Pictures Chat ull in Rain -Tropical and Subtropical garden

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

I thought I'd start one for everyone for Pics and Gab and chat, whatever, so here's my pic in CA after the rains (or a break in the action).

Thumbnail by LApalms

a couple more-

Thumbnail by LApalms

and lllllllllllllll

Thumbnail by LApalms

2 more....

Thumbnail by LApalms

last last.....

Thumbnail by LApalms
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pics!! Looks gorgeous out there!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Loved the pictures of the snow on the mountains, the first one is especially pretty. Mahalo for posting.

G'day LA :) thanks for the invite ...wow, they are some kind of views you have there,I bet you could tell a lot of stories.
The things you must see and have seen.The mountains are just lovely,I have never seen real snow, but I am sure hearing a lot about it.I hope you have an early Spring ...stay warm and thankyou for the great pics, just like the movies :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the pics LA! Redondo is still as pretty as I remember! Where was that 3rd one taken...I have been trying to place it...that much open area should be easy to identify, but I just can't.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LA..what gorgeous pics!

Thankyou all. Island, the 3rd is from the new Hahn park in the Baldwin Hills/Fox Hills area. This is one of the last great open spaces here and is becoming a great park with trails and gardens.

Here's some more I didn't take-

Thumbnail by LApalms

This is in Elysian Park, overlooking downtown and Dodger Stadium-

Thumbnail by LApalms

Beverly Hills with the real old Canary Island Date Palms and Washingtonias-

Thumbnail by LApalms
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Aha! You said "new"...Yay, my memory is not as bad as my DH says! Ha Ha. Great pics - this last one is just begging us all to watch the academy awards...doesn't it look like its beckoning us in?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It looks like a natural version of the red carpet. lol

Hi Crissy, I'm a bit slow, noticed you said to keep warm. It was 83f yesterday and they said it will be 86 today!

You are kidding me mate ... we are lucky to be hitting 65F most days here ...the coolest Summer (also the wettest) ever that I can remember ...I have to wonder what Autumn will bring ...the sun has been missing and the sky is always grey ...usually so hot here and bright blue! Even the tourists have given up!
Well if you are up in the 80's sheesh ... what sort of Summer will you get? ...no wait I know the answer already ...perfect palm weather right?
chrissy:)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Beautiful photos!!! What is Chat ull? Did I miss something?

That is my skillful typing, I have no idea what the "Ull" was. It made sense but now I don't recall what I was saying. Chrissy, we had the coldest January since 1979. So we deserve a break. Normal temps are 70F high to 50F lo, in Jan-Feb. Nice even numbers, easy to remember. The good news is weve already got 12" rain (season July 1 to June 30) it all falls in Oct-mar/April. Last years total was 2.30"! That's why the fires were so bad last fall.
San Diego Zoo Botanical Gardens-

Thumbnail by LApalms
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh how I love the SDZ and all things associated with it...especially the botanical gardens! Having lived in SD for 10 yrs...well, needless to say I was a "Member" of the zoo through my family, and we spent a lot (now I actually mean A LOT), of time in Balboa Park. Pretty much the only thing I miss from San Diego. Great picture!

Hayward, CA

Hey,hey,..the S.F. eastbay area made it to 71 yesterday!..Well,at my home it did. Strange winter..mild lows..low highs and rain created a real danger for the succulents. 'Firesticks' was doused!..almost lost it.
I think you meant a "lull" in the rain. Happens to me all the time...

This message was edited Feb 27, 2008 11:45 AM

Hi Bay Area! Yesterday it was 85 and today around 83. Were being paid back for this rotten winter. How goes the Philos?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

In the first picture, do you know what kind of palm trees those are? They are beautiful.

Hayward, CA

After Dec and Jan, LApalms,71 and the same or better for today feels like a wonderment. 83 and 81?..cant wait..even if it takes 'till May here!(could happen next month-ya never know)
The Philo? i should have left low.I raised it up to a higher sun area feeling the spring warm coming on and that last wind and rain storm did some leaf damage. It's just cosmetic..the stem is strong and the tip is fine. And the leaves are still there -just dont look as nice. I can tell you for sure that the other species you see for sale,like emerald queen and fiddle leaf would be long dead by now. 'Black cardinal' and that ilk are in another league.

JRudd, they are King Palms.

Thumbnail by LApalms

J Rudd, that's Archontrophoenix Cunninghamiana

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks,
I think I'm entering a palm tree phase!
Rj

Oh, Harrison
The GREATEST phase of all!! Palm trees. (IMHO) My permanent phase. Google "Jungle Music".

Thank you Bay Area, You're a genius. It's "LULL" in rain! Mystery solved.
I was in the hospital again, nice to be back, and to hear from you great prople.

LA hope you are ok ...are you ? ...we have had the coldest wettest Summer season ever! Now Autumn is here and the sun has arrived! same temps as you! ...stay well mate!
Ah the Bangalow palm (that is what we call it here) is one of the best and Rj palms are a wonderful phase! I bet you are run off your feet about now ...roll on Spring ...I hope it is wonderful for you all ...some of the Winter stories are dreadful but the gardeners coping with ice and snow never cease to amaze me!
Have fun.
chrissy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm still getting the hang of growing them though..
I have betel nut palm and chinese fan palm seedling growing right now.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Randy - palms are glorious tis true, but I can't see you giving up your incredible flowers!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't see me giving anything up! :)

Love my flowers love my palms why can't we have it all?
At the moment I have foxtail palms coming up ...know anything about those Rj?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I do have one, a lovely palm..very suceptible to cold...doesn't like anywhere around freezing..it's the first plant in the garden to get wrapped up like a mummy when freezing temps threaten. Other than that..I'm just muddling through..it's survived another winter..

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, Randy. Just planted a palm that I brought back from Maui today. Truth be known, it will not flourish in my garden. Maybe just dig it up when you are here. Will get the tag for you tomorrow.

Christi

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oohhh....mmm...aaaahh....

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Hard to read the handwritten tag. Here goes: chambeynnia macrocarpa

Purchase it at :TropicalGardensOfMaui.com only I was at the nursery.
If that isn't the correct spelling, maybe you can tell from their listings. They wrapped several things and certified so I could bring them back on the plane.

This has to be yours. Of course, you know how big it is, if it came home in a box. About 16"s.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow..tropical gardens of Maui.!

I have to email you...those days I put in for were turned down. I can re-apply for them 3 days out..doesn't help much in the way of planning though. Also I'm borrowing Waynes truck, and not sure he can do without it for 4 days..although I will leave my auto for him..we still have to work on that one.

My computer is crashed too..down for the count shopping for a new one when we have time.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh no!!!! Can't be. Surely not. Please let it all work out. Many are looking forward to meeting you and Mike and I are anxious to visit a little longer than before. I do understand how everything always happens at once. Will be praying that it all works out as it should.

LouC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.