Are ya'll ready for S-N-O-W?part 3

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's time for a new thread. The other one was getting too long to scroll down.

It's been snowing off and on here all day in AuGres. The ground is white again. We didn't get much. Maybe an inch? It's wet, heavy and slushy.

Hubby and I got the newly planted blue spruce re-staked up and secured yesterday. It was so pretty yesterday with the sun shining and the grass is so green. What a difference a day makes eh? :)

I got in on the rose co-op and ordered a dozen double red Knockout roses. I'm going to plant them all along the driveway up against my white picket fence. It is beautiful in my mind which is where I garden these days. :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Anyone watching football? Since hubby retired we're watching a lot of it. :)

Brenda

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I just saw a little herd of deer behind the house grazing on the grass. There were 8 of them! I feel guilty because I'm not feeding them. I'm sure they're hungry this time of year. That is the only bad part about the ground being covered with snow. The deer can't get to the grass to graze.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Its been snowing and drizzeling all day here so I'v been trying to figure out this new computer I don't know all I wanted was to be able to post pics and so far I can't get it I AM NO COMPUTER WHIZ but geezz it shouldent be this hard LOL
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Brenda i bet that will be beautiful!! I didnt order any of the Knockout roses. I just got six different ones, no idea where they will go yet!

Been snowing here all morning have a nice lil ground covering_NEED MORE!
Have 14yr old home with an ear ache and grandbabies should be arriving any second now

Gloria good luck with the gizmoz hope you figure it all out soon!

Yesterday i cleaned house and moved furniture around-whew what a can of mountian dew AMP can do!!!

I have tons of daylily babies up! found some more seed starter-oh yaaaa
my heat mat should arrive today or tomorrow! grow grow grow

I took this pic last week when it was warm and foggy-i like this pic!

Thumbnail by notmartha
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Snowy here and the roads this morning were glare ice. We're still awaiting the freezing cold scheduled for this weekend...brrrr.

I love knockout roses. I bought two at Lowes last fall...marked down 70%!! I should have picked up all they had...drat. I'm waiting to see how the two I got do here...if OK, then I'm buying more!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I got most of my roses from warmbiers close out sales-havent gone the last 2yrs cuz i have enough roses!!! HA HA HA

the snow is melting now! :(

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

still snowing here. windy too. dh had to euthanize a few chickens yesterday, as
the others were pecking on them and maiming their wings and backs. He is
such a good and responsible and caring man.

I have the chickens and ducks on cracked corn now for more heat in their
little bodies. They love it!

I missed out on the rose order thing club. : ((((
How do you find out about these things in time to get on them?
I am still learning about Daves Garden, theres so much going on here!

Dori! I have a question for you. I adore that picture of the trees and house and
the fog. Would you send me a copy full jpg's that I can make a watercolour of?
In payment, I will make a watercolour for you. The picture truly is lovely.

Next w/e is the time that the winter will be down in the single digits for us.
Is everyone prepared? I like to make sure the stock tank will be filled
for the horses, and I see that the cats have made themselves lovely
fluffy hidey homes in the new hay we stacked up yesterday. The barn is
cozy for them. They can also find mices there too.

Last week, when it was 60 (!), I saw the bluebirds investigating the
bluebird house in our backyard. Told DH to make sure they are
cleaned out for them little guys. This year I also want to make
upside down cones around their stands to keep the cats from
climbing up the posts.
Bad cats!!!!!

I am still reeling over Loons announcement that her trees are badly
planted and falling over and dying. Good grief.
Hugs to Loon and her family and trees.

Since my little gh is not up yet.... I won't be able to plant any seeds
this year ahead of time. by the time they come up under the lights
its raining and storming outside and they always die anyway out in
the elements. I have been through this the last 2 years and I cannot
afford to waste any money this year on failed seeds. so, the plan is
to buy a few plants at the appropriate time to put them out here.
Thats the only way I can do it this year.

You can see from my picture here, my darling Atticus was sniffing
the blown over baby seed pots, he knew that something was going
on and I was sad.

the baby pugs are getting big now and fresh. they spend
their days nasty jumping on each other...time for them to
go to the veterinarian to be neutured! LOL

thank god for wood stoves
sheri

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well its is snowing in plainwell all day. really not to much accumulation though. its really heavy and the roads were pretty bad. we went to kazoo to take the dog down some trails this afternoon and i was really sorry i was driving... oh well we made it and the three of us had a blast. 2 mile walk and it was so pretty out there. max had so much fun he ran the whole time you know they can not just walk. and he was smiling. :) so we were really glad we took him. im glad i have tuesdat off of work. even thoght i only work a mile from work i dont have to go if i dont want too. the rose co-op sounds nice but i do not have full sun i really wish i did cause i love the antique lookin roses. thats what i would plant in my yard. any one want to come and cut down some trees for me? hehehe wouldnt my neighbors be surprised? sheri your dog is very lovely. and you have pug puppies??? how cute are they!!!! i really like pugs. well i hope everyone is staying in and being snug bugs... Ronna

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

The snow is back in the trees again this morning. Very pretty sight. Trying to enjoy the warmer weather before the artic nose hair freeze comes. Guess it is headed our way.

Dori, that is a beautiful fog picture. I tried to take some of the fog, but all I got was a white sheet, lol.

Trying to line up projects to keep the cabin fever away when it gets too cold to do anything outside. Doesn't seem fair that we get to hibernate and those poor little finches are out there when it is sub zero.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,

I love the fog picture too. You should blow it up and frame it.

Sheri, that is too bad that your little seedlings blew over. The dog is checking them out isn't he?

The snow is back here as well. I'd say we have three inches on the ground and it's still coming down. It is big fluffly looking flakes. The woods and trees are just flocked with snow. So beautiful...........as long as you don't have to get out and drive in it. I worry about my daughter in law driving to college down in Saginaw. She took their Ranger pickup with 4 wheel drive. She must have made it OK since we haven't heard from her.

My son has a plumbing job so he's bringing the baby over for us to babysit around noon. The newly retired husband is still in bed at TEN O'CLOCK in the morning!! I think I'm going to roll him out and feed him and make him jump on that tractor and plow the driveway. It will give him something to do. Some days I think his butt is glued to that recliner. ha ha ha Of course my butt is glued to the computer chair so we're even. I'll get out and shovel off the deck and the back porch and walkway to the gate.

Have a great day everyone. I dread the cold air coming our way. I can take cold. Hate frigid. :)

Brenda

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone
Wow its nippy out. I ran out to meet the maillady today, and I was in flannel pants
and a t-shirt, and, wool sox. If I knew that I would be going out, I would have put
some lip chapstick on it was so cold and windy. Then big Atti ran out the door
after her, she was hightailin it back to her mail car!!! I was really annoyed Atti
was running after the horn honking maillady. Then the pug puppies ran out too,
so there i am screeching and calling these darn dogs in my socks no jacket....

I got a great package from my old girlfriend Erin, she sent me a pair of fuzzy
slippers of bugs with antennas on them too cute. will take a picture.

Its minus 17 with the windy chill here this afternoon. I haven't looked at the
themometer since then. I got busy after studying today, and made a delicious
perfect mouth chomping gut busting Pound Cake. Didn't someone want the
recipe for that? I forget.
Then, i made a milk bread, so light that it collapsed while cooling, but still
wonderful. I made some fresh Naan bread for gyros tonight too. yum. we
get the beef slices frozen at Sams, or I think it was Cosco,maybe it was
Gorden Foods? They all have it. Gyro meat they call it. I divide the big
package into meal size portion for Lou and I so I don't have to defrost the
entire thing.

Whoops. I just asked DH what the temp was and he said " 3".

"3" is NOT a temperature. Its one more than
"a couple". Like in pieces of candy. I'll have
3 pieces of candy.
DH also slept most of the day away. But, I am glad for it. He works
very hard, every day plus, at the Dept. of Defense in Battle Creek. He has
been there now for over 30 years. He doesn't plan on retiring. He has
a super job in computer stuff and gets to go to colleges for more classes
and he can wear blue jeans to work. I think he could take less hours
of work, but I don't think they offer that. LOL He says it is very stressful
since we are in Iraq. The Battle Creek Logistics people maintain over
5 million parts in inventory all over the world. Every part has a number now,
just one number whereas before, each part had its own number and
information from each part of the military. army would call a hammer
"rock on a stick" (number 27million 12334455566) for instance.
Then, the Navy would call that same hammer " Thors Hammer" with
parts number ghffflecksllswefgsaL SAPORPERM DQmjvoreraijk
The air force gets a hold of that hammer and they call it
Bop A Mole, part number ff229-allaf-see ref. no. march 1951.

Now, all anyone has to do is ask Phyllis (a fakey woman on the
US Government site) Lou made her and the language she speaks,
which is called "native language" . you just ask in real words.
"do you have a hammer"? and she will interact with you to find
you the correct one. really neat.
Its really geeky.:)

Does anyone hear listen to NPR radio 90.5? i have it on all day.
I love Sat morning with flick and flack the car brothers. People call
in and imitate the noises their car is making and the brothers
diagnose the problem over the phone with them. hysterical.

Well, I am going to read my new Musser Forest Catalog. They
have new evergreens this year, and lots more ornamentals too.
I think along with sewing, and cooking, gardening is coming back!
Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheri

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

geezz Sheri you should have put the chap stick on you might have been warmer LOL its only about 4-6 out here I took the dog for a walk when I got home from work and liked to froze to death glad he was fast I think he thought he'd freeze to the ground well got to get ready for bed
Gloria

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

VERY cold here this morning!!
Not very nice to come back to.
Just got back from Playa del Carmen, Mexico
(details on the rose forum)
Had a wonderful time and our sons wedding on the beach was beautiful!
We plan to go back in 2 years with all our kids and their spouses.
Renting a beach home for a week next time.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2008 9:56 AM

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

Holly & Ben
Bride & Groom

Our ocean front cabana.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

congrats!!! and beautiful-warm!!!
looks like a dream i had!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh that is beautiful...thanks..for sharing..

smiles...Diana

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh what a beautiful bride and handsome groom! It sure looks like it was a dream wedding. I'm glad you shared the pics with us.

Woke up to zero for a temperature this morning. I'm sure it will be that cold or colder tomorrow morning. It's already down to 7 here and it's just 7:30 at night.

We had a nice day. It is our son's 31st birthday. We were going to take him and his family out for dinner but he was on a mission to try to get his wood stove fixed. The grate on the inside fell apart and broke. He has to get a new grate or something. Hubby took me out for lunch and we went to visit a friend. It was nice to get out of the house for a while. I made sure I was dressed warm and had my rabbit fur hat on. :)

Sheri, I can't believe you went out with hardly no clothes on in this weather. You must have the same mail lady I got. Honk Honk Honk Honk Honk...........Yipes!! It's fun to get packages though. Can't wait to see your insect slippers. :)

I spent this morning reading about all kinds of apple trees before I order. I've got it narrowed down to six trees. :)

Take care ladies and stay warm. I've got my fleece jammies on and my warming blanket on to warm up the bed.

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Sheri, sorry had to laugh at you outside. Like the chapstick would have made you warmer.
DH sounds like he has an interesting job. Crazy that it wasn't mainstreamed between the forces years ago.
Rose, looks like the wedding went great. Nice pictures.
Yup, pretty cold here. We knew it was coming didn't we?
We snuggled around the fireplace yesterday. (if we have that going and the woodstove, the furnace won't run)
Then I put on a big pot of soup on the woodstove. It was full of tomatoes, a few chilis, some italian sausage, crab meat, some shrimp, fresh mushrooms and onions, garlic a little brown sugar. Simmered for a couple hours. Wow, was that good. I call it "cabin fever soup"
Just the thing when it is beyond "brisk" outside.

Oh that soup sounds good!
I made a pot of chili & some cornbread the other day.
Hit the spot.
We strictly use wood for heat too.
We've had to keep the ol' wood burner a-cranking'.
Its a a cozy 74 in the living room.
Feels good. Been kinda holed up for the last few days though.
Don't feel like venturing out when its so bitter cold, except to feed and water my critters.
Hope it doesn't last too long.
Back to work tomorrow.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We usually make chili or bean soup on the stove and I wanted something different. Don't make this soup as often and I think that is why it is such a treat.
Our woodstove is in the basement and usually keeps the house toasty, until it gets about 10' or so. Then the furnace helps, or the fireplace.
I really like the wood heat, if you get a chill, just step in close and you are warmed instantly.
And the fire is just so homey and comforting.

We use a wood stove in our lower level living area. We have three runs on the heating system. The two in the upstairs come on and off during the day/night. Wouldn't you know the lower run (where the woodstove is) froze up from not being used. Can't win for losing. Just hope one of the pipes don't burst!! (hot water heat ya know....)

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Our woodstove just sits there, no fan, not hooked into anything, but it sure radiates the heat. We did cut a couple holes in the floor above near the wall and put in vents, so the heat can flow up into the house easier.
Sure nice to have nice warm floors on the puddies.

Our first home had hot water heat and the old radiators. It worked really well, never had any wierd noises or problems and the second story was unheated, but always very warm. That house had been built in 1863 and still had the cement carriage step out front by the road.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I made chuck roast on the stove.
We sound like a group of Amish/Mennonite people here who also
just happen to use computers! LOL

I have about 20 deer in my backyard now, they are eating the
tall grass . DH said if we liked venison, we could be eating
good all winter. Who would call anyone here if we shot one or
two or three?
Whoops, I didn't say that!

Too darn cold to enjoy, but there was a double rainbow yesterday
morning the left side came from our fields in front of the house too!

sposed to have more snow tonight. thats good, because we
are so in a drought its bad, but not as bad as Alabama! OMG
those poor folks. a steer farmer was on and all 3 of his lakes
dried up, they will have to sell their herd of 430 cows they said.
the wife was crying. : (((
sher

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have 5 deer in my...
basement freezer right now.
We do like venison. (can you tell?) Three were mine and 2 were DH's.

Maybe we are old fashioned in some ways with the woodstove and cooking on it. But sometimes the old ways were better. My computer doesn't count because in computer years it is an antique and I still have dial up. LOL

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's snowing here now at 8:30 p.m. I just let the dogs out and there is about half an inch or more on the ground already. My daughter in law has to drive to Saginaw to college early in the morning. I worry about her on the road when there is bad weather. She's taking the pickup with 4 wheel drive to feel safer.

I don't hunt but my son does. He didn't get a deer this year. He was picky. He wanted a boy with big horns and I have mostly does on my property. He could have had any of them and wound up with none. I wish someone would come shoot these two rabbits who come in my fenced in yard every night and chomp on everything. My little dog almost got one. He pulled a tuff out of it's tail. :) The deer come around. They are hungry. I don't want them chewing on my flowers or young trees. I have everything sprayed but probably need to respray soon.

You are right about Alabama being in severe drought. My husband is from Alabama and has relatives there still. They just burned up this past year with high temps and no rain. The ground is like cement with big cracks in it. It's sad. One thing we can't control and that is the weather. I hope we get plenty of rain and snow to help fill the lakes back up here.

Can't wait till morning to see how much snow everybody got.

Stay warm everyone!

Cuddle alert!!

Brenda

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

DH said there was 6" out there when he plowed at 6am. But it is still coming down. Still too dark to see it.

We do shoot does. We like venison and we have way, way, way, too many does running around here. (can't eat those antlers) The does tend to be better tasting too. Esp the lilly eatting ones.

Looks like a good picture taking morning. If the sun comes out again.

Over 200 schools closed here today!! Yikes...where did that come from? I must get out today (spent yesterday watching two little DGS's) and I am feeling cabin feverish. Besides.....I don't want to stay inside and listen to the stock markets go down....yuck

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's still dark here at 7:15 a.m. but hubby has been out and reports about 6" of fluffy snow at our house. He has to shovel the cement patio and walkway by the back door so the prissy little showdogs can get out to do their business. ha ha ha They don't like getting their feet wet.

I sure hope my DIL made it down to Delta college OK this morning. Her first class is at 8 a.m. I worry about her driving in these conditions. When the sun comes up hubby will dress warm and go out to the pole barn and jump on the big tractor and plow the driveway. We have a big bucket on the front and a blade on the back. Today is garbage day so we have to roll the cans down to the road too. Hope the snowplow guy doesn't cream them flying down the road. :)

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

well he recieved about an inch of snow here in plainwell overnight but its a little bit warmer this morning its actually 27 degrees now. there is a 100 percent chance of snow today. oh well whats you gonna do. my husband wants to win the lottry and move somewhere warmer!!! i said good luck... you have to play to win right?? im just very happy the furnace isnt running non stop... $$$$$ well here is apicture of max doing what he loves to do in the cold weather... the other day i took him for a walk and he didnt even want to stay to long so i know it was cold for the beasts that day!!! i just laughed at him. we get such a kick out of him... such a good boy. have a great day everyone Ronna

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

DH got behind a plow going to work. I said it was a good thing, but he didn't like going only 20mph. Sigh, men...he would rather drive through the thick snow and go 30mph. Men hate to follow.

DH plowed this morning with our big quad and a 5ft blade. It does a pretty nice job. Guess I will be using it to break a trail in the woods. My knee is not totally healed yet and the extra snow will be too much stress on it. Once there are tracks on the trail, it is much easier to walk.
Our dog loves the snow, makes doggy snow angels, eats the snow on the run. He acts like a puppy in the fresh snow. Then the rest of the day he curls up by the fire and limps around like his mama.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

max does run around in the fresh snow also. he plays like a puppy puts his but up in the air and croutches down and barks and runs he loves it...

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

all the teddy bears on the bed are from my grand mother she made them for all the kids.( who in now deceased) i found them all in the basemaent stored a way and thought i would bring them up ive always loved them. kinda makes me think of her all the time.

250 schools now closed here...the snow is picking up intensity...Guess it will be a good day to stay cooped up again!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is sweet.
My grandmother has been gone for 27 years and I still think about her every day. Odd how much influence she still has on my life. Neat huh?
Love the doggy picture, didn't comment before, because we were typing at the same time.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Sarv,
I had a little cabin fever yesterday. So I thought I would go out and try to take pictures of the ice crystals along the stream. I layed head first down the hill to get the shot. Well, with the cold, when I tried to move, I slid down the hill head first into the water.
Well, I cannot believe water can be that cold and not be frozen. lol
Cured the cabin fever really, really quick.

LOL>>just be glad you didn't have to try swim out!! Local school just closed too! Sure does look pretty out with the big, thick flakes coming down...nice insulation for the plants.

Maybe I should clean today.....yuck

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh, you did have to mention cleaning. I was putting it off. I will do it tomarrow. maybe. I used to pay a lady to come in once every 2 weeks and do the heavy stuff. She would clean the bathrooms, hand wash all the floors, etc. The house just sparkled when I got home. Now that I am not working. I like to keep the same scedulle of heavy cleaning. But I let it slide a few days sometimes. I miss my job!

DH just got to work in Bay City. He said they got about 6" there too. Light enought to see now. There are about 100 little finches at the bird feeders. It will be a really pretty walk this morning.

I used to have a cleaning lady when I worked too...best thing I've ever done. But now that I am home, I couldn't see paying it, so I do it myself. Who am I kidding...I don't do it!! I did make a list of what to do on Mon., Tues, etc...put it on the frig and it worked for about a week. It's still on the frig.

I usually do a back breaking cleaning thing when I have people over. The older I get the less I have people over LOL

Did get a steam mop for the floors and it is the best thing since buttered bread. I don't get down on my hands and knees anymore and my floors feel squeaky clean. How can a bathroom get so gross with just two people using it?

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

you are right about the pretty walk it would be beautiful. i wish there were woods closer to us... the school has a really neat trail behind it but the schools are open here and we have to wait until after it gets out but maybe we will do that later. i dont have to worry about schools being opened or closed any more just the colleges... two full timers here. kinda nice :) very proud of them...Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.