Show your Summer Annual Blooms

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have seeds from Irish Eyes and Prarie Sun. If I search long enough, I should find some Becky. They are all my own open pollinated ones so what they'll look like is anybody's guess, as shown above. If you want some, email me.

Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

gemini_sage: OK, I found some Becky, too, if you want some of those. Dmail me.

Karen

Richmond Hill, GA

Viola. The fragrance is wonderful. My favorite viola.
Arlene

This message was edited Apr 2, 2008 9:38 PM

Thumbnail by cattjovi
Richmond Hill, GA

Another,

Thumbnail by cattjovi
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Violas, cattjovi.

I love the subtle coloration on the first photo especially. I think they are the same ones I have in the garden...perhaps they are called "Etain"?

I love all those rudbeckias, too. I couldn't live without them in our garden. Hope they come back or reseed this year.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Cat, Pretty! That's the kind of pic we don't get to see when we buy the seeds or plants.

I ran out to look at mine. There is nothing there! I have a feeling they didn't make it, but some of the regular native violets are barely getting started, so maybe i need to be more patient.

Thanks for posting...

Suzy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

tabasco: Quite a few of my R. hirta look pretty good. Parts of them stayed green all winter. Some were lost, but more survived than I expected. They were wintersown last winter, so this will be their second year.

Karen

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the confidence builder, kqcrna. I've been out there inspecting the garden soil looking for some sign of life from them but they are pretty dormant/dead looking to me. I shan't give up quite yet, though!

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Heavenly Blue morning glories....I love them...and plan on having them every year.

DeeS

Thumbnail by DeeS
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Fantastic! Those are sooo pretty...how many plants, or did you just put out a pack of seed?

I love the Arbor thing - what is it? It looks like an arbor you walk through but there is an extra support. I am looking for designs I can use here, that's why I am asking.

Suzy

Deer River, MN(Zone 3a)

Very pretty Heavenly Blues!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

A bunch of stuff for the summer @ Lisa's

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

My zinnias are at their peak. These were "volunteers" from last year's crop. Doesn't get any easier than that!

Thumbnail by erdooley
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Love those colorful zinnias!
Lin

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Dale_a_gardener, the shrub with red flowers?
roberta

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Roberta, It is a Florida native, that is the dwarf form and if my life depended on it I still wouldn't be able to remember the botanical name. I will remember a couple days from now, but, I won't be able to remember which thread to go to. Old Timers disease don't ya know.

SD may be a bit too cool for it, not really sure. It doesn't put on new growth in the winter, but, it is evergreen and flowers for months in the summer and fall. Only after the weather warms up does it grow well. It likes days in the 80+ range.

Another photo of a bunch of Florida plants>

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

An unusual annual you don't see every day..

Amaranthus - Love Lies Bleeding

Thumbnail by edder
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I really like it...well, if you remember, let me know! : )

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Not my annuals, but, I will show you anyway>

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

ohhh....Dale that picture really brought a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing...

Of course not all annuals in this pic, but I really love these 4 o'clocks! They are popping up everywhere in different colors!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Fairmont, WV

Have to say I think one of my favorites this summer was the colendulia. They went crazy !!

Thumbnail by lusarytole
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Purslane or Portulaca oleracea to the techincal folks.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I haven't had any portulaca for a while. I'll have to think about adding a few next year.

I did grow 4:00 for a few years which brought back memories of my childhood when it seemed every yard had them. I've given up on those for a while though because I got tired of pulling up all the volunteers. They're still popping up all over, even in the lawn. They also don't really start blooming much until late summer in my climate, either. They sure are pretty though, in all those different colors.

Love lies bleeding grows a little to well for me too. Here's one of mine last year with my 6 foot husband.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

They're always a challenge to keep upright! But they are really cool plants.

My soil seems to grow everything to look like plants on steroids.

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I forget what these are called.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Calibrachoa?

Beautiful, btw.

Karen

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pentas will live over the winter, but, they always look best the first year.

Woodway, TX(Zone 8a)

marigold

Thumbnail by dp72
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Red Bernard Zinnia

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Teddy Bear Annual

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lavender Cosmo

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Burpee Burpeeana zinnia

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Burpee Giant Hybrids zinnia

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Burpee Burpeeana Giants zinnia

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Mainman, those are outstanding photos. The images are so clear and crisp, and the colors are so vibrant. What kind of camera do you have?

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 2:11 PM

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

shebs45,

"What kind of camera do you have?"

Actually, I don't have a digital camera yet. I am currently borrowing my Wife's Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS. I have learned to get decent pictures with it by trial and error. It's little sensor goes nuts with brilliantly lit full sun pictures of bright colors. The colors just bloom and wash out every semblance of detail.

To avoid that, I take pictures in various depths of shade, and try to have a little more light (or less darkness) on my subject than the background. It's a balancing act. Too much shade and digital noise becomes a problem. Too little shade and the sensor saturates and washes out the detail. The only illumination is various amounts of overhead blue sky. My garden is basically just a clearing in a rather dense woods, so I get entirely different lighting effects as the Sun moves to different places behind the trees.

A good digital camera, that is, an expensive digital camera, can take good pictures in any lighting. Since I am as interested in photography as I am in gardening (specifically, zinnia breeding), I hope to scrape together the budget to get a good camera. I'll probably start with an entry level Nikon (the new Nikon D90 looks interesting), but later I hope to move up to a near pro class camera like the Nikon D700. In the meantime, I will continue to use my Wife's Kodak and "watch the sky".

MM

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

One of my favs.

Thumbnail by TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Butterfly vine

Thumbnail by TroubleX2
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the reply, MM. I have a Kodak Easyshare, too (different model). I've been pretty happy with it. Hope you're able to get your new camera soon. Maybe Santa will bring it! December will be here before you know it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

High Bis Cus

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.