First time harvesting brugmansia's seeds.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm getting ready to open the pod and sow the fresh seeds.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Kim, you little harvester! No offense, this pod isn't very pretty... lol I wish you so many new seedlings, you don't know what to do with them all! I will check my lone pod again, it should be ready soon, I hope. (no signs of green in my seed tray, yet)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

B, some of the seeds that I harvested last, James sowed them on Jan. 17th and they're sprouting for him.
Tehehehehehe, sorry the pod didn't look 'purdy'. Wait until I clean them out and line them up to march down the alse to the seeding tray, lol.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Hello,

Yes I did and here they are today I am so happy to see these little guys.

James

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'll post some pictures to show what the seedpods look like when we open them up.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

James, how many of these seeds are you willing to adopt? I have a small seeding station, but then I've other types of spring flower- seedlings that need the space too....

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well as many as you care to send I have space to grow them...James

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

There is a mid-rib formation that hold all these seeds in place, if you can see them here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ditto James. :-)

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

yeah guess you can say I am addicted............LOL

Fantastic Kim! ...those "homely" looking pods, yield buried treasure :)

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Kim,

If you have extra seeds, I would love to try to grow some of your Brugs. I would 'specially love your babies and post lots of pics so you would see how well they are doing.☺I am trying to think what seeds I could trade...... or I could send postage.

Lu

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Kim, just planted up some of those seeds, let's keep our fingers crossed.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Robin, me too. This time I added some fresh seeds. I meant REALLY fresh. Right out of the pod, right off of the tree. lol.

Hi Lucille, you've dmail.
Kim

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

If I planted some brug seeds now would they flower this summer?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Good luck Kim and everyone.

According to the Brug org ...anywhere from 4 months to 2 years depending on type and conditions.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh Chrissy; please help find out. Does anyone know whether Dr. D is self-fertile? I had two blooms on Dr. D. I didn't hand pollinate the thing indoor, but now I see some tiny teensy seedpods on the tree? Could it be? could it be? Absent of pollinator to boot, how is it possible? My Lemon tree is also blooming and look to be self-pollinated INDOOR. Wind pollination (artificial wind = fan ????) I'm completely loss on this one.
Kim

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

I am betting the fresh seeds will have a high rate of germination. We have taken seed fresh from the pod and had 100%.

kenboy

Kim you may have had a little indoor visitor (moth or spider) as far as I know it has to cross with something but I am no expert ...
I got 2 pods today! These were on the Suaveolens ...pollinated by the no name Grande Marnier look alike ...I was surprised by the quantity compared to the seeds in the no name :) no I didn't count them ...yet lol.
Lemons are self pollinating most brugs are not ...from what alistair told me only arborea and pure Suaveolens are self pollinating as far as I know. My suaveolens is pure as far as I know but in all the many years I grew it it never had pods until I was told to play birds and bees ...bingo pods! what is in them will be another matter ...I see a difference in the seeds twixt the no name apricot and the white they are lighter in colour. What I do know is that although the no name apricot is a longer pod the seed count is less though generous while the sturdy little fat pod of the Suaveolens are off the wall in the number of seeds ...don't fret kim it is just the beginning of an adventure (or should I say obsession :) plenty of time now you know how.

Thumbnail by

Bowed but not broken ...poor things after black bamboo collapsed over them in yet another storm ...critters chomping away as fast as I can pull them off (some you can't reach) ...drenched everyday etc ...tough plants and so beautiful (don't look at the holes) :)
kenboy really ? 100% strike rate? I think I am gonna need a bigger garden.:) (seriously going to share the joy with my oz mates) wish you all lived closer.
chrissy

Thumbnail by

A dumb question because I think i know the answer, but just in case and for anyone new to this like some of us, does the seed take on the most "dna" so to speak from the mother plant or the pollen donor, I ask this question because the pods on theSuaveolens all look the same ...while the pods on the no name apricot look like long pods as they should, however some are very fat and sturdy looking ...all are velvety though while the white is smooth. Just wondering, my guess is that you never know until it flowers like our babies. Aunty Ethol's nose and Uncle Freds ears ...etc
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I just love your questions Chrissy. Ha ha ha, I don't know about plants, in this case brugs. But in humans isn't the maternal DNA is more dominant, and indeed is the one that are being carried forward down to next generation, and next.....ect.

Ok, someone wanna take a stab at this subject? Please, let's 'hear' it. :-)

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh not even............lol i am so new to brugs...lol

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I do not know what it is about Kim's seeds but wow there are 5 up and 4 just starting to show and only planted 10 seeds who knows? Well it makes me a happy gardener.......

Thumbnail by pensacolagarden
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm not sure if I understand your question and I'm even less sure I can answer it correctly! LOL I think your asking about the pods..

You say the pods on the "no name apricot"... that's where I get the clue that the "no name" is a multi hybrid, and has unknown mixed genes... that may be why your getting a "mix" in the seedpods.

In the species Suaves... it sounds to me your plants are nearly pure Suaves and therefore the pods are more predictable..

If you know the complete history of each of the plants in the mix, it's probably a little easier to predict what the pods will look like.

Is that close?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo, James, 20 days since the seeds were sown. And you've 90% germination rate!!! I'm so proud and happy for you.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes indeed I sure do I am trying to make it 100 % but who knows but just might happen......James

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ok, here is what's going on with my Dr. D brug. I'd two 1st time blooms on this cutting. I didn't hand pollinate the blooms, hoping I could allow the tree to grow, and developes further in size. (as appose to put its energy into producing seeds -- you know, like baby's having babies kind - a - thing). But after the stigma were cut off (I'm saving these pollens by the way), the remaining stems will not fall off, and a few days later I found these. Seedpod formation? Visiting spider? I hope so, but if they've successfully ovulated, I'm not going to cut these off. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Now I am no expert on DNA,but it is my understanding that in humans the Genetics are based on specifics. For example the dominant gene of the hair is from the mother. So off spring are quite apt to get the same color and texture as the Mom's hair but not always,just on the higher percentage side. Color of eyes is from the male gene, and so on and so on. I can't remember who is the dominant gene for height or any of the other traits.

My Dad had blue eyes and three out of four off spring have blue eyes. Mom has brown eyes and one son has brown eyes.My DH has brown eyes,we have one son and no other children and his eyes are brown,my eyes are blue. So it held true in our case.

So interesting isn't it? ...so the dominant colour may come from the donor and the shape may come from mumma etc, Alistair told me that my no name apricot (Grande Marnier " look alike) is a very old and quite pure strain ...(in Australia there are almost no colours) we are trying to mix them up now thanks to the info we have received here in daves garden.) He told me that it throws almost always the same colour. So if that is true I am hoping for the Suaveolens to throw apricot blooms with the beautiful perfume of the Suaveolens, just a dream I know but we all need dreams don't we?.The white smells like lillies ...just stunning!.

Thumbnail by
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Chrissy; to see your Grande Marnier's beautiful blossoms among the seedpods, one has to agree with the notion that's a vigorous grower!!! Beauty packed with a power punch!
Congrats mate!
Kim

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow Crissy, I want one of those now. That is pure heaven isn't it.

Heaven ...must be missing an Angel ...cause she's hereeeee with me right now! ...la la la

But seriously stay safe everyone, lots of awful things happening weatherwise over there, I feel guilty complaining about monsoon rains (1/2 hour of sun yesterday) ...when all hell has broken out in the US ...I hope you are all ok
chrissy

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Crissy, we're keeping an eye out all the time anymore.

Praying for all the victims of yesterdays and todays storms.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Lily, that is the ovary indeed, but it's my guess it's not pollinated.. if it were, it would be getting bigger and green..
The end of the stigma turns brown when it has been introduced to pollen.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

ZZ, you came along to save the day! LOL, I cut off the stigma when the corola felt off. Oh well. I didn't want to stress the tree out, so may as well.

Thank you, so very much.
Kim

Kim zz and anyone interested in the sand mix ...a quote from the folk at one of our top Nurserys

Just plain ‘course washed river sand’ (with NOTHING else added) is an excellent media to propagate most cuttings. Wash the sand again yourself, two or three times, to make certain that all the silt and fine particles are taken out of the sand. Root formation is, in fact, much quicker in course sand. The problem is that you then need to transfer the cutting into a good potting mix, once roots have taken, to grow on your plant. Fine textured sand will NOT give you the same results.

Hope this explains why I like washed river sand for everything
the roots of everything grows like mad in it and even after I pot on it is still my main ingredient ...it allows roots to breath and grow quickly ...after the roots are healthy then you add goodies :)
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Chrissy,
I'll certaintly try out the sand method. I sowed a flat of seeds and have yet any sprouting.

James, how are yours doing? Growing like weeds, I'm sure.

Robin, have you got any germination yet?

Lucille, how many of the seeds would you like to have? (If you've excess, you can share to friends and neighbors - spread the joy).

ZZ, have you got any recommendation on which double, tripple blooms should I acquire? I understood (or have heard from others), that those are fuzzy in our hot climate? What's your take on that?
Currently I've whiskers, and DD, so I'm coddling them pretty tight. lol.
Kim

Oh, I've these final pods to be collected soon - note the stems are changing their color to straw color -- they're nearly ripe. I'll send all these out for those that are interested.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Nothing yet kim, I look at least 10 times a day. I did get 1 germination of Vixen x Delta Dawn.

Which pods are getting ready to burst? You know I'm interested.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.