Are ya'll ready for S-N-O-W?part 4

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Everything is ice this morning!! It now rainning/and freezing rain mix
DH just got back from the store and said our road is solid ice and hard to drive on.
The steps and sidewalk are ice too. spring rains(lol) trying to think positive ;)

My mators have sprouted!!yes I may start another batch at the end of this week

Going to watch the Daytona 500 today and pray that Dale Jr wins!!! go 88!!!!!!

off to read..........

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Our drive and front yard are lakes!! If this freezes, we'll never get out tomorrow!! YIKES..

Rain continues to come down. We already have 3 inches in the garage (no drain in there either) What a stinkin mess!!

I do have my seed starting materials all in the house, so I'm going to be busy working on that and ignoring the weather.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Morning Or shall I say "GOOD MOANIN"! Boy you sure know your in Michigan this winter. It seems
as if we USED to have winters a lot like this one in my youth. Lots of snow! I mean what the heck IT USED to be fun!! Get the ice skates out, the sled..remember??
I walked a mile to school everyday in sometimes knee high snow!! I never drove a car until I was out of high school so i remember EVERY snowy day!!! LOL!
Ok IS this Winter like the old days or ...What do YOU all remember??
I am only in my late 50's but my mind is STILL pretty clear. LOL!
Well I see Dori has started seed. WOW i guess i better get planting!!
Chat at you all later!
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Good afternoon Michiganders!

It's almost 2 in the afternoon here and still raining. I've heard it's icy everywhere but we haven't ventured out. We're being slugs today. Hubby is snoozing in the recliner pretending to watch some bowling on TV. Mom has a cold and is passed out in her lift chair. The furkids had a time trying to manuver their way back to the door this morning. Instead of staying on the pavement they ran out in the snow and then got stuck in the bank and it took a lot of coazing to get them back over the hump and to the door. They were soaking wet.
I hope this mess all clears up by Wednesday. My husband's brother died and the funeral is downstate on Wednesday morning. My son is going down with us and my daughter in law is going to sit with my mom. It will be down and right back up here. I hope the roads are dry and clear.
I was at Walmart yesterday in Tawas and they had a stack of those portable greenhouses with the zippered plastic all around them. There are three tiers of tray space I think. I forget now. Anyway, they had them makred down to $19.95 so I threw one in my cart. I might start some seeds after April and just keep this thing out on my deck up next to the house. It's on wheels. I thought it was worth the price. Would be good to put flowers I buy early into till I can plant them after frost. They can get sun during the day and you can zip them up at night.

Don't go out if you don't have to. I bet the ER's are full of slip and fall cases. I know there is lots of flu going around as well.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

oh yes there is lots of flu my poor 19 year old daughter has it... inner ear infection and red raw throat.... man she hasnt bee this sick in eons!!!! actually had a 101 temp. she had to go to the e.r. were we work cause our docs office wasnt open on sat... hope she is feeling better soon. i dont like to see them sick still. sorry to hear about the brother in law, Loon... praying for good raods for you all. my husband come home at 3:00am he said the roads were so icy... glad he made it home okay:) the 18th is my oldest daughters b-day can not believe she will be 22. what a bout the price of groceries couldnt you just cry evertime you walk into the store??? i do not know how any one with kids can afford to buy anything. im glad i had no more little ones to buy for... feel sorry for anyone who does. oh i just had to rant and rave for a second... im over it now...not really lol. have a warm afternoon Ronna

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

boy i wish they had tose wheeled g.h. on clearance at our wallyworld i dont even think ive ever seen them around here....

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Sorry your daughter is ill Ronna. My 92 year old mom has a bad cold too. I took her to the hospital on Thursday for some tests and I guess someone must have coughed on her. I'm watching her closely since it can go into pneumonia so easy at her age. I hope your daugher is feeling better soon. Glad your husband got home OK too. I'm so glad my husband is retired now and so is he. Whenever I ask him if he's glad he doesn't have to drive those semi trucks in this mess he just gets this big dimply smile on his face and says he sure is happy. You can see the relief on his face. His favorite channel on the TV used to be the weather channel. Now he doesn't care what it's doing outside cause he doesn't have to go out in it. :)

These greenhouse things were way in the back in their garden department. I had spotted them before up against the wall on a big shelf but the price was $40 I think. I just passed on it. Now with the price half off that I decided to get one. They had about 15 of them I think. They had brought them into the store and had them in the aisle by the checkouts to get rid of them I guess.

Brenda

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I went to walmart.com and put into search greenhouse under lawn and garden department and they have it in stock. They also offer other greenhouses by mail they don't offer in the store. Here is the link to the one I bought.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4875460

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

its still raining here boy was it fun going to work this morning and wouldent you know it I havent seen a deer in months soooo one jumps out on the road this morning I'm glad I was going slow!!!!!!!!! her little feet were just sliping and sliding it was kind of funny watching her cross the road I'm glad I'm home the roads arn't any better but the sun is trying to peek out
hope every one gets better real soon!!!!
Gloria

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

It was raining most of the day, but now the sun is shining. I hear its suppose to turn cold, so the road will become the old slip and slide again. *sigh*

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

thanks for the link loon....to bad they arent on clearance on line, but still thats not a bad price either...i'll have to think about it...i keep forgrtting that walmart has a web shopping site :) its pretty big isnt it? Ronna

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well hello All,
it must be a good day for buying greenhouses!! I went over to Craig's List and Lo and behold and ( Excuse me I am still disbelieving this) a guy on there is offering 28 tinted 7'x4'x 1/2" thick thermopane glass from a demolition of a green house extention on a Big Boy restaurant. He wants 100.00 for all!!! I still can't believe my luck! I bought them over the phone!! In the morning i will see them and pay for them!!
I have wanted a green house but the cost just got halved!!! By picking up all the glass panels for this small
price!! I can't believe it. I just called my carpenter and he is going to design me one using the panels so I can go to my city hall with the plans!! Oh! i am so excited!!! I was dreaming but 10,000-25,000. was a little out of my plans for the NEAR future!! This way i can probably do a wonderful 8'x30'x10' on the whole side of my house!! I am feeling it!!! I hope you all are have a great day too!!
Julie

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh Julie I'm so excited for you I have wanted a gh for so long good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

way way cool! great job julie
and yes i remember the winters of old!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow great thing for you julie im excited for you....i cant tell you are excited at all!!!! you are practically screaming over the internet!!!! i would be too..

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Nice thing to do yesterday. Planning a garden. Anything but being outside.
I put on my yak traxs and ventured out with the camera in the pouring rain.
I did get some fair pictures. It was rough walking with the deep snow, slush and heavy rain. The dog even wanted to go in!

I was happy to see the rain relieved the trees of their ice burden, didn't do anything to help the ice rink in the yard though.

DH said roads were pretty good all the way to Bay City this morning, so that is good. Glad we didn't have to go anywhere yesterday.

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks All,
I will post pics of my build on that green house. I am so excited!! I am going now to get half the glass. I will have to make two trips!!! well see you all here later!!
Thank You all for your good wishes!
Julie

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

I took my son to his drivers training at 3:00 PM. It was not too cold out, things were just wet. About 4:00 it started snowing and blowing and you could feel the temps dropping. By 5:00, when I picked him up the roads were terrible-solid ice! Any faster than 35-40 mph and you slid.

I had a van in front of me going pretty slow-thats OK, I don't mind, and I stay way back when its hazardous out. The big four wheeler SUV drove behind me, of course is right on my bumper. Man that ticks me off! He can see the traffic in front of me-am I supposed to plow everyone out of the way for him? He must have had a little Alero on his fanny, because I looked out my side mirror just in time to see it pull out to pass him and spin out right next to him. At least the truck backed off me after that. I have no use for pushy drivers that believe they are better than everyone else on the road, and somehow exempt from the laws of nature. I don't care how many wheel drive you have-water covered ice is slippery!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

holy cow!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad your all right and home safe now I hate icy roads have a good night and stay warm
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Julie, I'll look forward to seeing pics of that greenhouse project. You were very lucky to get the glass for it so cheap. I guess it had your name on it that's all.

This morning the schools here were cancelled again due to icy roads. Everything icy on the back roads the buses have to travel on to pick up the kids. Poor kids will be going to school till July to make up for all these snow days they've had off.

My favorite radio station 96.1 WHNN was off the air this morning. I thought there was something wrong with my radio but I couldn't get them on the computer either. I even emailed the showhost and he emailed me back saying their antennae went out as did the backup generator. They're back on the air now though. Whew! I sure wouldn't want to have to look for a new station to listen to again. :)

It got up warmer this afternoon and the pavement dried out nice. Had to run to Walmart pharmacy to pick up antibiotics for mom that her doc called in. Thank goodness she's on medicine now and I can relax and go to the funeral on Wednesday without worrying about her.

It was snowing a lot on our way back from Walmart. Not sure what it's doing out there now but I can hear the wind howling. What a winter. I'm ready for the hootie hoo call for Dori day after tomorrow.

Take care all.

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, it sure turned cold yesterday late afternoon. We got about an inch of snow. DH was late coming home because of the roads. Now that is saying alot because it is the first time this year he has been more than 5 minutes late due to roads. He said there were cars in the ditch all over and the ditches were full of water. He saw one big pickup with a large enclosed trailer that jackknifed and flipped. He said it was bad.

I sure would like to see pictures of the greenhouses too. Maybe a new thread for the new greemhouses? I think it would be fun and learn how to set one up etc.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow lilmac im sure glad you are okay sure seems like they wouldve cancel the driver training?? but you neve know...
today here in plainwell we are really getting "hammered" again!!!!! it hardly stopped snowing overnight...
man will it ever stop???/
will it ever stop????
will it ever stop????
okay i know im repeating myself!!! but isnt everyone?
well my daughter went to work today i dont know if she will last all day or not still not feeling very good...
the dog doesnt even want to go for a walk he is not "begging" with his beautiful eyes!! you know what i mean if you have a doggy :) have a great day stay warm and safe!!! Ronna

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

You know, it was sunny and fairly nice out when they started out . Two kids in the car, and my son always goes first. They each drive for an hour. Justin said it was just starting to snow out in Imlay City where they were driving, when he switched with the second boy. Man did he get lucky. The instructor did end up driving back-the roads got bad just that fast.

Two hour school delay today. They have missed so much time in the past couple weeks-they are going to be making it up until July, if it don't quit this nonsense soon, lol.

Freezin cold out-I am keeping close to the woodstove today!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Lots of drifting everywhere, but the boys had skool. I know its very slick out there with the ice under the snow! Dayme slipped on his way to the bus-poor kid! I think we have one more snowday they can use. But did you see the temps for next weekend-36!!! spring! (LOL) I bet its going to start getting warmer after that(slowly) I kinda keep track of the weather as the yrs go by and on 3-13 its been really nice for a few days around then! Hope it stays to that pattern! Either way im busting out of here soon. I may start to organize the GH and chase out any mice that have mad a home in there --grrrrr! Sharpen up the tools-itchin n twitchin to get started "OUTSIDE"(ok in the gh where its warmer)

I found a site today for chocolate flowers-oh ya i had to order a couple thingz!!
I also will be doing a co-op for Hosta soon :) fun timez
I already have so much ordered im afraid to look...co-ops great dealz to be had and i just cant say NO.

My dad trained me to drive on ICE before i ever took drivers training. I mean he trained me good too-70mph on solid ice saying "pass him thats why i got 500 horses under the hood" so i did!
But I can outdrive most men. He could judge distant better than most. We passed cars so close I could reach out and shake hands!
I have trained all the boys (my 5)to drive and park and change a tire check the fluids.
I only have 2 left and kegan is now 14 so.
Only 1 of the first 3 boys drives like my dad and I. Good luck to all the young drivers out there.

RAMBLING down memory lane I was my dad was something! :)

The fed ex man was just here- i got my new diecast cars and shirt-yahoo
opening the box........cool cool one for me and one for DH! I got him a matching shirt too
Dale jr #88

thinking spring

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well it sure is cold again this morning.
Oh I have read your posts and the ice sure is a problem. The freeze/ thaw cycles if they keep up here through the early spring can wreck all kinds of havoc on our homes and plants!! Oh I don't like seeing a pattern of this kind!!
Well went to buy my windows yesterday. I could not look at all of them. I just had to cross my fingers and hope. The guy stacked them up against a tree in the yard. They have rubber around the windows and that rubber had ice firmly sticking many of them together and the size of them was making it too difficult to cull through them one by one. SO I took a big chance but..I figure i will have a lovely home addition green house, or if they are not in good shape I'll have a YARD greenhouse!! I guess I just could not loose so I bought them mostly sight unseen. I go to pick them up this week end. We shall see!!
Well I am off to check out the news here. Stay warm.
I have my garden club and MSU Master gardener mo. meeting this wed. and Thurs. so I am making soup, 3 kinds of cookies etc...
I am on hospitality this Month!! I'll be baking and checking info here today all day!!
Bye stay warm and I'll have a coconut/raisen crispy cookie for you!!!
Julie

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

We wound up getting about 3 inches of snow overnight. Hubby has already been out plowing the driveway and shoveling by the back door. Got his blood sugar down to a good 110. ha ha ha. Now I tell him all the chores are good for his health and he gets right on it. I wonder how long this will last. ha ha ha

I just put some corned beef and cabbage on. I'm getting in practice for St. Patty day. I love this dinner but hubby isn't too keen on it. I just have to have it a couple times a year anyway.

Dori you are going to have an awful lot of planting to do come spring. I'm done except for veggie plants I'll get in May. I want to pre-dig my holes for my dozen rose bushes before they come. I'm hoping they send out some kind of email to let you know they're on the way. I want to take my time and dig really good holes and maybe amend them a little and have them all ready for the roses when they come. That way it won't be so much work on one day. I want to go to Home Depot and buy all my mulch too. They have a really nice fine mulch I like for top dressing.

I hope you are right that spring is around the corner. I am ready for it for sure. We're driving downstate tomorrow for my brother in law's funeral so I pray the roads are going to be dry and clear sailing. Wer'e going down early and coming back same day. I have to get back to tend to my mother. My DIL is sitting with her while we're gone.

Stay warm everyone and think Spring! Remember tomorrow is hoodie hoo hoo day or whatever Dorie calls it. ha ha ha ha

Brenda

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness. We're at 145 replies to this topic already. I'll start a new one. Check for the new link.

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I was just out and about. Some of the roads are just wet, some are terrible. The sun is shinning and seems warm, then the wind kicks up and pelts you with blowing snow and ice pellets.
I did get everything I needed. Now I can stay put for a while again.
I am such a hermit.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

New topic at this link.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815429/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.