your underwater design's that you posted photo's of the other day? They were really nice and I bet they were a big hit at the show. You will have to post a pic of your terrariums! I bet they were great. It sure sounds like it's a big show ... would love to attend a large show like that some day. We have a small garden show here in town every year (coming up in March) and our local AV Club does show a few plants but the club only has maybe a dozen members and usually only 5 or 6 show up for meetings.

Well, if they let you ladies take pictures at the show, I sure hope you will be able to post a few for all of us to drool over! Spring is right around the corner and I know folks are getting antsy for Blooms!

Have fun tomorrow!

South, TX

Here is my underwater design, it got a blue ribbon, it did ok, but they didn't like the pink flower with the foliage. I like it, ha. They wanted smaller rock too. It is my first time, all judges are diff. too.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

This is the one that was in the wrong category. I am a goof!

South, TX

Here is my terrerium, the lid is off in this pic. See the panda bear? It was a circus theme and I put him in there.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning Friends :)

WOW Gail, you sound like you have been a busy busy lady!
How exciting the show must have been for you.
Congratulations on all the blue ribbons ladies, I'm SO proud of all of you.
I would LOVE to go to a show like that someday, it must have been SO NEAT!
Gail, I can only imagine how fun it was for you! Your table must have sold out in an hour.
Did you take more pictures?
SOMEDAY I hope to go to such an exhibition!
How Awesome!

Sally, I love your terrariums and arrangements, very creative.

Gail, you must be exhausted my friend *lol*! I'm SO glad the show went so well for you. It sounds like there is more today? I hope you have a blast!

(Zone 1)

Sally, I Love all of them! I guess with judges you just never know what they are looking for, so many different tastes. I really like that terrarium! Your choice of plants looks perfect for that bowl and the Panda is too cute! Great Job!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin and Kim,
I did not enter an african violet of any kind though........I got scared when I got there Thursday and saw what the other avs looked like!

About the episcias, Judy told me that she grows all of them in some kind of container.....those you pick up for a 1.00 at Hobby Lobby. When they are babies she puts them in this double plastic dome and bottom to get started. Then she moves them up to these vases..........

Look how long the runners are on this one and the name is missing, but judy can tell me today. She knows every single one of them by name instantly.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This one is ready to go into some type of container......Moss Agate is her name and she blooms bright red.........a beautiful color foliage

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

This is episica 'Silver Skies' and this is how she starts all of hers...................not a bad buy for 2.00 eh??

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

Oh, Loving those Episcia's!! $2.00?? Wow! That is a Super buy! Can't wait to see your photo's as these plants grow and bloom!

Have a great day at the show today!

We are having a dreary, rainy day here today but I can't complain since the temp's are still in the low 80's. Hubby will be at the University all day today - it's Parent's Weekend and he's busy meeting with parents and attending functions for students & families! So, I am just being lazy today and playing with plants out on the deck!

( Kim) Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Sally
I thing all your picture are just great and very very pretty so you and Gail must have been very busy to get ready for this show. I really love the one in the water alot did you grow it in there or was it just for the Show its really great

Gail you worked really hard on your's also > yor must have great pictures to.

I went last year to my first show I was there on Saturday By 12 and nothing but a few things were left so I was disapointed I drove 60 miles 1 way
Congrats Ladys
Dimmer Kim

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok.....ladies........I am now trying to keep my sense of humor. I am posting more streps that I am taking since people are begging for them.

I would also like for you to see my kitchen and what i will be coming home to late this afternoon.....I don't have time to clean up as I have to get ready to go back as soon as i get off this computer.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

same picture from a different direction
I just remembered i don't have the sticks and tags on them yet (yikes)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I need a little sympathy with my two days in the kitchen (or was it 3 days)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

wanna help?

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

All the leaves I had to cut off these streps so I could stick them.......and not be left without plants.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.