Herons...

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

The weather has warmed up, so the fish are more active now and coming up to bask in the sun around the edge. Doggone herons....before I had koi ponds they were my favorite bird.... It was a pretty big koi too, so I hope he didn't just drop it in a neighbors yard somewhere. It was probably 12-14 inches.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Just had a Master Gardener class today on wildlife. Heron problems were a hot topic. According to the wildlife officer there only three ways that work consistently. Net the pond for at least a two week period when they begin to migrate into your area - or crisscross the pond at narrow intervals with fishing line. The easiest method is to tie red and white strips of reflective mylar to stakes in one or possibly two places (more if a large pond) so that the mylar flutters in the wind. The stakes have to be moved to different locations or the herons begin to figure out that they are not a threat. I'm trying to find a source for the mylar.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Couldn't you just buy a couple of mylar balloons and cut them up? Or, I've seen mylar ribbon sold at places that sell the mylar balloons, too. Might have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

I, too, have lost many fish to herons. Herons are territorial, so I bought a fake, life size, looking heron and placed it by my pool. This fake heron has to be moved now and then to "look real". I also bought a long, screened tunnel and placed it on the bottom of my pond which is a perfect get-away and a hiding place. These have been in place for over a year and I have lost no fish.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

More good ideas! We've made more "hiding places" for the fish, too. Thanks!

A few months after we got our pond in a blue heron got all my fish. I purchased a plastic heron decoy (at the pond shop) and move him around different areas of the pond every few days. Haven't had any more problems. I understand that herons are very territorial birds. Good luck.

Virginia Beach, VA

bump for netting design

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

I live on a lake so I'm surprised it took 5 years, but herons finally found me too! I've lost all my larger fish. I'm especially disappointed that the herons got my golden orfes. I haven't been able to find any place that sells them anymore. Although I hate to lose any of my fish, I refuse to net the pond or do the fishing line treatment. I guess I don't like having anything detract from the appearance of the pond itself. I have had good success with a motion activated jet sprayer. I now only lose fish when the sprayer is accidentally left off.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Songs, I am sorry to hear that you have lost some of your fish. I remember how very beautiful your pond is. How about some new pictures? We are re-doing our little tiny pond here in Colorado... it will become more waterfall and less pond. I think we'll be having no more fish. It's a little too heartbreaking for me. Unless I change my mind.

Brenda

Virginia Beach, VA

We played golf in one of the 23 clubs that we had played few weeks ago and a lot of the homes back yards had pond less water falls . The designs were all different and enjoyed the sight. Happy ponding!!!! Bellie

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Brenda! I haven't taken many new pictures. I think I may have posted one from last year on another thread a couple weeks ago (but since you asked, here it is again :)

BTW - a pondless stream is a great option too if you decide to go that route. I remember you had a huge pond in the desert, right? I'm sure whatever you decide to build will be wonderful!

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So, so beautiful!!! And yes, we had the big ponds in the desert. Can't wait to see what DH Tony does with this one!

Phoenix, AZ

Dun, dun, dun.................... :(

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

OMG! Is that for real? At your garden? Get the fishing line up!!!

Phoenix, AZ

13 years in this house and have never seen one. Completely freaked out! My pond is really difficult to get in and out of, deep, sides straight up and down. Surrounded by foot high metal lattice to keep the pups out. Hopefully he realized it was not going to work. If my dear little Spike was still with me he'd take care of that Heron :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow. I hope it realizes it can't get at your fish also. Scary.

Virginia Beach, VA

Bump for a friend who wants to check my original pond cover

Virginia Beach, VA

bump

Lewes, DE

I also have had heron visit my pond even though I live adjacent to the Delaware Inland Bays which are full of fish. I have the heron decoy. My heron thinks its a lunch date. I bought a pair of gator heads this spring. The only things they are good for are conversation pieces and a place for the fish to hide under. I put up netting only in the fall because I live in a wooded area and that helps with keeping leaves out. The ONLY thing that I have found that works is a fountainhead on my secondary pump. I aim the spray to go diagonally across the pond. Heron do not like to get wet so this keeps him from getting into the pond. My pond has steep sides but has a raised plant ledge in the middle. He likes to land on that plant ledge, but with the fountain running, he doesn't even try. I'd rather have the beauty and noise of a spray of water than an net. Good luck with whatever solution you think may work for you. Ponding is a never-ending learning experience.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 8:21 AM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My first pond is 5 yrs. old. Heron was on yard fence looking down into it and I ran out and shewed it away. Have metal fake one right at that spot. They are down back of our pasture near canal and thats ok but he had better not come back up in front yard now that I have 2 ponds with koi in them. We have what is called great blue herons and they are beautiful but they can lunch someplace else. I have netting because of leaf drop. Both ponds are under oak tree so significant leaf drop in fall. Husb. had right idea. If he ever comes back pop him off and stuff him and put him out near ponds. Lived in our home 43 years and there always has been a few around here but didn't matter until I started bldg. ponds.
I'm not bragging but so far have never lost any fish due to predators. Lost enough to different deseases sure don't want herons too.
Bsavage, sure hope by now you are rid of herons.
Bonnie

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Try this: my DH carefully painted a plastic flamingo to match the blue herons here . We placed it by the pond and no more visits, he moves it about once a week, so far all of the fish are safe. the real one, circles and squakes ut does not land.

Columbus, OH

We too leave our net up for a few crucial weeks in spring. We've found that after a certain amount of time the herons do not pass by our area again for the season.

Also we have created a rock shelter beneath the water for the koi. We used two tall rocks and one large, thin, flat rock on top as the lintel. Think aquatic stonehenge. ;)
It works great and they really seem to like it. You just need to make sure you pick smooth rocks because the koi will try to pack themselves into the shelter like sardines and they can hurt themselves on sharp surfaces. If you don't feel like constructing anything, a lot of pond supply companies sell something called the Koi Castle which also works as a shelter.

I also have felt like shooting the herons when they swallowed 4 of my koi in one landing, but it's worth noting they are a protected species (at least in my area) - so no heron taxidermy allowed. One year the jerks even toppled all of my floating planters so I had to try to vacuum aquatic soil off the bottom of the pond!

Athens, PA

Corsetiere

Do you have problems in the fall as well with the herons? Seems like that is when I have seen them. Our problem is that we live between 2 rivers so the herons fly from one river over the the other river.

Columbus, OH

Yes, they do make their way past our house in the fall again (I've seen one on the roof of our garage) but they have not caught any fish in the Fall. We usually have our net up in the fall due to leaves. I think the fish seem to be less wary in the spring and more susceptible to predation.

I was honestly shocked to see our first heron because our house is in a very urban environment but I guess since the Olentangy River is fairly close, it is still appealing to them.

Sedona, AZ

Never in a gazillion years could I imagine such a thing as a Heron in the high desert of Arizona. Thankfully I was already a (recent) member of the water gardens forum when our first "culprit attack" took place a week ago last Tuesday.

I went out to visit the Koi before I left for work. I didn't even notice him 'til I was almost at the pond & suddenly, this monster bird takes flight from the edge of the pond. I was in such shock/panic, I started screaming at the top of my lungs (sure that some of our eleven dear aquatic children had just become this behemoths breakfast.....). First my spouse ran out of the house - Then my spouse had the same reaction - and also began screaming! In a matter of moments a neighbor ran over, assuming we'd become victims of a home invasion, she arrived to do what she could to help. While she was relieved that neither of us were being bludgeoned to death, as one of the Koi is her namesake, she too was horrified as we WERE victims of a "home invasion" of sorts. Thankfully, my spouse is a landscaper & can name their own hours........We were also extremely fortunate, as we did have "pond netting" over the area where the Koi are. We had the netting to discourage raccoons and like critters. Again, neither of us had ever conjured a problem such as we encountered that awful morning.

Our neighbor and my spouse immediately used some "portable porch shades" that the neighbor had on their back deck as an interim measure. Given the size of the heron's bill, it was clear that the net would not provide any real protection from the Heron - That bill would puncture the netting w/o any real effort on his part. What the netting DID do for us was that it gave our Koi a little time, as apparently the netting did pose a momentary confusion to the Heron. Also, maniac me must have arrived on the scene very close to when the Heron first arrived. For as we later found out, we did not lose a single Koi. While the spouse and neighbor were working on our "interim fix", I ran indoors & got on the computer assuming I would need to post a new thread titled "Heron". Imagine my surprise, when I saw not only was there a thread already established, how many others - (Yes, even in Arizona!) had similar & in most cases, far worse experiences. I will try to upload a couple of snaps of the "permanent solution" my spouse & spouses' worker spent approximately one and a half-days on building. It may be difficult to tell from the snaps, however, they are six individual "panels" that they built they lay across the top of the pond. We take one panel off when it's just us wanting to feed the "kids" and hang-out and enjoy them a bit. (Though the screen is just large enough on each panel that the 1/4" Koi food will pass through it.) If we are having a large gathering at the house, we will take off all six of the panels - but that is a lot more work, and putting the panels back on after depleting much of one's energy after a full day of backyard entertaining, can become an issue.

However, as I suspect most who subscribe to this forum would agree, if you are not willing to invest both a bit of money and even far more energy, more than likely you have no business getting into ponding, to say nothing of acquiring Koi.

Bonita10

Thumbnail by Bonita10 Thumbnail by Bonita10
Athens, PA

Bonita

So glad the heron did not get any of your koi. It is a real horror when one goes outside and sees a heron. It happened to my husband and I as well.

Sedona, AZ

AZRENO & FishKnees - Now that we have our "ultimate defense system" against the Heron Menace (& other critters) we would like to get more Koi in the not too distant future. Are there any sources of good Koi in State that either of you are aware of/recommend?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonita,
Your panels are a wonderful idea. My husb. wanted to do same thing. I have bird netting but I don't like it cause it's too flexible. I am thinking hardware cloth stapled to ea. panel with hinges that could be folded back when time for feeding or viewing.

1 heron cleaned out 1/2 of my small pond and was looking into larger pond at big fish luckily I happened out there 1 morning about 7AM. He was so brazen I had too run toward him and chase him off walkway. He is no longer living so if anymore take his place they will get the same thing. I would like to have a system similar to yours for the tremendous amt. of oak leaves I get in pond. I'm sure it would help. The oaks keep the ponds cool which is very important here as we get really hot summers and that causes oxygen drops. So far I haven't lost any fish from it.
Glad you got your problem solved.
Bonnie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlantic-Pond-Protector-9-x-12-Frame-Protective-Dome-Leaf-and-Fish-Netting-Kit-/370947619990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565e337c96

Atlantic Pond Protector 9' x 12' Frame Protective Dome Leaf and Fish Netting Kit | eBay

I've looked at these for a long time. It would help with my leaves and camphor berries when they start to drop. It would help with herons too. Looks easy enough to put away when I don't need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370657918394?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I'm also thinking about ordering one of these arch brackets, and using PVC pipes to make my own net tent, which I think would be cheaper than the above (but the above is less work!)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Those arch brackets would be good for my smaller pond as the sides are rock and very irregular shaped. Thanks for sharing that idea. It could be made high enough to still be able to get into pond to work on plants or treat sick fish.
I'll double that bird netting and sew it tog. and maybe it will hold leaves out this time.

Schedule 40 PVC should make strong stakes for the sides.

It's great we share all our research.

Happy Ponding
Bonnie

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

We have given up and closed the pond, Our ages and the feathered pests it it for us. Last summer at one time there were four of them, fish dissapeared, then the ducks came and turned the pond green, and after all of that, we developed a leak, thanks to the herons walking on the liner.
Our local pond guy said I should "shoot them"(the herons). Believe me it was tempting. I miss the pond but I dont miss the "WAR".

Athens, PA

Anabelle

That really stinks.

Carolyn

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Annabelle, maybe you could just pot up some plants and have a water garden. I've seen some that were really beautiful but no fish. That would be a lot less work. I'm 77 and still doing all of yard work plus taking care of ponds. Gluten for punishment but I realize someday I won't be able to do it. Hopefully that's where my grand boys come in. One is almost 16 and loves the fish. Helps his dad and I work on them often. They have some large fish in my pond so don't think they would loose their fish soooooo they will have to take over taking care of them. Right now I am able to do it all thank God. Regarding herons my aim isn't bad either.
Only had 1 visit and he/she ate 1/2 of all fish in small pond. Larger fish he didn't touch but that's probably cause I happened to walk out next to pond about 7:30 1 morning and he was gazing down into it when I shoed him away. If he could carry one of those big fish out of pond he would have a difficult time. Sides are straight and he couldn't wade in which is what they prefer.
I have serious problem with leaves. Bonita on other thread has an arrangement I would like to build. Panels that fold back and should work best. My leaves went through bird netting last year so it didn't help much. Will build something better before next fall.

Good luck to all on stopping the herons and hawks.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Maybe I should knock on wood before saying this but I have never lost a fish to a heron at my present little pond. I always keep at least 75% of the surface covered so the fish are not so visible from the sky. It would be with lily leaves in the warm weather and some kind of floating plant during the colder months. As insurance I have a piece of clay chimney flue pipe on the bottom of the pond so the fish could swim in there to hide if necessary. Interesting part is that there is a rookery within 500' of the pond, Great Blues, Whites and Wood Storks abound here and there are usually dozens of young ones.

Now snakes are another matter. :-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.