any centrosema virginianum growers out there?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have grown this for many years but I am now thinking about planting it in a spot that seems to be a dead corner with poor air circulation and is a pest magnet spot, from aphid to mealy bugs. I have been considering centrosema as I already have seeds, but not sure if it has any known pests.

I have never had a pest problem on my centrosema, but then I have never grown it in an area that is prone to them, so if you have had any pests on yours, please let me know. Seems like every year that corner is a bust, and I would really like to avoid having another wasted year by trying something new there that may be prone if it can be avoided. Thanks!

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Donna,
I grew these in CA and this is the first year here for them, I've brought the plant inside and am overwintering, so far NO BUGS on it and here we are January... I do have a couple of plants that have mites, but not these plants.

Hopefully we will hear from others.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I had to look this one up. I googled and could not find this for sale. Can you tell me where you bought this?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Antoinette, thanks for your input, I appreciate it. When you grew them here in CA did you grow them in full sun or shade and did yours come back in the Spring? They seem to be an annual here for me and I am wondering if maybe where I plant them is the problem. Did you do anything special with your soil for them?

Marie, oh boy, you are really wanting me to use my brain, aren't you? LOLOL Lets see, first time I got them, many years ago was from a fellow gardener named Daturapod. Since then I have bought them and pretty sure it was on ebay. Never have been able to find the white ones that Daturapod gave me, only the pinks. Too bad, they look so pretty growing together...

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Mesilla Park, NM

Marie, I should have some extra seeds, let me take a look and I'll D-mail ya..

Donna, I seem to remember that they were perrenial, in full sun, and I grew them in 15 gallon container with a couple of other vines I am sure some of the seeds fell in there too when the pods dried. Also, I seem to remember something to the effect that there were two types (the one I have has the very narrow leaves) and there is another one with fuller leaves with the same color. I don't have that one, but maybe we can find some. I brought these inside because I've got a white clitoria vine in the same pot that I want to overwinter.

We need to get ahold of Larry (Daturapod) maybe he still has some of the white... that would be great.

edited to add: I found the seeds for the narrow leaf ...

Donna, I also found a couple of seeds from a pack that I bought from France (JJ Barbadine) and the seeds are a little bigger than mine and they are more round too.. I don't think that these germinated for me a couple of years ago and I'll try them this year to see what comes of them, maybe they are the ones with the bigger leaves?

This message was edited Jan 15, 2008 11:57 AM

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

The ones I got from larry, they are in the picture, have the bigger leaves. I never got any seedpods from those and since then, I have used the ones I bought and they all have the narrow leaves & all the seeds from these and the ones I got from Larry looked the same. Wonder what your bigger seeds are? Hope you can get them to germinate for you, it will be interesting! Maybe it will be one of the other variety of centrosema, like the Pubescens or Macrocarpum! That would be cool!
I think I will direct sow some of my seeds this year, I always pre-start them inside and then they are soooo slow to take off once I get them planted out. Maybe if I direct sow they will be happier, and the spot I want them is full sun, so we will see. Thanks Antoinette for your help. Hope you post if you get those to germinate, now you have me curious! LOL
Donna

Mesilla Park, NM

Donna,
Send me your addy and I'll get some of those from France out to you and I also have quite a few of the narrow leaf ones too that I can send, they are from 2005 though. Maybe one of us can get those others to germinate.

Also, Have you ever heard of Orange Clitoria, with tiny orange bean type seeds? I have a couple of those also and have not tried them, but I've not heard of them either. Got them in a trade two years ago.

A.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh Antoinette, that is such a nice offer, but I really don't think I am the one to risk those seeds on. I have a few seeds that I am successful with, but overall, I do not have good results getting seeds to germinate. Maybe someday I will break down and buy a heat mat and then my successes might be more frequent, but for now, I think it is just too cold in my house to attempt it. But I thank you for the offer!

I have never heard of orange clitoria, I wonder what it is? The only seed I can think of that is orange, is really orangy red and it is that poisonous one called Abrus precatorius or Rosary Pea. It has a black spot on the seed, sound like yours? But shoot, that does not have orange flowers http://images.google.com/images?q=Abrus+precatorius&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-23,GGGL:en&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I bet if you post a picture of the seeds someone will recognize it.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Donna I hae the same issues with seeds and I have a heating mat. I guess that does not say much for my seed germinating ability!!
I would want those seeds int he link you posted just because they are pretty.

Mesilla Park, NM

Okay guys. I do grow everything on a heat mat too, but use a dome and lights too. I'll try some of the ones from france and the orange seeds, the orange are tiny little pinhead size seeds in the shape of a tiny bean..

The seeds for Abrus are also used as beads too. I've never been able to get those to germinate either, maybe I need to try again.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Gosh Marie, thanks for shooting down my pretend theory for my inadequate seed starting abilities! LOLOL NOW what am I gonna blame it on? ROTF

Antoinette, those seeds sound like nothing I have ever heard of before, wonder what they will be? You ARE gonna grow some this year I hope, on your fancy heat mat and dome, hehe, and let us know what they are! Inquiring minds, and all that. ;~)
I had heard that about the abrus, which seems odd that anything that poisonous would be worn around the neck!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey gals!

I have the regular-leaved(broad) of the centro. V.

I used to have the white from Larry, but they were sterile, and did not produce viable seeds. :0(

They were neat, but have to admit, the purple/lavender were still prettier.

Hey, Donna?...how did the 'pink' ones from ebay ever turn out?

Mine tried to be perennial. They would have root runners all over the place, but never resprouted, so I gave up on them, and just re-sow them every year. I have plenty of them, so if you gals want some, juat email me.

I've never had a single bug on mine, in many years of growing them. The only con to growing them, in my opinion, is that they pretty much only bloom at the end of the season. But, when in bloom, whoa!-there is nothing prettier.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Taylor, I was just thinking about you the other day, had not seen any posts from you!
Glad to know the Larry seeds were sterile, I don't feel so bad that I did not get any seeds off it now. LOL The pink seeds came up purple with the speared leaves. Only got a few flowers off it, hopefully it will come back up this spring and impress me, but chances are good it will not, I usually have to replant every year too.
I agree, when in bloom, they are beautiful. I like that the vine itself is so delicate and blends in to anything you have planted with it. Goes completely unnoticed until those flowers pop out. :~)
d

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Taylor! It is good to see you posting!! I too was thinking about you also the other ay as I was out playing in the garden!! How are you?

Hi Donna-
I lost my 18 yr. old "baby" in September, so haven't been on here much since then. I'm just now getting back on here, and trying to get "into" Spring.

(I haven't even planted one single seed this year, and usually the greenhouse is so packed I can hardly move in there.)

Are you needing some seeds, or do you already have some? I'll need your address, again, because my computer crashed right before Christmas and I lost all my information, including addresses...

-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

taylor I am so sorry to hear of your loss. ((((hugs))))

Hi Marie!

So nice to see my friends on here. I haven't been this depressed since I was a hormonal teenager(lol!!), but am desperately trying to shake it.

I think I was just too close to him. I carried him around like a baby,and feel like I've lost a son. (This picture was after a full day of rose trimming...we were both very tired)

We've gotten four others(couldn't just replace him with one)since then, but they just aren't the same. I'm trying not to compare them, but he was extremely special to me, and I still miss him.

I think about you every time I check on my two vines you sent. I'm trying not to water them too much, since they are both caudiforms. So far, they are doing well.

Do I remember you needing more clematis from me??...let me know.

And, Antoinette...I've not forgotten about your precious pets appointment. I've said prayers for you both. I hope all goes very, very well...just a few days away, and hopefully all will be just fine.
-T

Thank you, Marie.

I guess I am typing too slow, lol...I keep posting one post late.

Hubby is calling me off the computer, so gotta go...let me know if you need any clematis...
-T

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh Taylor, I am so sorry, how sad!! Such a cute baby too. :~( 18 years is a good long life but that does not make the loss any less painful, does it? I am with marie, BIG GROUP HUG! We lost our baby in 2006 and she was right at 18 yrs old too, and what a devastating loss that was. I said that's it, no more dogs, I can't go through that again. But after a while, I just missed the companionship so much that I got another pup to love and it was the right thing to do.

Thanks for the seed offer, but I still have plenty. I have gotten seeds off my purple ones, just not off my white and honestly, I am not even caring anymore because I have been planting them in with my corkies and the purple is actually alot more complimentary then the white would be. But thanks for thinking of me, I appreciate it.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I could use another clematis but no hurry. How about a picture of the 4 new babies???

Good morning-

Marie, here is one we took of them at Christmas

I know I should live more in the present(with my new dogs), but I still prefer my recent past.

They are great dogs, though. And, I'm sure as they mature and progress, I'll love them all dearly, too.

Of course I love them, already, but not deeply like you do after 18 years together...

from left to right are Daisy, Lucy, Bezer(the boy), and Fifi.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are so adorable!!!!!! I have a favorite already. Bezer his little face reminds me of my Romeo who passed a few 10 years ago. I will be coming back here to see there adorable faces often!

Well, I should probably move this to private email, or pet forum, so sorry Donna for the distraction from your post.

Yes, Bezer seems to be everyone's favorite. It is his personality, more than his looks, but he can be pretty cute, too, lol

I've always liked the boy yorkies better than the females. Something about them.

He could have easily been named Romeo. He is a little lover boy, with tons of kisses. He not only kisses us, but the girls, too.

He is our "stud". He'll be one happy man when they all get their second heat, lol...

He has a little overbite, so his tongue hangs out a lot,...we think it is cute. I half think it hangs out because it is tired from so much kissing!, lol...

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Good Morning,
No Taylor, I don't mind and it is nice seeing the babies. Bezer is a doll, love the tongue hanging out.

Mesilla Park, NM

Goodmorning Ladies!!!

I love Bezer.. they are all full of Love.. I know how much you love your babies.. they are so tiny, how big do they get? I love them.

Taylor, I've got some seeds for the narrow leaf if you would like some and that other one from Reuinion Island too.

Friday, our male Golden (Harley) goes in for surgery (has about 6 tumors) one is really big about the size of a large Grapefruit, or larger.. all the biopsy's showed they were fat tumors, but the one that is the largest is in his groin area and he is having more and more trouble walking.. so out they come. Wish us luck.

Here's my Harley Man!!! asleep ....

Thumbnail by Gourd
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Antoinette, hope all goes well with Harley's surgery, I bet you are a nervous wreck. But what a relief they are all fat tumors and nothing more serious. He is a BIG boy, huh?
My Sadie is a Rat Terrier and weighs in about 15 pounds. If I sit down, she is in my lap, if I go to bed, she is curled against me. A real snuggle bug. Pretty hard not to love her.
I am guessing Harley is not a lap dog...HA

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh, Sadie is a cutie, yeah, they sleep right next to me if they can help it.

they are not lap dogs each one weighs over 100 lbs.. 106 and 104 were the last weigh ins.. although they are on diet dog food too, he lost a little weight with that food, but Dusty the female has not lost an ounce.. it seems it's just as hard for us females to lose weight.. lol

She's had some surgeries too, so she cannot excercise.. so, she is on pain meds all the time.. and we hang around each other.

I actually bought them their own leather couch at a thriftstore in CA so they could sleep on that, it was low and she could climb up on it, it is located in our bedroom next to our bed. Sometimes Harley beats her to the couch and he takes up all the room, so I have to help her get on our bed.

It is like having a third person sleeping there, very uncomfortable, but she tries to stay at the feet. The vets here are really great, they also treat horses and all kinds of farm animals.

When we got here, her back knee almost gave out and she was litterally draging her self.. well, they gave her injections that they give horses and she gets around really well now. Not great, but enough to have a life...

We had three, the oldest passed away about two years ago, and it still kills me to think about my Rocketman..

Here's my baby girl Dusty (she's Harley's sister)

Thumbnail by Gourd
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

WOW! Those are some big babies you have! I laughed at your couch purchase, too funny. How old are Harley and Dusty?

Thank you, Donna.

Fifi used to be the one people complimented for her looks, but Bezer(pronounced BEEzer) has gained momentum & passed her by, lol...

They are both tiny. She is 6 months and 2.1 lbs, and he is 4 months and only 1.15

Mesilla Park, NM

They just turned 5 years old this past Oct., got them at 8 weeks old.. I'm their momma., they do not leave my side, believe me... I really beleive they understand what I 'm saying sometimes.

This one got mad at me once... for three days.. Rocky, I told him to get off the bed, and he wouldn't, so I said "You understand English", he got off the bed and went to sleep on the couch in the livingroom and would not look at me for 3 days.. Someone told me that they have an apititude of a 6 year old child.

Rocky, I think he was at 120 lbs. he was an epileptic and was on phenobarbitol, so he gained alot of weight, his last seizure took him at age 13..

I'll tell you that couch has save me .... DH fought it at first, but now he is so glad we brought it with us. All I do is get a bucket with soap and water and wash it when it needs it, about twice a year,... I'll use blankets over it in the winter so they don't get cold (yes, they are sooooo spoiled)..

Mesilla Park, NM

we cross posted...

He's a cutie, oh, you can have them all in your lap at one time.

How sweet is that?

Sorry, that last post was way out of turn!

I had written it, but not hit the send button...when I came back to the computer I hit send, and then realized you gals had gotten way ahead of me...sorry.

~Harley is such a cool name, and I really hope he does well with his surgery. My vet says there is always that one that outshines the rest...sounds like Rocketman was that one for you.

~Sadie looks like she is made of pure muscle. I'll bet she can run like the dickens, and jump really, really high...

~so sad he died from a seizure. They can be so violent and heartwrenching. Willie had a lot of those, too.

I think the couch was a great idea. A place just for them, and you didn't spend a bundle on it...

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

what is the difference in this vine compared to the clitoria vine?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh Taylor, they are so tiny! I would worry about smashing them. LOL What will their max weight be? Yes, Sadie IS all muscle, she is so fast and that little ball in the pic is her joy. I throw that as hard as I can across the yard and she is on it in the blink of an eye. And jump, sheesh, that dog has springs. LOL
Antoinette, they are young! So, you proved yourself right to DH, as if there was any doubt that your idea as brilliant...LOL Was Rocky related to Harley and Dusty?

I think they can understand us when they have constant human contact. Lucy, our poor old girl who passed away, we got her for our daughter when she was little and those 2 were inseperable. She would wait all day for Jenn to get home from school and then they played. Jenn would say tag or hide & seek and Lucy would either bump Jenns leg and run, or turn her back on Jenn so Jenn could go hide. Those 2 spoke each others language. Sadie is similar in that she listens and somewhat understands, but she still does whatever she wants. LOL But with age I can see her being alot like Lucy. I think it is a very bright breed, Lucy had rat terrier in her too but was a mix.

Riverland, they are 2 different vines but both in the pea/bean family.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

are the flowers similar in size or is one more showy than the other?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I find them to be equal in size and beauty . The clitoria has more visible foliage whereas the centro's foliage is wispy and in my opinion, looks best mixed with another plant.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

thanks I had never seen this one so was curious

Riverland-
The clitoria has a longer blooming period, blooming here and there all summer, and can have double or single blooms. They come in deep blue, & white

Centrosema bloom at the end of summer/early fall, and bloom profusely for several weeks, and are lavender in color. There are other centrosemas in different color variations, but they are not common here in the US.

Both are pollinated by large carpenter bees.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks that's good info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.