Help identify this ...Zoysia?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought this grass (one rectangle) 2 years ago from a local specialized nursery (Big Red Sun in Austin, for those who live here) for 18. Yes, it was horribly expensive, but I add this for ID purposes. I put it in the container you see here (has one hole in the bottom, plus I placed rocks in the bottom) with a jade plant that died last winter. It has been outdoors the entire 2 years...in full sun. I water it when I think of it.

I called BRS today and they said it's "Korean Lawn Grass" but when I look that up, I find that most of the Zoysia turns brown in winter. This has been green for the entire 2 years and didn't freeze last year during our 3-day ice storm. AND it never turned brown. Perhaps the biggest mystery is that I have NEVER "mowed" / cut it!

Can someone ID it for me? I"ll post a close-up next.

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I want to buy more to plant in a back area...between stepping stones. When I bought Zoysia for the area you see in the background of the first picture, I thought I was getting the same grass, but it's been brown for months now. I naively thought there was one type of Zoysia. Duh.....

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

P.S. Brutus the cat thinks that patch of grass is his tufted bed...with built-in barf capability! :-)

(I would have just edited the prior posting to add this but I learned last night that we have a maximum of 5 edits per day and then we're cut off for 24 hours....and I'm not a great typist! )

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

There is more than one type of Zoysia, true. Other than that I can't tell you what exactly it is. My zoysia has turned brown and gone dormant. It is El Toro Zoysia that I have.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

From everything I've read not only does Zoysia turn brown in winter, but it is 1st (of the usual lawn grass varieties) to do so and last to green up again in spring. The people I know who have Zoysia all seem to love it but all confirm that one of its major down sides is that in early spring when the rest of the neighborhood is green their yards are still brown. It is also supposed to grow very fast such that it often has to be mowed 2x week which doesn't seem to match the growth seen in your container.

Even though I agree that you will probably have a better chance at finding the answer here in the Grass (specific) Forum, you might also try posting in the Plant ID Forum.

Good luck! I sure hope you are able to find an answer for this question because I, too, would love to have some of that grass!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I know. I kept asking the guy who sold it to me (well, 2 years later) if he was SURE they only carried the zoysia and he said yes! This grass has already had a freeze or 2 on it..AND it's in a pot, for crying out loud! Can you imagine? I thought things froze /turned brown faster when in a pot??

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I would start taking small plugs (2 or 3 from the corners to start with) and move them to separate containers. When you get several going good, transplant them to your yard and let them spread. You may never find out exactly what type you have there but you should be able to spread it around.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Good ideal!

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

okay, no idea on the grass. But just wanted to say your kitty cat is so darn cute laying on there,like it's his bed.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah...why didn't I think of that? haha And it's wanting to spread...is hanging over the sides! But I still can't believe it's 2 years old (will be this spring) and that's all it's grown!

Red...thanks for the comment on Brutus...my "grandchild"!!! He's just so important to me...the one only I allow to "ruin" my plants and wallow around in them! :-)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I wanted to add that we had freezing weather 2 times this past week....lots of things finally froze and are looking sad (just leaves...I'm sure they will come out in spring), but this grass is still green!!!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Wow Connie! You need to start propagating that grass and sell it! Can I be first on your waiting list? Just kidding--I'm 57 and have 5 acres. I would be pushing up daisies well before I could get that much yard covered. I'll just have to keep my bermuda grass :-( LOL--the things we do for our fur babies! Mine are all spoiled rotten.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nature...I'm beginning to think perhaps they did sell me something that is NOT Zoysia.....???

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Connie,
Have you tried running a search for "evergreen grasses?" You never know, you might just find your grass that way. I've figured out that you have to get real specific (or real lucky, lol) about running a search and have to find just the right combination of words to get what you're after.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Do you mean on the PlantFiles?

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

I would just do a general internet search. If there is any info about it on Plant Files, it will bring that up too.

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

I truly know nothing about grasses, but could it be a type of acorus? Not long ago, this caught my eye at a nursery and yours reminded me of that.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54900/

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I think mine is finer than that one I saw from your link. I'm still puzzled over it! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.