For those that compost

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Here I am... UMD certainly has a master gardening program. Their ag school isn't what it used to be, but neither is agriculture (tobacco?) in Maryland. I bet most of the ag stuff is on the eastern shore, poultry, etc. I don't know anything about the old greenhouses, though. There used to be an outfit called "ECO" that would probably be able to use them. I bet they're too big for most people's yards.

The best thing about the ag school was always the Turner laboratory (dairy) that retailed ice cream. New flavors every week! Spinach, lobster, you name it, they made it at one time or another. It was right near the Rossborough Inn "Lafayette slept here, G. Washington, etc." on US 1.

How 'bout them Terps anyway, 82-80 over no.1 ranked UNC! Fear the Turtle! Duke is next.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: What does it mean that your horse-baby is lame? That sounds awful.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

It means that I need to freeze my rearend off in the wee hours, icing his leg, walking him, wrapping his legs, cleaning his stall, and then locking him back up in Pony Prison until I come back in the evening and do it all again. LOL

Really, he showed up with heat & swelling in one leg on Sunday, so I've been nursing him back to health. He's been getting better each day, so I'm not *too* worried at the moment (knock on wood).

He refuses to tell me how he did this to himself (brat!) ...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You mean you go out BEFORE GOING TO WORK each day, and then return to see him AFTER WORK each night? You are a wonderful mom -- and he is a lucky horsie. You must be exhausted!

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow I thought I was busy.. That is really cool Wrightie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Jenn!!

Aww, poor horsie.. and poor freezing her buns off Wrightie!

*HUGS*

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I don't know about being "wonderful," but his leg looked a whole lot better tonight. [Big Exhale!] If he keeps this up, he'll only have one more day in solitary confinement, then will get to frolic in a *tiny* paddock on Thursday, if he can prove to me that he really is feeling better.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Poor guy, you are a good mommie. Give the guy a sugar cube from me. He's probably being bullied by those nasty horse guys next door. :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

snort - I'll give him some extra cubes. He's so spoiled. The entire time that I was wrapping his leg this morning, he was mouthing my head looking for treats (cuz I store them in my lid, you see!) ...

Smart fella, obviously. He's got your number, evidently. LOL

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Indeed, he has. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3248081

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Awwwww.

Crozet, VA

Wonderful picture wrightie. Thanks for sharing. There is love and pride in your eyes girl.

Ruby

What a handsome fellow he is. :) The chick with him ain't too bad either.........runs.......

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I think that that's wind & tears that you see in my eyes, Rube'... [heh]

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I can almost feel that velvety nose.....
BTW, saw a little ad, Homestead Gardens, half off houseplant sale..... practically on your way home.....

Crozet, VA

There she is again..........influencing bad behavior. Sally, Sally, what am I to do with you? One thing I can say though is that you are sure up to date on all the half price sales on plants. I love you and don't change a thing about yourself. You have had me in stitches more than once on here.

I can't explain why I find some of the things that you say as being so funny. John continuously laughs at me throughout the day. I always ask why he is laughing, when I am not trying to be funny. He can't explain it either. So, I won't try to explain, I just hope that you don't mind me pointing it out to the group. Please tell me when I need to shut up and keep all thoughts to myself.

; ^)
you made me smile !

Ruby, do not change, laughing at yourself is a good thing. DH's are allowed certain latitude in that area. Do a fat joke and he's dead. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ruby....Puh-lez...since when do ANY of us keep our thoughts to ourselves..geez..how bor-ing would THAT be!?!? Humor IS the fountain of youth...IMHO

Crozet, VA

I hear you on the fat jokes doccat. Thankfully, he learned that lesson and doesn't do fat jokes.

You are absolutely right Chantell.

Glad I made you smile Sally.

Ruby

Fat jokes is a dangerous thing......LOL They do mellow with a little "training"........grin

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Fat Jokes = oxymoron

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I picked up a couple rain barrels on Friday. I could get two 55 gal. barrels into my CR-V. They are indeed white, and still have some Pepsi in them. Heh.

Maybe I should host a Build-a-Rain-Barrel Day in College Park this Spring ...

If you happen to gather a couple of extras, I would be happy to buy them from you at the RU. DH was getting all excited since we've been hunting for suitable rain barrels for awhile and keep coming up with a no go. Most have had things in them that I really don't want to use the barrel. So let me know! :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I will let you know if I acquire any more. For anyone else who is interested in getting some, the contact number and address are:

Pepsi Cola Bottling Co
Ofc Pepsi Place
Cheverly, MD 20784
(301) 322-7000

" a Build-a-Rain-Barrel Day in College Park this Spring "
could be lovely !

I'm feeling pretty bummed since I contacted both Pepsi and Coke in my area and got a major "duh". We don' t do that.

Germantown, MD

Doccat - that is disappointing. I heard rumor that Brookside might offer another Rainbarrel workshop this spring - better geta jump on that ass I bet it sells out again fast -- last time they offered it had like a 100+ waiting list. I'm going to scope out the new barrel Terracycle is offering now.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just an FYI: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/588444943.html

Crozet, VA

How funny Chantell. John just asked if I wanted him to go and get it for me. ha-ha Not this time honey.

Ruby

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Figured - couldn't hurt to post "just in case" someone was interested...ya know? LOL

Chantell, that's a hoot!! I must start reading craigslist more often. LOL

I am soooooooooo excited!! I got worms on the way in!!! YEAH!!! I've got the materials to built one to keep in the pantry.......I even got my own "gurl sized" drill so I can set it up myself. I did a Master Gardener training session last week. It's a presentation on "Wiggly Worms" and is designed for 1st and 3rd graders. It was so much fun. We went and participated in the demo at a local school. The kids were so cute. And helping them with the live worms was too much fun. One little girl asked me if I fished too.........LOL and I told her yep and I baited my own hook. She told me her Granddaddy took her fishing in the summer. And she was learning to do that. What a little doll. My fellow MGs want me to take pictures of this project and share the info. LOL I keep touting Dave's as THE place to be!!

We have our first batch of Boskahi fermenting. I got some liquid from it and and holding it to water houseplants. We had to add some sugar to it as it was a little "funky", but reread the directions and I think I've got it straight. Found wheat and rice bran at the local health food store, so I may make some activated EM1 this week.
Plan on doing some planting this weekend. We finally got the correct shop lights for my seedling table and hopefully my heat mats should be in today.

Crozet, VA

Sounds like you are ready to go there doccat. I cannot report the same progress. Other than potting up six elephant ear bulbs, I haven't' done the first bit planting yet this year. Even though I missed the seed swap, I have loads of seed. A couple of years ago I was able to get two hard plastic kiddie pools that I filled with soil and had planned to use for wintersowing this year. I guess that I still have some timie to go out and sow a few things in them. It just won't be today, I already have the day pleanned out.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Rub y

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.