For profit
(7 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Other?
(80 votes, 16%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I voted "for fun", but I never really thought about why I do it. I'll tell you that if it wasn't any fun, I wouldn't be doing it, that's for sure.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

I do it for food, for fun and for my health (mental and physical!)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Other was my response. I use gardening as a stress reliever, but after two back surgeries I can't say it is good for your health! LOL!

My reason is to learn to enjoy the beauty and learn from nature. Gardening beautifies the world around us and teaches us humility when we see the facinating way God has brought it all together. My new experience this last year was raising many butterflies from the larva stage to release. This year I plan on planting more nectar plants and host plants to offer more experiences.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

I voted "For Fun", but it's for the food and the fun.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

..for my health. I garden for my sanity. It is mentally soothing to come home and walk thru the plants. I admire the blooms, touch the foliage, smell the flowers and taste the herbs. I am in awe of the butterflies and delight at the lizards. I love the birds and bugs and by the time I walk in the house, my work day has retreated in my memory and I am at peace with my life. For my mental health... no more, no less.

Thumbnail by podster
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I voted Other because you failed to have an 'all the above' choice.
Sidney

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

I garden to surround myself with beauty. I also do it because I love taking a seed the size of a speck of dust and growing a beautiful plant - so I guess I garden for the satisfaction.

Oh, and all of the above :-D

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

For occasional fun, mental health and now and then food I would say. Not sure what I would do if I didn't garden - life of crime?LOL

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I missed where you actually vote. I garden because I 'cannot not garden'!

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I voted twice (is that allowed?) once for fun, and once for food.

Bedford, TX(Zone 8a)

I just like to do it. Plus, there is no comparing a home-grown tomato to store-bought. In my opinion, they are altogether different foods.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I forgot to vote food as you are right. All fresh veggies taste like a different food than the grocery stores offer.

Tucson, AZ

I used to garden because I love plants and flowers (I never really liked grass). I now mostly garden for food. I live in the desert and feel guilty to use water to grow flowers. I believe that I should grow food if I am going to use the water for something. This follows some of the basic ideas of permaculture where you plant a plant for a minimum of three reasons. Example: A grapefruit tree can provide food, shade to cool the house, and supply shade to the plants underneath it.

Sacramento, CA

I voted other as Im use to everything that plants need and it is fun to begin with and being new to most emergent plants I have lots to learn and thats what it is, learning experience.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

food: orchard/vegies - for consumption & sharing
flowers for landscape & cutting
trees & shrubs: for the wildlife & me (fun place to hang out)
A soothing way to relieve stress: fresh air, sun (when it is not obscured by clouds)
Guaranteed not to be bothered by anyone (they might get asked to help)
Educational: observation/trial & error.
All in all I feel gardening to be an excellent investment of time & resources: all the benefits return to me & my slice of the earth.
And ditto Podster's response.

San Tan Valley, AZ(Zone 9b)

I also voted other because I do it for all the reasons mentioned except for profit.

Denver, CO

() For my soul.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Podster gave the definitive answer for me. But also for some of the other reasons so ditto Sydney's answer too. Its gratifying eating something I had a hand in growing. My profit is pure satisfaction which contributes to my well being.

Joyce

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I too voted other since there wasn't an All the above option....

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

My vote goes for fun, but exactly speaking, for soul.
Often being in my yarden softens my floating heart,
and cultivates me into a gentleman.

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I voted other too , fun just didn't do justice to what gardening does for your soul . I think I also could not not garden . I always have and I am sure I always will
laura

Thumbnail by laurawege
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I voted for other because for me it's all of the above. ;)

What podster said - and ultimately, that means it's for fun.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

For fun, 'cause how can you be having fun if you're not relaxed and at peace with yourself - which is just one of the many things gardening does for me?

--Ginny

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I voted for "fun" because I enjoy gardening more than anything else. The benefits are too numerous to list.

Edited to add: My daughter says, "Mom, it's your PASSION!"

This message was edited Jan 11, 2008 6:32 AM

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

I voted for food, but I also garden because I enjoy doing it and for my health.

Seward, AK

All of the above and because I can and because it's a primal thing, if you have soil, seed and space, you just have to, it's natural, addicting and a learning experience every day.
Carol

Necedah, WI(Zone 4b)

JamesCO, too funny, I was going to write the exact same thing. :D

Norfolk, VA

i voted fun and other....while it is alot of fun to play in the dirt and grow new things, i think it is very calming for the soul to be out in the yard in my own little world.

Corning, NY(Zone 5a)

I voted for other, as I do it for my health, fun, food, beauty & teaching my Grandson the value of dirt & bugs;-)Anita

Thumbnail by NYVOICES99
Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I garden for food, the satisfaction of seeing things grow, a reconnection to the cycles of the natural world, and my mental health. Can't say I garden for profit...I think I make negative money. (On the other hand, it's cheaper than years of therapy. :)).

pam

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I garden for my health. I can only imagine what state of mind I'd be in if I hadn't discovered gardening as a means of therapy. It occupies my mind and gives me a never ending "To Do" list. The sense of accomplishment from seeing a seed germinate, grow and then flower is so rewarding. I talk to my plants and they listen. And God's close to me when I'm on my knees in my garden.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I garden for my health, sanity, and just for FUN. Nothing beats coming home at the end of a hard day at work and walking around my yard. I admire the blooms, touch the foliage, and smell the flowers. I talk to everything so they will all continue to make me happy. The butterflies, frogs, birds and other (beneficial) insects provide another paradigm to enter. Then, when I walk back into the house, my work day has vanished and serenity reigns!

Thank God for his special gift to us!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I garden because it is a way of getting to know my neighbors in New England. After moving from So. California - I found NE a "bit reserved", but discovered their love for gardening. Seems like a stranger is OK if they spend hours and hours working in their yard and people come by to chat. I get by with being a very "unique" addition to New England only (I think) because I spend many hours in the front yard - "gardening".

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

"Other," I garden for the curb appeal it adds to my property, I garden for the beauty of flowers, I garden so the butterflies and bees have food to eat, I garden because it's something anyone can do without much experience, a hobby to "grow" from. :)

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

for my mental health! Definitely a stress reliever, gives me something else to focus on besides research. And when I work in the garden, it is a peaceful time.

Richmond, VA

I voted food. And I take it seriously. Yes, I do love to garden just for the sheer pleasure it brings, but I also garden as matter of taste. I want fresh food with no chemicals, I love vegetables and herbs. Deep in my gardening soul when I bring in fresh lettuce and onions, I grew them with love and I know how good they will taste.

Arias

Boxford, MA(Zone 6a)

I voted "other" because, well, I HAVE to! Does that make sense? I mean, I enjoy it, but I have some particular need to make things grow. Especially from seed. I certainly wish I could make a living by gardening, but I don't know how.
My MIL told me I should work in a florist's- I told her that is about as far from actual gardening as you can get! Funny how non-gardeners can't figure us out... like I can figure us out!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I chose "For Fun" but I garden for many reason including: relaxation, exercise, fresh air and sunshine, fresh food, wildlife, and to enjoy the beauty of flowers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.