Show your Summer Annual Blooms

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

The plants in the middle of this pic are balsam which I love. The only problem is when they go to seed they are pretty ugly. I just plant some two weeks after the first seeding so I can cut the original ones down, then collect seed from the last seeding.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I am glad to know that about Balsam -- I have a LOT of seed (thanks to Ansonfan) and was going to broadcast it in April. Now I know to hold some back...thanks!

Suzy

Oh definitely they are lovely in bloom! Just be prepared for how fast they go down hill when going to seed. They thrive in my clay soil too which is a bonus for any plant! The reds really light up. The pale pink I can live without. I want to try the doubles this year.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Your pictures are all so lovely!! I just can't stand this Winter any longer!!
I've already started seeds...'Magnus' Coneflowers (like I really need more!), 'Collarette' Dahlias, and some Gloriosa Daisies, along with some Daylily seeds.

Here is a photo of my Larkspur bed.

Hang in there, everyone....only 41 days til Spring!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry!!!......that was the wrong photo...I already showed you that one! I blame it on to Winter blues!!!

Here is another one...

Thumbnail by grannyh

Oh I want to try larkspur now!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, that larkspur bed is stunning! I had a few larkspur in this bed with Sonata Cosmos and Cherry and Pink Rocket Snapdragons.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I LOVE Rocket snapdragons! I'm trying some other tall varieties this year :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The knee high Sonata series of cosmos were an extra happy sight last year. The bloomed quickly from seed, about 6-8 weeks. I got the mix, mostly in anticipation of the white ones....of course not a single white showed up! I have a pack of white only coming this year :-)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to grow at least 2 or 3 of these woodland tobacco (Nicotiana sylvestris) every year. I love the way they stand above everything else, and the pendulous blooms put me in mind of fireworks. Kinda makes the garden look like a celebration!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Karen, I LOVE your "this n that" pic! What is the scarlet tassel looking flower? So cute!

One of my "this n that" pics. Verbena bonariensis was beautiful all summer, and kept the garden full of butterflies.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Must have lots this year!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Torenia fortunii proved to be practically carefree for me last year.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Park's Whopper Marigolds in morning sun.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

gem-- your pics are just what I need as a pick me up for my Monday morning Blahs!!

Are those from your old garden or your new garden? (Can't remember when you moved.)

I love those verbena bonarienses too for the butterflies and because they bloom all summer without a care (but I know some folks hate them because they volunteer so readily--of course, that's a big 'plus' in my garden!)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

gemini sage: Sorry, I missed your question. That scarlet tassel looking flower is tassel flower! aka Emilia. The blossoms are very small, that photo was a close up. But they are fire red and grew about 2 to 3 ft, so there are lots of blossoms. Very pretty. I wintersowed it last year.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/658/

Karen

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Verbena bonariensis volunteers last spring. They overwinter here, too.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi gemini !! Your photos are soooooooo beautiful !! The one with the Swallowtail butterfly could be on a calendar....gorgeous!!

Here are some Hollyhocks out by the barn.

Thumbnail by grannyh
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks granny and tabasco! This is the time of year I'm soooo glad to see colorful pics, especially while sowing and ordering seed. Those pics are all from last summer at this garden (I moved here in May). I knew I'd be hungry for first year color and relied pretty heavily on annuals; it was such a joy to be able to grow sun lovers again that I'm now addicted to annuals!

Karen, thanks! I've got to try some tassel flower now. They're so bright, they make a great statement even being small blooms.

granny, that swallowtail seemed to love the camera; it stayed for the longest time while I took one shot after another.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I had a few Osteospermum last year, given to me by a friend with a greenhouse operation at the end of the season. This little visitor enjoyed them too!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Humminbird moth, August 30, on verbena bonariensis

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

I love the little tassel flowers too for fillers. I first saw it a few years ago at the Perennial Garden at Ault Park here. The head gardener told me he likes to use them especially coming up through low verbenas and lantanas to fill in until the other flowers grow in...I plant them with zinnias...His Ault Park garden was written up in 'American Gardener' the AHS society magazine last year.

I hope my verbena bonarienses come back, even as volunteers this year. I forgot to save seed...but usually I get a good show nevertheless...a 'must have' for the butterfly garden, right?!

Are you growing most of your annuals from seed this year? I'm trying, but we'll see...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

If your verbena doesn't show up (which I doubt will be the case), I should have tons by RU time, so not to worry :) I'm doing quite a few annuals from seed; last years success has prompted me forward. I've become so cheap, I typically only buy annuals that I can propagate and keep going, like coleus, geraniums(pelargoniums) and begonias. Everything above except the Ostiospermum were from seed sown indoors under lights. Oh, and the larkspur was wintersown.

Some of the pansies and violas I started last September are showing buds! Next year I'll start them in August, but they were at least big enough in late October to get them in the ground, and have stood up like little troupers. I just realized that while ordering seed, I was so focused on spring I forgot to get pansies for fall.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I bought very few annuals last year, and plan to buy none this year. I am winter/spring sowing all my flowers. The store-bought ones were so much more expensive and the wintersown ones superior quality anyway.

Karen

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I also derive perverse pleasure from having stuff that nobody else in the area grows, LOL. I know I'll see all the annuals from nearby greenhouses all over.

Yes, same here Geminii! I have people who ought to know better come over, see the garden, and ask what the nasturtiums are! LOL!

Karen, somewhere in the annuals forum you have a picture titled "this and That". Verbena bonariensis, Emilia and a yellow drop petaled daisy. I saw it when you posted, but the Neal referred back to it and I took a second look . I have a place for that exact combination, but I can't decide what the yellow daisy flower is. Is it a wild coneflower or a Rudbeckia? Do yo uremember exactly? I didn't want a 6 foot coneflower when the other things are 18-24" tall.

Suzy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree. You see the common store bought geraniums, petunias, impatiens, everywhere. Now a 6 foot love lies bleeding, (well, any amaranthus for that matter, they're all weird plants) emilia, unusual poppies... these you have to start from seed.

Karen

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Susy, I've been thinking the same thing about coping that combo exactly! Karen, you know copying is the most sincere form of flattery, don't you? LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Suzy: It's higher up in this thread. It's Irish Eyes Rudbeckia. Huge blossoms, green eye.

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I liked Prarie Sun better than Irish Eyes. Also has a geen eye, but, oh, the colors!

Thumbnail by kqcrna

Yes, generally speaking I like the Prairie Sun better, too. Tabasco has a picture somehwere that is to die for, but the Irish Eyes looks so good with that combination because it's so airy -- and I don't think the Prairie Sun has the same "look".

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hoping for some volunteers from Irish Eyes, and I winter sowed some Prarie Sun again. Many different ruds nearby, I might get some interesting new looks this year from open pollination. Some still show signs of green, too, so I'm hoping some will winter over for me. And I'm adding some Goldsturm this year.

Karen

Pretty pictures! Planting season is just around the corner! --Just had a flock of a hundred robins in the yard this afternoon. And 5 red-winged blackbirds at the feeder.

I like 'Prairie Sun', too. And Irish Eyes. And what's the other one? 'Indian Summer'? I like that one too. 'Indian Summer' was a real trouper for me into autumn...

I wintersowed the 'Prairie Sun' in past years but I've noticed slight differences in the flowers...

Does anyone know who carries the fattest Liatris spicata bulbs? I want to grow some from really fine fat bulbs this year....

I want droopy petals....I must be the only person who likes them, though.

When I sit and look across at the garden, or when people drive up, the daisies on a flat plane just disappear, but the droopy echinaceas and the double/ruffly/feathered crazy daisies really make a statement.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, I like droopy, too. I love all ruds I think.

In wintersowed dwarf rud Becky in '06 which looked like this

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I harvested the seeds from the one above and wintersowed in '07. Some looked like their Mom

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

But some looked like this

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Some looked like this

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And some looked like this

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Karen, be aware that Goldstrum reseeds heavily, and is reliably perennial. I have them and like them, but am careful where I put 'em. I tossed and gave hundreds of plants away last year.

I love Prairie Sun and Irish Eyes too, and forgot to order any! Rudbeckias make such long lasting cut flowers.

Any of you have any extra saved Rudbeckia seed? (that is, any besides Goldstrum, LOL)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.