need name

Humansville, MO

any one know name of plant?

Thumbnail by ellesgh
(Zone 1)

Looks like Callisia fragrans http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54577/

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I agree!

It's funny - just a few short years ago barely anyone on the internet forums knew what this plant was nor owned it.
It sure has been popping up on the forums a lot recently!
(Must be lots of trading going on!)

(Zone 1)

All I know is I LOVE it! I got mine from my first trade with you, Nan. It has grown like crazy and I have taken a couple of the pups and potted them up. The large basket is blooming but I detect no fragrance.

I just went out and took a pic:

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

I uploaded a photo of the smaller pot to Plant Files a few days ago. I need to try and get a good photo of the larger basket. I'm going to repot it next week!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

So yours did finally bloom for you?! Woohoo!
Mine bloomed a short while ago, and I didn't detect any fragrance either, though it's written that the blooms are fragrant?!!

(Zone 1)

A couple of the smaller pups have bloom stalks arising from them too! Everything I've read says they are fragrant but so far, I detect nothing! Mine are out on the deck so maybe I will check this evening and see if fragrance is more obvious late in the day.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

ellesgh: So sorry ... looks like I've hijacked your thread! I get to chatting about a particular plant and don't know when to stop!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have never seen this plant but it looks fun in a basket...........

(Zone 1)

Yep, it's common name is Basket Plant! I uploaded a picture to PF a few days ago of a small basket and I'm going to repot that large hanging basket and take some more of those pups off. I really like this plant although someone told me it would take over if I put it in the ground here in Florida.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I will send you that new philo with all the yellow in it if you send me a pup of that. I love it!
I sound like a horse trader on Dave's site (LOL)

(Zone 1)

Gail, I will send you a few pups of this plant! Hey, I don't have any horses to trade ... never been on a horse in my life but love the critters! If I had enough property, I would love to have one as a pet! LOL.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

You let me know when you have time because i have some goodies for you.......if I have several pups I will get a plant going in a hurry. I am very excited!

(Zone 1)

They should grow real fast for you Gail cause your weather is so similar to mine. I will mail them out tomorrow!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok........and yours will go out Monday as I will be gone all day tomorrow...........fantastic, Lin............

(Zone 1)

Maybe I should wait until Saturday or Monday to mail so they aren't sitting in a P.O. somewhere Saturday night and all day Sunday and Sunday night!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

good idea.......especially for a small town like Taft............we can do it on Monday then......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.