Will Phil see his shadow? (Seventh annual DG poll)

There are a total of 398 votes:

I'm guessing Phil WILL see his shadow
(175 votes, 43%)
Red dot

I'm guessing Phil WON'T see his shadow
(129 votes, 32%)
Red dot

I'm not guessing
(74 votes, 18%)
Red dot

I don't know who Phil is!
(20 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Unlike the northern states, we have a majority of sunny days in Florida and I bet it will be sunny on that renowned day as well.

This is my first ever "First Vote" on the voting booth so couldn't resist having a word to boot.

Molly
:^)))

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I'm guessing 2 and 4 because I dont think Phil knows what a shadow is or what all the hoopla is about :-)

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am not guessing, cause where I live, it is gonna be 6 more weeks of winter anyway. Why ask Phil?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Someone please buy him a blindfold, I am ready for SPRING!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'll happily buy the poor fella one of those "beauty sleep" total darkness masks if it'll ensure he doesn't see his shadow or anything else!

Hebron, KY

I voted that Phil will see his shadow. With all the lights on him, how could he not see his shadow. ;-)

Marilyn

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Are you talking about Dr. Phil??

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I can't guess because I'm not comfortable with risk!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I argee with Terry... Phil is beautiful creature groundhog....

(Zone 1)

I voted that Phil will NOT see his shadow ... just hoping for an early spring for all of y'all in the frozen north!

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I WANT him to not see his shadow...but I think he probably will...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

victor,

Not Dr Phil, Punxsutawney Phil the PA groundhog. If you don't know who Phil is, you should watch the movie Groundhog Day; that's the most entertaining way to get introduced to Phil.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I wish they would leave that poor creature in his nice warm bed.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Hope he won't.... think he will.... ~sigh~

:)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I cheated and checked the Punxsutawney weather forecast...AM clouds predicted for Groundhog day! But I know that far in advance the predictions probably won't be right, so I probably should have guessed that it'll be sunny and he will see his shadow!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I just know we do not want a repeat of last year!

We had really warm weather , real early and then had a sudden late cold snap/ freeze in early april that killed or injured a lot of plants/trees and took out almost all the fruit crops in our area.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2008 9:41 AM

Holden, MO(Zone 5b)

My brother in law was born on Groundhog Day, they named him Paul, can you believe that!!!!!

Maybe that was Phil's brother who manage to stay out of the public hoopla and went fishing that day.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL Linda!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I HOPE he will see his shadow!! Bring on the snow! We never get snow like we had yesterday.....what a great time with the kids!....and no school today!

Thumbnail by mgh
Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

mgh, I LOVE SNOW, TOO!!!! It's the only time my garden looks absolutely perfect!!! And no bugs!!!
I voted "I'm not guessing" b/c I can't stand those furry varmints that we call woodchuck. They've made it impossible for me to raise vegetables- they can get to anything I'm growing and eat it. Plus, they aren't cute like other garden-raiders, bunnies and bambis.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I don't know, I think it would be kind of fun if Dr. Phil was pulled out of bed by a bunch of tuxedo clad men wearing top hats and forced outside to see if he had a shadow.. His wife might not appreciate it tho...

(Zone 1)

Savagegardener ... Wow! You had a freeze in April??! I guess I've lived in Florida so long, that seems really amazing to me!

mgh: Love that picture! Such a cutie ... the little guy and the snowman too! I think it would be so much fun to play in the snow and build a snowman. Maybe I will get the chance to play in snow someday, hopefully before I'm too old to move (and I'm getting there fast!)

Ticker: I will be thinking of that scenario all day and laughing! I think it would be funny if Dr. Phil's wife, Robin were to have the tuxedo clad guys come to their house and rouse Dr. Phil out of bed and outside to see if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow!

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't know..... I don't have much faith in a scrawny rodent-like mammal..... we have Wiarton Willie, the Canadian version of Phil.....

me, I trust the potatoes....

when the potatoes start to sprout eyes in the storage drawer, I know spring's on it's way....

when the sprouts reach the top of the drawer on their way to the garden, I know it's time to plant.....

I think they can see the calendar from the drawer......

trust the potato!

p.s. the potatoes are just showing teeny eyes!

happy spring!

(Zone 1)

LOL drivenbonkers! I have potatoe's sprouting - I guess spring is beginning way down here in the south and heading north!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I did not vote, I have heard of Phil but did not know which meant what, so I just abstained. I don't trust a rodent with that kind of responsibility anyway. ;~)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

What happens if Phil tests positive for drug abuse and is disqualified?

;-)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

He'll get his own talk show.

Johnson City, TX(Zone 8b)

If he tests positive for drugs, could we really trust
what he's actually seeing? It might be a flower covered
VW bus or something...he might even freak out if he saw
a shadow! oh no!

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

More likely that we'd freak out if we saw his shadow....

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

The weather is never the same here as it is in Philly. So it makes no difference to me.
It is kind of like 6 more weeks of winter or 6 weeks till the last frost.
First day of spring don't come any earlier or later. It always gives one last cold blast after the first day of spring. Very rare if it don't.
So I'm not guessing.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Never heard of Phil........................................ must be because I am English!!

Nova, OH(Zone 5b)

I chose not to guess. Think it is stupid that if he sees his shadow hmmm SUN LIGHT! we get 6 more weeks of winter and if no shadow CLOUDY and likely COLD then its spring!??!
Who decided this tradition and why is it backwards????? I like to think it opposite so I hope he sees his shadow and spring comes faster!

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

I kinda figured he'd see his shadow...................I thought he did last year, too. But that didn't make much of a difference anyway...................it's cold for the next2 months here. Oh well, more time to plan my gardens out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Phil's been a pretty good fella, hasn't treated Michigan to badly. Let's hope the poor boy doesn't see it! I'm ready to plant.
>>>elf

Thumbnail by elfenqueen
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I figure he'll see his shadow. If he does (or doesn't) and you don't like his answer, you could always check on the Eastern Canadian groundhog, Shubenacadie Sam (Shubenacadie is close to where I am originally from), or Wiarton Willie (the Ontario groundhog). Sometimes they give me an answer I like better!

sydney, Australia

ok now i know who phil is! us aussies are a bit slow y'know
i

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Not much time left to vote.......
Here is Phil's site for those who want to know more. http://www.punxsutawneyphil.com/

Champaign, IL(Zone 5b)

I don't really care one way or the other, as long as we don't repeat last year. Last spring broke my heart, trees in bloom, everything covered with new spring leaves.. then BAM!!! -5 for nearly a week. pretty much lost a years growth on most everything that managed to recover.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

What ever happened to Jimmy the Groundhog? He was from Wisconsin, I think..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.