Anything Blooming? Part III

South, TX

I had a few to spare. I took one from this plant from my hubby for Val. Day. He would flip out if I took his orchid flowers, ha! He loves them. I do too.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

pretty container of orchid, Sally!

Tomorrow Lin, I need for you to help me with two baskets........I never know the botanical names and you are the best at it. They are common ones of two different lipstick plants( I think) that are blooming.............

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Beautiful Cymbidium Sally! Mine didn't re-bloom for me :(

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Beautiful streps Gail!

Sally that orchid looks beautiful in the water.

(Zone 1)

Not a Gesneriad but I found two Cyclamen plants at Wal-Mart last week for $1.50 each. One had white blooms and the other had buds, I assumed it would be white as well. Ended up being a lovely Pink Cyclamen! And, I LOVE Pink!

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Not a Gessie, but I've been working out in the yard today and found one of my Gardenia bushes in bloom. Pretty flowers that smell heavenly but they have thrips (at least I think that's what it is) little teensy black critters crawling all over the flowers ... Ugh!

Well, I'm heading back outside to play! Hope everyone is having a glorious day!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the fragrance of a gardenia more than any flower but i can never get the soil acidic enough for them to thrive. What is your secret, Lin?

I have been sitting on the floor and cuttings labels for plants all morning.......back to the computer and make more labels. I can't find any listing anywhere for Chirta kerrii which i bought as a starter plant in Austin.............have looked in all gesneriad reference sites...the leaves are fuzzy.....and soft

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Gail, are you positive it's a chirita?
I found this and it looks VERY similar:

http://www.gesneriads.ca/petroc12.htm

(Zone 1)

Wow! It does look like that photo of P. kerrii but it also looks similar to Chirita 'Keiko': http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/130180/ and here: http://www.gesneriads.ca/chirit51.htm

I thought all Petrocosmea's had small tight foliage - that one is really gorgeous, I would love to see the flowers, I wonder if they look anything like the Chirita flowers?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Do you know what?????????? I bought that baby in Austin at the sale last fall and she is a petrocosmea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I couldn't find any information on her! Thanks so much.............Lin......the only reason I know she is not Keiko is because I know that one.........but I have to ask for more help.
Thank you both as I keep trying to identify plants I have to mark.

I am going to post two pictures of each of 3 baskets and ask you to please help me identify............first is this one........she has no blooms as she is young
Next I will take a closeup of the foliage for you

I

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

the backs of the leaves are red and you can see the red on the front, too

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is the second one although you can't see any of her blooms in this.......
Now I will post the blooms on the second photo of number 2

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

here are her dark red blooms......the sun is shining on this making it not look like such deep red
No. 2 plant

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is a straight down view of basket no. 3 ............you can't see her blooms either.........will show you in next pic

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

here are the blooms on number 3..........thanks gals!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

#1: I don't recognize
#2: Aeschynanthus, possibley A. 'Crispa': http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/112681/ or possibly A. 'Mona Lisa': http://66.83.181.250/HEG/Varieties/ShowProductDetails.aspx?productid=177
#3: Nematanthus: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57656/

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, you are sooooo nice to help us with names all the time. Thanks.....
Here are some begonias loving our cool weather at night.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Begonias will stay nice until July hits and then............droopy droopy

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

i grabbed these when I went outside to get the other pics.......will add to the blooms tomorrow.......thanks again, Lin!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
South, TX

I have two of those cute goldfish plants. One one each baker's rack. I LOVE them!!! Your pics are good. I have not taken close ups of that yet, just the lipstick plant.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

hello, Sally...
I have been on the floor all day cutting and taping labels for the plants!!! And.....I am not through yet. Will be doing the same thing all day tomorrow I am afraid........

South, TX

WOW! I can't wait to see your plants!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lower your expectations, Sally (LOL)..........we don't want you looking at the sales table in dismay!!!
((()))
gail

South, TX

HA! I don't think I will be disappointed.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Gail,

I THINK basket #3 is Nematanthus "Magnot" as that is what I have mine marked that looks like that.
I don't recognize the others though.
VERY beautiful!

(Zone 1)

I keep looking at the first two photo's and that foliage sure resembles impatiens except for that variegated foliage. Sure wish it had blooms!

Could it be a Columnea? I remember one with variegated foliage but can't remember the name of it.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am wondering if it is Columnea 'Early Bird' if there is such a plant...........going to plant files and look, Lin on that first one.

Kim, I will look at Magnot also in the Nematanthus, also

South, TX

Two more underwater arrangements. Fun to make!

South, TX

One more...

(Zone 1)

Beautiful! I love the Azalea blossom in that first one! I also love the variegated foliage stem with it ... what plant is that from? What a shame those can't be preserved forever like that ... really pretty!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You do know, Sally, that those can be made permanent with that stuff you get in Houston ...............it dries that way and never loses its' color..............Hobby Lobby might even have it..........can't remember the name of it.................

South, TX

Well, I have seen that but I like changing them. Maybe sometime I will do that. They have that acrylic water at craft stores.

The variegated stem is from one of my Snow Queen bushes. The azaleas are both the same, one of two Encores that bloom EVERY day of the year!

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Lin- I thought Impatens too when I saw the photos of the mystery plant. The Nematanthus looks like one I seen called N. Candy Corn which is of course a common name probably not a cultivar. But I keep thinking gregarious for some reason.....

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Diane, that first picture is Nematanthus gregarius...................

(Zone 1)

Not blooming but I found this at Home Depot Garden Center yesterday. It is another Exotic Angel plant labeled Columnea variegata. It's not the variegata though. Anyone have any ideas? The top of the leaves are dark green almost to brownish. Bottom of the leaves are a burgundy. Can't wait to see the bloom and then maybe get a positive ID.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, I am no help at all...................it is pretty thouh.............how do you tell the difference in the leaves between columnea and aeschynanthus???????? I never know............

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

What is the deal with dave's being so slow today??? Anyone else notice?

I was going to show Lin the value of covering an open area with poly (6 mil). But since I am here, I will show you how ugly it makes your house but it does work..........My plants look like we didn't even have winter.

I will only show a few plants..........pics that I took today for Lin.........
first the ugly house with poly (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I keep the end doors open for good circulation............(it is a normally screened in front porch)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Now I will just show a few plants to show you that they didn't even know we had freezing nights.........just a couple of space heaters.........during that time. I kept the temps no lower than 50 degrees all winter....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

All the many begonias are blooming!

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.