So tempting.......

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

So if you plant them in a container it dwarfs their size? Any I'd have to bring them inside in the winter, I guess? Just trying to make a wise decision if I buy a truck load.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

My biggest one was always in a container and was multi branched and over 5 feet tall.
Tammy, would you consider running a co op on this? If not, then I can try to. I work about 50 hours per week but could do it after work and on weekends. I just couldnt respond in a timely manner.

(Cathy), MO

I would love to join, but am concerned about when they would be delivered. It probably won't be "safe" weatherwise here for another month or 2. I'm sure there will be a few safe day windows scattered in between cold spells, but that would be alot of trouble for someone.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They shouldn't be planted in too big of a container..they don't like to be wet, very well drained. You can either leave them in the pots over the winter or just yank them up and lay them on a shelf...they just go dormant.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

You mean take them out of the pot, shake the soil off the roots and store them like a rhizone? Do you cut the stem down to the ?crown?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Cat, by the time we gathered all the orders, payments, etc , it would be a month or two before shipping commenced. And I know Chris would be more than agreeable on the shipping date so that the colder climate people could participate.

(Cathy), MO

Then I'm in too! Thanks rylaff!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

No hesitation there, Cat! LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes...I have alot of plumerias..and the green house is packed..so I just pulled them out and layed them on a shelf...When it starts getting warm, they start growing leaves laying right on the shelf.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

If he could wait for a couple of months to ship that would be better for us northerners, cause the temps right now are just too cold and unredictable. I would hate to lose them to old man winter.

If he can wait I want in on this for 6 of them.

I suggest that all of you who have questions about suitability for your climate etc. have a look at the sticky thread on the plumerias forum. These are fully tropical plants but you can store them in the winter when they are dormant and bring them out again in the spring.

From what I count above from people saying 'count me in for 6' etc. it looks like we're getting through about 50-60 here. We would need a lot more people.... is anyone crossposting on the plumerias forum? I mentioned this thread here today.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh I'll hold the plumies here for you kiddies... ;)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I think once the word gets out that plenty will be interested at that cost. :)

rjuddharrison, are you in charge of this coop then? Or was that tongue-in-cheek?

Just thinking - if this is getting serious you may want to post on the co-op forum.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Whoever's doing it, count me in for 3 of each.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nooo...was just offering to hold them in a warm weather climate...buaaahhhahaa

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I would be in for ten of each color. That would be forty right there. It seems like it is going to take a lot of people to get that 500 minimum.

post in the co-op forum? then it will go quickly I'm sure for that price.
Tammie -weren't you going to take charge of this?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

rj, you can hold mine if you get them started and growing til they are pretty and ready to bloom then you will have to bring them up here to me, please.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh certainly...I'll rent out the neighbors back yard (that's bare and I've wanted to landscape for years) and have a plumeria orchard, with all of your names on them, and then you can just check them out like a book in a library....actually we have an orchid service like that...You pay xx dollars a month and when your orchid stops blooming you just go trade it in for another one that is...Now for most of us gardeners I think we find it appalling..I know I did.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

How could they, that's like trading in children.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

OMG, how dare they!!! I love all my plants, so couldn't imagine just trading one off that I have cared for and nurtured, especially those that were half dead when I got em!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Yeah, easier for us to get rid of spouses than plants!!! Lolol!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

rofl, it would be easier, I agree on that.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Yeppers, I have worked harder on getting my plants than I did DH! LOL

(Cathy), MO

After I checck with a couple of friends, I will probably bump up my numbers too

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Good idea, I will check with a few of mine too.

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I would not mind doing this as a co op if people are willing to send in money and wait until the warmer weather for shipping. The large number would make it time consuming to get repackaged and shipped and I do work a full time job. I understand the minimum order is 500.. with 4 different colors.. I don't know which color would be most popular but I have heard reds are most difficult to root. Maybe 100 of each color and a second 100 of the most popular color.. whichever that would be. ( my preference would be pink). I have lost about 10 of my rooted plants already this winter.. one reason is my cat decided some of the pots would make a great litterbox! I did not discover it until it was too late. I was wondering why her box did not have much in it but thought she was being considerate and doing her business more when she was outside with her pet dogs... yes, she thinks of them as her pets. They are her guardians from neighboring cats when she is outside.

Tammie

Reds are slowest to root (not necessariliy hardest); if you are thinking of re-selling yellow and pink are your best bets. Somehow few people want whites (whereas I am very fond of my whites).
Here's a yellow for your delectation.

Thumbnail by
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i would like in. i love plumies

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Regarding shipping times, these are being cut in mass for a ship date of February 25th. They can be held for a couple weeks safely, but I think if they are shipped much past that, we run the risk of them getting too dried out.

Perhaps Clare or another Plumie afficianado can chime in on how long it's safe to store a cutting before it needs to be planted.

Chris

Over the winter they are ok to rest for months (I have cuttings from November in my garage); now that spring is coming they will want to wake up, though, and the risk of them drying out is indeed great after appr. a month to 6 weeks in my experience.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

It sounds like they can be safely shipped to the host, on the week of March 10th, and begin the turnaround the week of the 17th, pretty safely. I don't recommend going much after that.

Chris

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

ok... i just found this, but i'd love to be in on it if we ever get enough people to purchase

OK, I am going to put up a thread on the co ops tonight to get some numbers so I can determine if this is going to be possible. the cost will Probably end up about $1.30 each cutting plus actual shipping to the individuals. this will help cover costs of packing individually and supplies.. (I use tape to secure each box.. USPS is not delicate with them) I will also have to individually mark each cutting as to the color... paint markers will probably do. How does that sound?

Tammie

Can't get the thread up until late tonight or early AM tomorrow.. have a hockey game to attend.

I was thinking a small markup would be correct for the person taking on this task. $ 1.30 sounds good to me. Still a bargain.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Sound good to me, Tammie.

Well, I did check into how much it will cost to have them shipped in bulk to me... looks like between .10 and .14 per cutting or $10 to $14 per box of 100 cuttings.... so, I really did not "mark up" much.. tape is expensive. LOL .. have you checked out the price of packing tape lately? .. giggling here.. Guess I better get my computer at home hooked up really soon! Using my laptop right now and it is not as easy to work with. One more thing to get done this weekend.

I also figure.. if I can't get the DG'ers to buy them all, I can always root some and sell them on e-bay! LOL

Tammie

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm in!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.