Blooming in February

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

hey y'all just got back from a youth trip... noticed the redubuds here are blooming

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Deb, I'll have to look for that one next year. My plant budget is already shot for this year. LOL I've been verrrrry bad.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

well while you are were snapping pics of your gorgeous flowers popping up I snapped this photo Friday morning while at a trade show at myrtle beach LOL

Thumbnail by rednyr
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

very nice!!!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

debinsc - wow your iris is awesome upclose - what clarity!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Your plant budget for this year is gone already?? LOL. I guess you get right on it in Jan. I'm a seed wrangler this year, have to see how that goes. Don't think I'll be buying much. Still don't have a good grip on annual flowers so that's what I'll be up to other than trying to not kill my seedlings off.

Rednyr, did you go to the Landscape Hort show in MB? I am so jealous.

Core, my plant budget runs in the red all the time much to DH's chagrin. LOL
I have this addiction for the tropical hibiscus and not just the plain old ones I could get around here; I seem to be compelled to pay huge shipping charges for the more unusual ones I find online. :-((((

Thumbnail by ardesia
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Those are not cheap. I go down to Orlando every once in a while, wonder if there is a good place for tropical hibiscus there?

Another business idea. Weeds of the South and tropical hibiscus. I mean "Exotic Delights and Unusal Tropical Hibiscus". EDUTH, LOL.

I've notice Bottle brush trees seem to be expensive now. Remember back in the spring when someone was complaining about their prices? Did they get popular or is something else going on? I know around me the price has jump a lot especially for the 15 gallon ones.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ardesia - yes I did! 7 hrs of non stop drooling for me...LOL Displays ranged from the fantastic to the mediocre but since I am new to alot of trees/shrubs it was important my boss said to go...I got to see my son who attends Coastal so that was a very nice added bonus! I have so many ideas floating around in my head right now it's amazing I can even type LOL

Oh Red, I am green with envy....

Core, this place is a bit west of Orlando. His plants are are younger and less expensive but he has most of the good varieties and his plants are healthy.

http://www.hibiscusplace.com/

The old standards that we find in the big box stores root well from cuttings but the fancy hybrids do not (cannot) develop good root systems so they have to be grafted onto a sturdier plant, thus the extra cost.

Clemmons, NC

ardesia,

What a beautiful flower! Breathtaking!

I have some Lenten Roses (Hellebores) blooming right now, but I don't know how to post a picture!

Pat

I love Hellebores but they haven't loved the heat or perhaps the salt here. :-(((

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

My hellebores aren't showing any sign of blooming this year for some reason. Drought? Or they just got tired of being trampled by the pups!

Ardesia: Absolutely gorgeous hibiscus!

This is the only new thing blooming in my yard today. My camellias finally woke up.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

My camellias are unusually late this year too; that one is a beauty Deb.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Ardesia, I'm just blaming everything on the drought. It's my all-purpose scapegoat. :)

LOL, it probably IS the cause of a lot of gardening troubles this year. DH says I sound like an old farmer, always complaining about and blaming everything on the weather.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

3 of our 5 our Hellebores are blooming at work so hang in there - you'll get blooms yet...give them a boost of phosphate to get the blooms kicking...

debin..I had my white camellia bloom in december and my rose colored one opened up about 6 blooms today (they were here when I bought the house and considering their size - rose one is 8' tall and about 10' wide - I have no clue which ones they are other then color) but Cam's really are a big boost of color just when you need it aren't they...

oh ardesia - they had some of the coolest looking varigated hibiscus at the show...if you don't have any like that let me know and I will go thru my brochures to figure out which vendor had them...

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Phosphate. Got it. Will do! Thanks, Rednyr.

Thanks Rednyr, I do have several variegated ones. I've been collecting them for years but recently I have gone overboard it seems. I have been fortunate in leaving them outside during the winter but this year I got scared and brought a bunch into the house and what a mess. Funny, but the potted ones I left out were not fazed by the cold; the ones in the ground (including the variegated ones) did lose their leaves so it will take a while for them to bloom this year.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ardesia - oh my I bet your yard is a heavenly site when they bloom! and just for the record....there is no overboard when it comes to flowers...or is there? lol

Clemmons, NC

deb,

Beautiful Camelia! My pink one has big buds, but the ones that were already open turned brown when we got the last freeze.

red,

You are right, there is no such thing as going overboard with flowers. The more, the merrier!

Thumbnail by adoresaiken
Clemmons, NC

OOOOH!

It worked! I wasn't sure I was doing it right! I wanted to post a picture of my Hellebore! (It looks blurry when you click it).

Pat

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

ah your lenton rose is so pretty! hurry up spring..I can't take it anymore LOL my boss told me to stop rushing it...I know it stinks to work outside in the heat...but I said spring not summer LOL

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pat: Ooh! Pink hellebores. Love 'em.

Rednyr: I spoke too soon. I took a closer look this afternoon, and my hellebores have buds. There was alot of new growth hiding under the old growth that got hit by drought and freeze. :)
See?
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

very nice i have those also i moved them last year and hopefully they will actually blossom:)

This message was edited Feb 13, 2008 8:15 AM

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Yay Deb! very cool, so glad it was hiding a surprise for you.

Guess what I did yesterday at work - ate some popcorn and bit a kernal and now I have half a tooth...grrrr..it stinks getting older and you start falling apart...literally LOL

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Here's a few for today.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

This camellia was a little late this year.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Caroline jesmine

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Tea olives have been going for a while now.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Neighbors azaleas are confused. No idea why she planted some many of the same color but it's pretty intense when they all bloom.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

To give a better idea what they look like.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

My roses are coming back, all new leaves.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Last one, resident ducks.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Oops this is the last one. Cassia leptophylla that I started from seeds last summer. Put in a bigger pots and they're growing again. Need them to grow about 3 ft this year. LOL.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Clemmons, NC

Thanks core,

I love your flowers and your ducks! Seeing the new blooms and growth makes me feel that Spring is almost here!

Pat

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Core, such a pretty pink camellia. Ours were late getting started, too.
I see you have resident Muscovy ducks. :) One of "ours" is sitting on eggs under our azaleas.
Deb

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow very pretty corehhi!!!! love the carolina jasmine:) sure it smells wonderful also.... thanks for the very ice duck shots also we actually have those kinda ducks here too!! they used to wonder around milham park when my children were small. really interseting...Ronna

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

First yellow narcissus to open for me.
"Carlton", I think.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

very pretty, do you hear the ooows and aaawwws?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.