Are ya'll ready for S-N-O-W?part 3

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

happy anniversary!!! to bad you have to spend it alone :( what crazy weather. but glad you are being smart and staying home. your husband will understand im sure... he would rather you be safe...good for you splitting the wood do you mean with an axe and muscle or do you have a power splitter??? that is lots of work i wish we had a wood stove they are wonderful!!! we had one when i was a kid and i would crank it so hot... my dad would have a fit. the wall behind the stove would be so hot. but i was warm. :) and thats a great thing. well have a wonderful day. and be safe everyone. Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Our power went out during the night. It's still off. I have a whole house standby generator that comes on by itself when it senses the power is off. Thank God for that. It powers almost everything in the house so we have everything we need. All the schools are closed. The wind last night was just terrible. I thought it was going to blow over the house. It looked like a blizzard outside. We only have maybe an inch of new snow though. All the old snow melted practically leaving the fields somewhat flooded. I'm sure it will all turn to ice.

We won't be going anywhere. I expect my son and his wife and baby to show up to stay with us if the power doesn't come back on. He does heat with wood so they won't be cold. He also has my old small generator but I'm wondering if he has gasoline stored to run it. I always remind him to keep at least ten gallons of gasoline on hand but he forgets. Some prepper. :)

I'd like to go look at that tall phlox co-op. I bet it's closed already. I love phlox. I don't have many.

Hope everyone stays warm and don't go out if you don't have to. Start counting the days till Spring.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

no brenda the phlox co-op closes on the 31st you should go look they are beautiful... there are 4 colors being offered.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I ordered all 4!! For that price how can you go wrong!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

NO skool here today either-Im glad cuz dayme was home yesterday sick and i wanted to keep him home today so it worked out he isnt absent!!!

NO snow here(well a trace)lots of wind though-our power blinked off last night!
I cant wait for spring-yesterday was 40 and now in the teens!

I got in on the co-op also-i watch that forum like a hawk! It is only temporarily closed right now while Kathy does a count and calls to see if we can order more!!! LOL

Brenda if it does close and you dont make it-maybe i can add to my order for you. :)

got the grandbabez coming over today-so i will have a FULL house.

fried up canadian blue gills last night-yummy!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Mmmmm, fish fry. That sounds good.
Put my zero suit on and went outside to put some mail out. I nearly froze to death. Back in and added a wind shear jacket. That was the only thing saving me on my walk this morning. Wow, what a difference from yesterday.
Branches down all over, but no trees fell that I can see. The pilot light on the hot water heater has blown out twice today so far. It must be hitting the vent pipe just right. You can hear the wind howl all the way into the heater. Crazy.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i agree i ordered some my self....hahaha cant wiat... Ronna

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Gardenlady.
I will be missing DH, as always, but you are right-better safe than sorry.

Up until this last session I have been splitting by hand. that old maul gets heavy, especially when you are on the downhill side of 40! DH brought the power splitter back on his last trip home in early January. I have never used one before yesterday, and now I am spoiled! I got done in a couple of hours what would have taken me a week by hand. Now if only they made a power wood stacker....

Here is my downed tree from last nights wind. Its so cold and windy out, I believe I will put of the clean up for a warmer day.

Thumbnail by lilmac442
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow i would wait for a warmer day also. do you have help??? hopefully a family member or neighbor can help with that... hope you get to see your husband really soon. Ronna

man the wind has blown here all day!! DH said the roads home from work weren't too bad, but our driveway is hopeless!! He's snoozing now, but sure hope he wakes up and plows it. I've been stuck at home and need to get out tomorrow for sure!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Lilmac, looks like a job for sure. I sure don't split wood, I let the hubby do that. Great that you are able to do it while he is away. I do have a small chainsaw I use to help cut the trees. It is light enough for me to use and cut the tops up and cut branches off. It will go through 12" like butter. It sure is a good workout though. Who needs a gym?

I did not go to town today. I figured it was just too dangable cold. Poor birds are getting their feathers blown off. Usually they are puffed up in the cold. You can see the wind blow their feathers backwards. The wind is coming off from the lake and is really really cold. Back in the woods is not too bad. Just have to worry about a tree falling on you.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The phlox co-op is re-opened! go get some!!!
cold here like -21 with the wind and in this open field its steady
and cold. The heat has ran all day long!!!
Hubby said roads were bad this a.m.-same thing my son said on his way home it was
hard to stay in your lanes with the wind whipping and the icy roads!

Think SPRING
stay warm

they say warmer temps next week-well high 30s!

LOL...but first there's another storm heading out way!! YIKES!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i know i seen the "new" storm on its way!!! arent we lucky??? newly fallen snow and rain...yesterday was one of those days....you know car problems. my daughters car doors were froze shut.....my car would not start we had to go to kalamazoo two times cause of the doors... i was about to explode.!!!!! all i wanted to do was sit on the couch with the remote!! but my plans were ruined. of course one of the coldest day and slipperyiest (is that a word)???? now my jeep is at a mechanics shop (my mechanic is in florida) what a thing huh? no im glad for them.... well we'll see what today brings. im going to meet my daughters bf parents tonight. he is a great guy. going into the national guard in march.. she is already missing him... so will i. have a great day. Ronna

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Still too dang cold out! A balmy seven degrees. Think I may have to get out there and start that clean up anyway. I will remove the smaller branches, but leave the main trunk for DH next time he gets back from NY. I was hoping this storm might give us a pass, but nope. Was still hoping I might surprise DH for our first anniversary. (On Groundhog Day,lol)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

cold cold but not as cold as yesterday!!
ok i finally watched the weather and saw that the snow is
heading this way. thought if i didnt watch or know about it
then it couldnt happen! he heeee
We are suppose to start moving the kids in next door this weekend(what a time to have to move)I sure hope its nice out for the weekend and that we will be all plowed out by the time it comes to move!!!

I have lots of daylily seeds sprouted now-so fun to play with this time of yr!
still have loads of them to plant

gotta get moving here was in daveschat this morning!!! Now im going to make a huge batch of stuffed cabbage tators and carrots-that should hold us for the weekend move.
Well that and maybe one batch of salsa chicken!!!

Kid rock concert next tuesday!!! oh yaaaaaaa taking Kegan to his first concert-better not be a blizzard that day! I made my mom drive through a blizzard for my first concert-Ted Nuge, brownsville station and Gary Wright andt they were at the saginaw civic center then too!!!! She dropped us off and then came back to pick us up=what a woman!!!! great concert it was!

stay warm n have FUN
dori

Oh gads....we are under a heavy snow warning now....I've about had it!!!! I did go out and buy one pkg of seeds today...maybe I should start them for something fun!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

warning here too they say 5-9in by the time its done!!!!
i just worry about my son driving tonight and in the morning grrrrrrr

sue what kind of seeds?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

wow dori im coming to your house for dinner it sure does sound great, but not the moving part!!! yuck i sure hope we never have to move again!!! last time we did the three kids were very young, and all the crap that goes along with that. you know the toys and the gotta keep, gotta keep, everything. and the dressers and the clothes oh my, i hate to think of it!!!! i really hope they and you have good weather for the move. keeping our fingers crossed... Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Ronna come on over i made plenty!!
Im nor moving-that would take at least a month!!! LOL
My oldest son and his family are moving in next door to me :)

We have to build a bridge again of the drain ditch-there use to be one yrs ago but got old and had to go. It wasnt really needed anymore till NOW
This is a centennial farm and there are 3 family owned house on all the land.
My MIL is about a 1/4mile south of me, the "lil house" is about 600ft away.

dori- only a red blanket flower (perennial) I have one plant and it blooms non stop for me, so I thought I would start some more. Somewhere I have some seed saved, but it is too much trouble to go looking for it. So I bought a new pkg. lazy me....

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well we got about 6 in or more im realyy not to sure but im sick of the snow.... but i know im not the only one... wiping off the feet of snow to drive down the road to the store go in and have to wipe off the snow to come back home again hahaha. i took the dog for a walk and some one had gone thru with a snowmobile and made us the nicest trail!!!! it was a fun walk. but the weather really has changed quit a bit. its "packy" now the snow that is. you know the kind you can build a snowman with. i wish i had some kids over here to build one it would be fun... oh well i guess that will have to wait. i was out very early this morning to take my mom to an appointment.. boy the roads were horrible its a good thing i have a jeep. but my mom is like watch out, oh look at that guy driving like a fool... what a trip. im was glad to get home. well i guess i better go have a great weekend. Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I think the roads were better this morning when I went to work than thay are now the little mister had to go to Harison to play music at the Moose so now I'll worrie about him till he gets home if it gets to awful bad he can go to my sisters or my brothers but he won't MEN LOL
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yes i know what you mean.. my husband works from 6:00 pm to 2:30 am and he just left. a while ago. and i will kinda hear him come in around 3 am. and be happy he is home. expecially with the roads this way. have a great eveningRonna

Oh man...weatherman is saying a winter storm watch on Wed...considerable snow expected. I can hardly wait....dense fog for tonight and tomorrow morning. The schools had a 2 hr delay this morning and I wouldn't be surprised if they had another one tomorrow.

Have I ever told you how I hate February.....

Right now it is raining cats and dogs....

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

yes its raining here also.. and the fog is rolling in. yuck... winter weather advisory also. well we should be good after february huh??? laugh laugh. the snow is very heavy, slushy, wet, and messy. im tired of it. and i know im the only one. have a great evening stay in if possible, Ronna

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

It snowed quite hard last night. Almost 3 inches of very wet heavy snow to shovel. I got the driveway done just in time......to make room for the pounding rain we are now getting. And the several more inches of new snow due Wednesday. Geeeeesh, enough already!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

i know i could cry everytime that happens... and then the plow goes thru and i could just scream. ugh!!!! i really feel for you. and the achy arms and back when the snow is so heavy. i know you know what i mean. Ronna

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

You got that right, Ronna. I'm getting too old for this hee hee. We are having a thunderstorm right now. Lots of lightning. A pretty good selection of weather these past few days. Now if only that heatwave would show up....

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

a thunderstorm?? wow we havent got any thunder. just some rain and fog. but yes we have have quite the array of weather lately. i agree where is the heat???? ive been looking at the North Carolina forum thats really been fun some pretty nice people there. and theyve been posting flowers for me to see trying to get over the winter blues... Ronna

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It was up to above 40 degrees here today, at least that's what the bank thermometer read when I drove by. We're getting rain too and the snow on the driveway has all melted. I finally found the lid to one of my garbage cans today. It had blown away in that wind storm we had last week. :) I have a big rock on it now.

I'm fighting a cold so my eyes burn and I just want to lay on the heating pad. I'll be so glad for hot sunny days when I can sit on my big mower for hours mowing the fields. :) Can't wait to play in the dirt.

Well, we can all dream can't we?

So far the hubby and I have been watching lots of movies. It helps to pass the time. Retirement seems to agree with him so far. It's been a whole month now and we've both survived. :)

I don't care how bad the weather gets since I don't have to go anywhere but I worry about my daughter in law driving down to Saginaw on Tuesdays and Thursdays to Delta college. I worry the roads will be bad and she'll have an accident. I wish school was closer by.

Take care everybody and stay warm. Have another cup of cocoa on me. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't mind winter so muck as I hate the wet cold days of rain makes me hurt all over we have to go to Mt. Pleasent tomarrow to get the taxes done I hope the roads arnt to bad I'm a sissy on icy roads then we need to go get the light bulbs for my plant set up have a nice night
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

hey gloria its okay to be a sissy on icy roads, so am i!!! :} i always said to the kids dont say a word while we are in the car... thats when they were small and fighting in the backseat. well im glad to hear the garbage can lid is found loon. hope you are feeling better soon. i had the dratted cold a couple of weeks ago.. fetl absolutly awful. have a great day. Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Been so busy here this weekend and the rest of this week!!!
We moved the babies in next door-but there is still more moving to go and then cleaning the old house. My granddaughter had her flashlight the first night and was blinking it at me from her bedroom window to mine-I blinked back! :) :)
Yesterday woke up to about 4-5in of new snow everything was so pretty.
By afternoon it was rain and slush-ugly!!! the night brought lightning and thunder!!
dreams of tornadoes last night!!!
I want the snow back!!! Only for my plants-I hate winter and this month seems to have the least amount of days but seems to last the longest!!!!
When March arrives I always feel I have survived another Michigan winter

Tonight I have to drive us to the Kid Rock concert-so i hope the snow holds off till we are home and safe!

Got some of my totals for the co-ops OUCH! but the flowers will be so pretty and i figure those 2 deductions we claim on the taxes-I made! so i spend a lil of the $$$ LOL

lots to do today-will be in and out
hold tight spring will come and Hoodie-Hoo day will be here again this month!!!

This message was edited Feb 5, 2008 8:25 AM

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dorie I hope you Have a wonderful time at the KID ROCK concert the weatherman said you should be good till later to night Hope you have a great time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Millington, MI(Zone 5b)

Its starting to snow here. The area reports are saying up to 12-14 inches! No way, I object!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dorie, I too hope you enjoy the concert and get home OK.

No snow here yet. I imagine we'll all wake up to some though. Glad I don't have to go anywhere. Hopefully, the roads will be all cleaned up by Thursday morning when my DIL has to drive to Saginaw to school.

Tomorrow the hubby and I will resume our spots in the Lazy Boys and watch some more movies. I'm going to bake some cornbread and roast a couple chickens. We can just sit around and watch the snow fly.

I haven't heard the latest weather report. They weren't sure if the storm would turn north and we'd get more or if the brunt of it will be south of us. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Check in with your snow reports in the morning. :)

Brenda

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'd better start a new topic. This one already has over 100 replies. Take all your chat to Are ya'll ready for S-N-O-W?part 4

See you there

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.